430 - 2005 F430 ZFFEW58A850141776 Diary/Log | FerrariChat

430 2005 F430 ZFFEW58A850141776 Diary/Log

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

For potential future owners. You'll also note that I'm trying to keep all of the receipts and records in the red binder between the seats as seen on the attached pic.

10/3/19 - Mileage 24,878

Received my car back from Josh Hill's shop in Austin last weekend. He replaced my original headers with the Fabspeed set I brought him (ordered directly from Fabspeed). I ordered the blankets with them, and they were installed as well. He said installation went smoothly. The car sounds much better, and even the drive feels more crisp for lack of better words.

He also re-adjusted the window regulator to align the windows, and he was able to remove the black paint on the exhaust tips.

Today I had the leather conditioned, the car waxed, and carpets shampoo'd. Leather looks good minus some fading on the driver side seat support.
    --------

Body touchups since my ownership - I'm almost done removing the non-original black painted items that were on the car when I purchased it. The rear view mirrors were painted locally to stock color, all four tail lights/sidemarkers were polished earlier this year to remove the black out material, and the tail pipes are back to original color. The only remaining items that are black are the rear cavalino and the Ferrari plate on top of the trunk lid.

-------

For those who hadn't seen my other posts, the car was purchased in January of 2019 from the Luxury Auto Collection in Scottsdale, it was advertised at 22,610 miles ( so maybe a few more than that) and they claimed 84% clutch life remaining. I did not have a PPI performed on the car before purchase. Car had a clean Carfax, still does, and no accidents so far under my ownership. I drove it straight to Austin where it resides (1,000 miles later) in a non-climate controlled residential garage. Upon arrival we did an oil change using the Ricambi kit, a transmission fluid change, replaced air intake filters, and spark plugs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BillDono, mwstewart, 303WIN and 4 others like this.
  2. DaChosen1FoSho

DaChosen1FoSho Karting

Dec 23, 2017
    Looks great man!

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks!

4. 303WIN

303WIN Rookie

Jul 18, 2017
    Denver, Co
    Full Name:
    Winn Nguyen
    Nice car and color choice VAF84, I just picked up the same color and interior color too :)

Attached Files:

dgi and VAF84 like this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Wow, your F430 looks great! Gotta love the color combo. I like it’s because it’s clean and understated outside, but the interior gives it the feel of a special occasion. Not to mention less worries about paint fade and small imperfections.

Seeing yours makes me want to remove the stripe on mine. Unfortunately, it’s under the front end protective film, and I’m also worried about there being a noticeable difference in paint once removed. Seems it may have been done by the original owner.

303WIN likes this.
  6. 303WIN

303WIN Rookie

Jul 18, 2017
    Denver, Co
    Full Name:
    Winn Nguyen
    You're exactly correct why I picked this color combo as well. Funny, seeing yours make me want the strips. It's still a sweet ride either way :)

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Latest Updates to the diary for my F430:

The following items were done by Josh Hill at Exotic Power and Performance in Austin, TX

January 2020
    1. Due to Josh recommending a replacement of the F1 Pump as it appeared to be towards the end of its lifespan, the stock pump (generation 1) was replaced with a gen 2 pump (for later F430 models). Some minor customization had to be done, but everything came out working great, and avoided potentially being stranded if not proactively addressed.
    2. Vapor (charcoal) canister was replaced using parts from Ricambi. 219311 Fuel Vapor Filter
    3. O2 sensor adapters provided by Fabspeed were tightened up (I wanted him to check out a slight rattle near the exhaust).

September 2020 (none bullet lines (1 & 2) are Josh’s notes on the invoice)

1. Customer States CEL Illuminated with Fault P2196: B1/S1 Stuck Rich. Replaced Lambda Sensor & Cleared Faults. Found Rear Lambda Sensor Extenders Loose on LH & RH Sensors. Re-tightened Both Extenders. Took Vehicle for Extended Road Test to Reset Readiness Monitors & Verify CEL is Repaired. Extenders are Still Tight After Test Drive.
      • O2 Sensor Replaced
      • O2 Extenders tightened
    2. During Test Drive, E-Diff Warning Illuminated on Dash. Found Faults: 6016: Plausibility of Valve Current & Lock Pressure, 6017: Check-Pressure Deviation Too High. Diagnosis Finds E-Diff Solenoid Open Circuit. Advise Replacing Solenoid & Bleed E-Diff.
    • Replaced 205742 E-DIFF CONTROL VALVE SOLENOID - F430 w/ Ricambi part

E60 M5 likes this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Forgot to add that as of 9/22/2020 the clutch reading was 35% spent (65% remaining). Josh told me he adjusted the PIS settings to tighten up the shifts while the car was in there. To me there was a notable improvement in the shifting when I picked up the car and drove it home.

I also paid for a set of four Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that will be installed tomorrow. They were purchased from Tread Connection in Austin and likely to be installed by Ferrari of Austin or Discount Tire next door.

E60 M5 likes this.
  9. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Did the spacers work? I always like to hear how they are working for guys.

