Pop up headlight motor problem | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pop up headlight motor problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by skl63, Jul 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henri66

henri66 Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Previously Maranello
    Lionworks Auto likes this.
  2. michael1017

michael1017 Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Michael Hartung
    Been there. Mine was right hand side. Diode expert reworked the motor. Much better than digging up a used one, though interchangeable with Volvo. working correctly at present.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    great find - you mean these guys right?
    https://www.diodedynamics.com/

4. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I am experiencing a right side headlight that has started not wanting to go up consistently... if I have the hood up, and turn on the headlights...then go twist the whith knob ever so slightly the head light will come up... I am guessing I need to dig out the motor and tear into it?

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Exactly how mine went bad. I had the motors rebuilt.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This usually means there is corrosion on the conductive metal disk inside the gearbox. Just open up the case and give the disk and contacts a clean.

Davidspop likes this.
  7. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    That looks like a weekend project to remove, unearth the motor from it's mastic cocoon, bust it open and then put it all back together.... so I will do that Saturday and report back!

Lionworks Auto and Qavion like this.
  8. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    That looks like a weekend project to remove, unearth the motor from it's mastic cocoon, bust it open and then put it all back together.... so I will do that Saturday and report back!

9. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    What a tedious project... but not really difficult. Right now my "cleaned up motor" is curing in a new mastic... I used FlexSeal paste rubber... seems to be working well so far.. but gotta give it some cure time before I reinstall.

So what is the procedure to get the headlight motors synced back up?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Should be automatic. Just make sure your fingers are clear when you reapply power to the car.

11. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    It was pretty easy... leave linkage off, run up, run down.. I added a step to run up, disconnect power, then reconnect in UP position... then reconnect power and check... that last step gave me full range up and down.... overall an easy fix but it sure looked daunting when I started :)

Lionworks Auto, Qavion and G. Pepper like this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fwiw I just repaired the headlight motors on a 456. It was the foam gasket that contaminated the contacts within the motor’s gearbox. I am not confident that diodes are a common problem based on just how obvious the issue was in my case. But I don’t have the experience of others. Either way, problem solved. I just used rtv to seal the gearbox back up and tapped the prior peened bosses to M3 and installed machine screws to hold it down.

13. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @xplodee I agree I think it is the foam gasket that deteriorates and "gums up" the motor contacts... I did not even look at the diodes in mine, I just cleaned out the "gunk" and relubricated and reassembled....