highest end WiFi routers and boosters? | FerrariChat

highest end WiFi routers and boosters?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have 2 year old eero systems. I'm in a 3 floor townhome and that has challenges sending signals through the floor. Lately it has been working even worse and the main router box is really hot to the touch.

What are the absolute best and strongest WiFi boxes out right now?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    rob lay likes this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Let me know how it works out for you

Glad i can help

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

rob lay likes this.
  5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had a big problem with this. I bought a few extender set ups that didn't fix the problem .

Ended up hiring and buying from my internet service provider (Verizon) to install their extender products . Works great now.

rob lay likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Innovativethinker and flash32 like this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Meraki. Not cheap but is the best.

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    With each hop it cuts the speed in half.

If you can run wires to WiFi pucks you’d be way better off, even run the wires outside then into a hidden puck on each floor.

set each floor to a different channel.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My speed tests didn't indicate that. The satellite on 2nd floor is connected direct to the router, 1st and 3rd floor are remote. However, 1st floor TV still going out sometimes although the WiFi signal is remaining strong (through computer), so guess I need an Apple TV as the LG a little iffy there.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This is good advice.

Our house is wired ethernet, with a wifi router up in the attic. We have a single device which needed a wifi connection all the way down in the basement (a treadmill) and the connection obviously sucked down there. I found an old wifi router (D-Link, I think) and plugged it into the ethernet port in the basement near the treadmill. I disabled its DHCP and assigned it a static IP like 192.168.1.2 and activated a new wifi network with a name different from our main wifi network. From there, I simply connected the treadmill to the new wifi network, and it was assigned a DHCP from the primary router up in the attic. Extremely strong signal now, and works a treat.

As a general however, I avoid wifi wherever possible and prefer statically assigned IP address with MAC reservations. It's more complicated to setup, but seems to greatly enhance day-to-day stability of the network.

p.s. the dummy wifi router in the basement has the ethernet cable plugged into one of the 4 'device' ports, not the WAN port.

rob lay likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    flash32 likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same here, speed test confirms very similar speeds, no drop hop to hop.

15. MikeIL

MikeIL Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Lazar
    I recently went with the TP-Link Deco system. I have x20 and X60 APs. The x60 is the new version and has been amazing. I have 9500 square feet to cover, 6k up and 3k downstairs. The primary is centrally located with secondary units about 40’ away with line of sight because the people who built this house didn’t wire it. The downstairs AP is about 40’ away, obviously no line of sight. I have very little signal loss. It roams and switches perfectly. I can’t say enough good things about it. You need to decide how many units you need at time of purchase. They only came in 2 or 3 packs when I got them 4-6 months ago. I bought a 2 pack and then a few months later I decided I needed a third for proper coverage. I had to buy a 2 pack. I now have a spare X20 in case something dies.

rob lay likes this.
  16. jamoses

jamoses Rookie

Feb 10, 2015
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    James Moses
    I recommend using Ruckus ZoneFlex access points. They can act as standalone or, more importantly, as a mesh network. They will relay the signal throughout the entire house, into the basement, and outdoors and over to the neighbors and down the road if you wish. All you need to do is power them up and connect at least one of them to the NAT router. You can pick them up on eBay for cheap. Speeds will be >500Mbps. R700/R500/T301 series are incredibly fast and you can use them with or without a ZoneDirector. There is now "Unleashed" software that allows for establishing a mesh, self-healling network. They're the Ferraris of WiFi devices. The T301s are fully weatherproof and focus 120 and 60 degree beams. These devices are industrial grade. Beam-forming, polarization selecting, multiple simultaneous clients at high bandwidths. At least do a google seach.

vraa likes this.
  17. Slavomeer

Slavomeer Rookie

May 30, 2020
    Poland
    I’m really amazed that they included Asus as on of the best routers list - I got two top-of-the-line recently - first was not worth the price, I’ve upgraded it to newer with WiFi6, hoping for upgrade, and it was even worse. Restarts were needed more than once a day sometimes, and control panel looks like every other “gaming” thing - designed for 14yo.

I see that OP already bought the device, but if someone is looking for “ultimate” networking solution, after having Netgear, TP Link, Asus and few others I have to say Ubiquity UniFi is my endgame. They are using these in hotels and every big spaces like concerts halls. They got everything needed for home up to whole office buildings.

18. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Surprised I dont see ubiquiti unifi mentioned anywhere here (or I missed it). I went through tens of different routers/ap's through the years and never had better zero-issue experience as with nice small business cisco router and UniFi access points.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  19. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Excellent advice. This is exactly what I do and it works great.

20. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    When I said there would be a drop, I thought you were connecting the 3rd unit through the wireless unit, which would cause a speed drop on the 3rd unit. You put the wired unit on the second floor, so only 1 hop to each unit.

While the speeds posted are sufficient to stream, the actually capacity of the units is much faster.

I have a ubiquity (sp?) unit that does over 1 gig between buildings (faster than my wired switches), which I use to connect two buildings about 100’ apart (point to point only, directional antennas).

For my house, the router is on one side, and I needed 3 units with two hops. I tried several setups and wasn’t satisfied with the results, Ended up running a wire over the roof to the far side of the house, then ran one wireless hop to the upstairs.

I use Apple TV’s, and even with 5g 15’ from the hotspot, the wired units loaded movies noticeably faster, perhaps it is an Apple TV thing. Our main TV is wired, the two bedroom units are wireless. While they still work fine, I’m annoyed when it takes 20 seconds to load the movie. I run Ubniqiti Unfi AC pros

What I do NOT like about many of the mesh units is they like to be your firewall, I run sonic wall routers and spend the money on the additional software to ensure a higher level of security.

In the end, it is whatever meets your needs.

21. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for pointing these out, if the Unify units ever fail I may give them a try.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, the problem with the 1st floor TV turned out not to be WiFi or the internet! at least I now have an upgraded WiFi system. ;) turns out the LG Smart TV just sucked for internet TV. I'm using Apple TV now and not a single hiccup!

23. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Do you make house calls ?

24. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Ruckus is pretty popular, you should be able to find someone local to help you out, it's not too complicated to get setup, but really the best thing is to get everything wired - if you can't do that - just get a new house :D