10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Good timing on the follow up. Do you mean the o2 extenders? If so, to be honest I’m having issues with them coming loose thus triggering the CEL after a while, and a concern about the tread getting stripped. Cannot confirm that has happened, but it’s something I’m about to investigate. I really hope that’s not the case, specifically on the catalytic converter side of it. Otherwise the setup has been awesome.

By the way, I think this is the third time they have come loose. This is after Josh tightened them even tighter this last go around.

11. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You mentioned a "slight rattle near the exhaust"... are you sure it's the O2 extenders and not the valves? The valves are notorious for rattling, especially at cold idle.

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Yes, they were found to be loose both times I brought it back to Josh, and the noise immediately went away after he tightened them. This last time I got in there to look and they are completely loose. I'm surprised they are still attached to be honest. So the car drove great (best it has since purchase honestly) when I drove it back from Josh's shop. I drove it from there, to Ferrari of Austin, then to my house, and at the track. Zero issues. I started hearing the rattling after the track, and got the same o2 sensor CEL I had last time I had to take it to the shop. Says there's no reading at all. I looked back there and they were completely loose, but still in place. I think the other part of the rattle is one of the taillights finally had a tab fail so I'll have to replace that taillight too. It's clearly vibrating against the bumper.

13. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Yes, unfortunately they can come loose. I have heard many different ways to keep them on ( high temp loctite or a spot weld, I do not suggest either one) but that is more up to you. They weigh to much and have too much vibration on them to stay tight.

14. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

My dad wanted to spot weld and I told him no. Didn't want a future owner to have to deal with that. As long as the tread is not stripped on the catalytic, I may end up plugging the o2 sensors back in and having Josh tune the ECU to permanently address the issue and pick up some hp in the processes.

15. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    That is the only way to guarantee on issues.

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Lovely silver exterior but the interior, OMG only after lunch with sunglasses

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Thought you were banned. What happened?

18. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    VAF84 and armedferret like this.
  19. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Have not, but will look into it once we make sure all is good. Thanks for the tip!

20. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    You should be able to fix that taillight with the kit from Skyehye. Check the classifieds. I’ve done that fix on two sets. One set was new and one set was original, with a few cracks.

VAF84 likes this.
  21. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Will look into that. Need to find some time to take the light out and see how bad it is after this move is done. Would be nice to salvage it, got some pricing on new ones and it’s pretty steep for one light.

Update to the diary:

Ferrari of Austin returned the F430 to me today. They checked the brakes after the track event, and they are still good. More importantly they checked the extender connections that had triggered the CEL. The Fabspeed extender threads were in bad shape (probably from all the re-tightening), FoA removed the extender and plugged them back in to the factory connection. The computer passed all of the emissions checks and should pass inspection in the current state according to the service advisor (Rocky). They drove it a few times and CEL did not come back on. Would be pretty awesome if I can drive it without further modification and maintain CEL clear and pass inspection, but I doubt I’ll know for sure until I get to drive it quite a bit more.

22. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Update to the Diary:

26,XXX miles
    • Three weeks ago the car got clay treatment and wax at H2O in Baton Rouge
    • Windshield wipers replaced two weeks ago
    • Installed the Optima Redtop Battery (34R, 800CCA) yesterday evening. The bar attached to the J-Hooks fit great. Still has a plug for the CTEK trickle charger attached. Noticeable improvement upon startup, will be maintained on a trickle charger full time. Replaces an interstate battery the previous owner had.
    • Last week I completed the full install of the radio face unit (SPH-10BT). I got the Bluetooth working on my iPhone, it has a phone mic on the a-pillar. Works great, and looks good when you change the unit colors (through the app) to dark red to match the interior.
    • Replaced passenger inner tail light with Scud Ing replacement. Got a great deal compared to factory, and it looks better made to increase the time between failures where the light bolts into the car. Main cosmetic difference is some ingrained codes on the red colored covers. I think they are for regulatory purposes.
    • Vehicle currently resides in my garage and covered with the http://www.carbag.com/about-us/ , and a desiccant to keep moisture out.
    • No more rattle issues from O2 sensors after Ferrari of Austin's fix, no CEL yet since the removal of the extenders, but haven't driven it too much.
    At this point I feel the car is sorted, and should be (hopefully) regular maintenance going forward.

HersheyE and AandSC like this.
  23. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    I hate silver cars... but this is very nice, silver and red looks good !

VAF84 likes this.
  24. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Any particular reason for storing the car for winter in Austin, Texas? I would think there are some decent days unlike the midwest.

25. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@Felix Yuen - I've grown to really love this color combo. It's so much better in person too! There's a good chance that going forward my next sports car will have a similar color combo.

@Sj_engr - I just moved the car with me to Baton Rouge while I'm on my current work project. It's 7 days a week for the next few months, so there's not a lot of time to drive it (especially with small kids). I can actually work on it while it's here to keep it better maintained; also do a quick drive here and there to keep things lubricated and keep the tires from getting flat spots. The cover is for two reasons. One, to keep mice from taking up residence in the car and prevent them from chewing up electricals or getting lost in the A/C ducts and dying there. Second, to keep a low profile since I'm keeping my temporary residence in an apartment complex. The complex itself is nice, but a Ferrari sticks out like a sore thumb in this area; it's better if people don't know it's here. You are correct though, this is actually the best time to drive in the Austin area.