Ferrari 612 Front light cover clouding | FerrariChat

Ferrari 612 Front light cover clouding

Discussion in '612/599' started by Dutch80210, Nov 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutch80210

Dutch80210 Rookie

Mar 27, 2015
    I am about to buy a 2006 Ferrari 612 Black/Tan in perfect condition.
    The one comment I have is that the Light covers are clouding on this inside and even appear to have some dried up water drops.

The Ferrari dealer says these lenses do not open and cannot be cleaned on the inside.
    Replacement at crazy high cost is the only option.

Anybody with the same experience and possible solution?

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Taking them apart isn’t particularly easy, but it has certainly been done a number of times on other Ferrari headlight units of the same vintage. No reason why it can’t be done if you really take your time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    i just repaired my cloudy lights.
    It’s quite easy- get the headlights out and use a Dremmel mini cutter- there is a perfect slot in the light housing to guide you all the way round the lens cover. The way the lens is attached means you won’t create any visible damage and you have a nice surface to allow resealing. Reseal with marine mastic. Takes about 45 mins per light. If they ever cloud up in future, easy for me to re-open and clean.
    Oh, and they look like new!!

Nospinzone, 360Marnix and Makuono like this.
  4. Dutch80210

Dutch80210 Rookie

Mar 27, 2015
    Great idea? I am going to propose this and see what the dealership says. And when they balk at it I'll find someone who will attempt it. With the 612 the nose comes at you with the headlights looking at you first?! They are the advertisement of this Ferrari. Thanks so much for this option as I know this will work!!! Thanks

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldn't attempt to try DKurtaz' repair myself, but I have a first class auto body guy that I know could do that if/when I need it done.

6. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is great news, I’ll do mine soon as weather is starting to turn here and I won’t be driving the car much.
    I have a digital shop manual and haven’t looked through yet on how to remove the lights, how was your experience removing them? Is it pretty straightforward? Or are there some tricks to getting them out

7. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    #7 DKurtaz, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Always to the dealer - they removed them and put them back in…but i did the lens removal- Really easy- you will see the slot to follow with the dremmel and it only slices through a very thin part of the lens in a non visible area and where it actually cuts it creates a perfect flat area to easily reseal. Difficult to describe but when you do it you will see what I mean.

8. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    There is a fellow in the Porsche community that restores lights and lenses. He does extraordinary work, concourse quality. I have bought several products for my Porsche's. Given his skillset, tools and the techniques he has developed you might look at his page and think about contacting him to see if he's willing.

https://911bestinclass.com/

Alternately .... Perhaps one of the companies that restores sticky issues in our cars might be willing to enter an additional business line.

9. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the help, I just bought my car a few weeks ago and had been looking a while, most I saw had some haze in the lights, so I would think there is definitely going to be a market in the future, but I’ll do mine myself as I enjoy those kind of projects, and honestly don’t have unlimited funds to pay for everything.

10. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Congrats on the new car. You will enjoy it.