How to DIY filling A/C? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to DIY filling A/C?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I'm not a 328 owner but I have the workshop manual. It says 1kg (1000g) R12, what means 800 - 850g R134a.
    No matter if you have a Sanden or York compressor. But maybe in the UK midlands weather 650g is enough. Just kidding :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    850 gram of 134a is what I have been using both for the 308 and 512BBi. Overfilling will reduce the performance.

Best, Peter

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  3. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That's not strictly correct. Sight glasses were and are used as a service aid on many systems apart from R12 . They're now not as common on smaller systems; to cut down on cost, reduce the potential for leaks, plus in modern cars the position of receivers often means you cant see them or they're built into the condenser. R134a condenses to a liquid just like R12. The liquid line that feeds the expansion valve, so called as it should be full of sub cooled liquid, should be free from refrigerant vapour, and this is so the expansion valve can work at its best. Expansion valves control by superheat, which controls evaporator capacity. The sight glass is indicating whether or not the liquid line is full.
    However you charge these systems, it is well worth validating the charge by superheat measurement, and you should then know how hard the evaporator is working. These systems are pretty wheezy to start with and with these measurements you could also determine the best course of action for a system upgrade......

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #29 mike996, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Good luck Martin! I became a reasonably competent AC tech NOT because I really wanted to but because three different AC shops I took my 328 to made the AC worse each time! I decided that the only way to get it right was to learn to do it myself!

FWIW, the last of the so-called AC shops overfilled the system to the point the compressor immediately locked up when switched on. The tech then said I needed a new compressor since it couldn't handle the "1/2 pound of extra refrigerant" he added to "make sure it cooled really well!" I asked him to remove that extra 1/2 pound and the compressor then worked OK. I drove home in disgust (three's a charm) and began studying auto AC/obtained the gauges/vac pump, etc and have done all my own AC work since.

Re sight gauges- There is a lot of information available re sight glasses/R134. For those that are not sure either way, do some searching and then make your own decision about using the sight glass to determine refrigerant charge. As I say about virtually everything, do the research and then do whatever you are comfortable doing.

Example, I use propane-based refrigerant in my 328; others are not comfortable doing that. ;)

Aus_yz and Martin308GTB like this.
  5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Plus you can go to lengths that are not economically feasible for a commercial shop.

For example, a shop may pull a vacuum on the system for a couple of hours and consider the system sufficiently leak-free. At home, I pressurize the system to 100 psi with nitrogen for 48 hours. On the BMW, the last leak I had to hunt down was 1/2 psi per day at 100 psi. (The stupid car had 5 leaks.) (Yes, ambient temperature variation was accommodated in the measurements.)

Martin308GTB and mike996 like this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    This hangs on my garage wall:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best from Germany
    Martin

Aus_yz and pshoejberg like this.
  7. Aus_yz

Aus_yz Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mika
    #32 Aus_yz, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    I had my 308 recharged with R134a by an mobile A/C guy and it only stayed cold for 3 months . After a bit of research I bought a vacuum pump and gauges replaced the receiver dryer and added a little air con oil then recharged with one 425gr can of hychill minus 30 gas. It has been 10 months and the A/C still blows cold.

https://hychill.com.au/en/products/minus-30

Minus 30 is a blend of R600a and R290, two naturally occurring hydrocarbon refrigerant gases and is perfect for use in automotive air-conditioning systems and in refrigeration applications.
    • Operates at lower pressures to R134A
    • Similar volumetric refrigerating effect to R12 and R134A
    • Can be used in a R12 or R134A compressor or a specific hydrocarbon compressor
    • Can be used with R12 or R134A heat exchangers & expansion devices
    • Compatible with most common refrigeration materials and lubricants

Saabguy likes this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've been using Duracool - another hydrocarbon refrigerant - for many years. I agree it works great - slightly better cooling efficiency than R12 and far better than R134. (Well...the refrigerant works great but the 328 AC remains, at best, fair).

However, be aware that none of the hydrocarbon refrigerants are approved for use in vehicles in the USA (yet). Can't speak for other countries. That makes it totally a DIY thing. If you use it you should stick an appropriate label in some visible location to prevent a shop or private individual from contaminating 'legal' refrigerants if they were to work on the system and evacuate the refrigerant.

Aus_yz likes this.
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I received the book the other day and studied the first 50 pages meanwhile. What a great tutorial. Thanks again for the hint.
    You could also call it "Vintage A/C for Dummies" :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Martin
    I've done mine several times as I remove the AC compressor when I have to pull the front cam cover.
    Several years ago I converted to R134 with no problems. I didn't change anything in fact the first time I did it I didn't even pull a vacuum on the system. It always worked great with AC temp around 50 - 55 degrees on the hottest days in traffic.

I just refilled again (2nd time in two months due to my error with front crank seal).

So here's the steps.

1. Get r134 from Ebay. Not a problem in US.
    2. Get adapter that screws onto can with gauge.
    3. You will need and R12 to R134 adapter for the low pressure fitting on the compressor.

This time I did the following.
    1. Changed all O rings from black to green. (got them from Harbor Freight) People say the black O rings will deteriorate over time but I actually never had any problems.
    2. Changed oil in compressor (original) to ESTER oil. Apparently important as there can be a chemical reaction with the original type oil (mineral ?).
    3 Pulled vacuum on system and left overnight it insure no leaks and probably helps gen moisture and such out.
    4. Hooked up charging adapter to low pressure side of compressor.
    5. Screwed can of R134 to adapter which punctures can.
    6. Filled with 1st can without engine running.
    7. Started engine, turned on AC and filled until gauge reads green. (AC may not "click" on until enough pressure)

I haven't changed anything in the system except the O rings, Compressor oil and R12 to R134.

One thing I did discover, which may be just my 40+ year old system, is that its very pressure sensitive. If it builds to much pressure it will "click off". I've had to bleed some pressure off to keep this from happening. You can hear the AC clutch kick off if the pressure builds to much.

I have a full set of AC gauges that I use for my home AC unit that will work but the cheap adapter works fine for me.

Best of luck
    Barry