Courtesy lights and door lights | FerrariChat

Courtesy lights and door lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bucci, Nov 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    1990 TR interior light, door lights and rear hatch lights not working. Check all the fuses and they look good. Do we know if these are on same circuit? Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Different fuses, Mark.

The door lights are on fuse #2 (Heated rear window, roof lamps, cigar lighter, doorlocks). Make sure these are also working. The battery supplies power to these.
    The engine lid lights use fuse #13 (sidelights, instrument lights, warning lights, licence plate lights) and require the ignition to be turned on and the exterior lights to be turned on.

3. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Thanks for the reply. Let me go at it again. I did find a wiring diagram but not sure where to start troubleshooting after proving the fuses are good.

4. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Your right, ignition on, outside lights on and the engine compartment lights work Now for the door lights, cig lighter and map lights. With ignition on and outside lights on, when I press either the cig lighter or map light I get a buzzer alarm..on my 348 nothing has to be on you just open door and the door lights come on.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Should be the same on a TR.

(Assuming that you have a LH Drive US version TR) Are you saying that :

1. Key "on", LH door open, map light "off" = you don't get a buzzer, but

2. Key "on", LH door open, map light "on" = you do get a buzzer?

(If things are working correctly, you should get a buzzer for both 1 and 2.)

Also, if you open the RH door, do the door lights work?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Bizarre. With faults like this, it's usually a faulty earth or a combination of broken bits.

With the ignition key out of the lock and the driver's door open, do both door lights not work and the ignition lock (surround) light not work?

Would an inoperative "driver's door open" switch in combination with a shorted lamp or lampholder cause this?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just a bad earth at the switches (for both switches) in the Driver's door would cause it (but it would also cause the buzzer to not work with just the key "on" and the LH door open, and an open RH door should still work the door lights -- so was hoping the OP could confirm/deny).

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Both switches? Does the US TR have two switches for each door like the F348 (one for the mousetrack belts)?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Yes, but the "extra" one in the Driver's door is used for both the LH mousebelt control and for the "key left in ignition" buzzer -- so they (misleadingly IMO) label them in the wiring diagram as:

(LH) 72 - Switch for buzzer of ignition key not removed

(RH) 67 - Switch for seat belt, passenger side

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting, thanks.

I've modified my colour diagram for anyone interested (link expires in 7 days)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uo82531worjmkb/Testarossa%28USA%29PassiveSeatBelts%26ExternalMirrorsFig4.GIF?dl=0

My other links are now dead due to a changes made by my internet provider. I've set up a (free) Dropbox account, but it comes with a time limitation. Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to operate the Dropbox controls. Maybe someone can tell me if the link above works?

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Link works. Thanks for doing that.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    OK, ran through it again. Assume key is in ignition but it is off. If I open the door (either one) I get no door lights and no door buzzer. Then with door still open I turn ignition, then the buzzer sounds because door is open. During any opening and closing, the seatbelt rabbits are working properly. Then I close the door and the buzzer stops. Then with ignition still on, I hit either the map light button or depress the cig lighter and the buzzer starts again, even with all doors closed, but yet still no lights, just a buzzer which appears to be the same buzzer when the door is open, but coming back on when light buttons are hit or cig. Thanks for the diagrams. I'll have to start probing, but the door plunger switches (4) appear to be operating. Passenger operates rabbit and the other must operate lights and for the two on driver, one runs rabbit and other runs buzzer which I assume should be the same one operating lights. So with both lights switches not turning any lights on I have to believe it is not the switches but something further upstream or downstream. Tks

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK, you're a witch, too :)

No, on the Driver's side, one switch just runs the door lights, and the other switch runs both the buzzer and the mousebelt.

One easy upfront thing to do is to just unplug/replug the k horizontal white connector at the bottom of the fuse-relay panel. Then, with the k connector plugged in, measure the voltage from the terminal with the two RN (red-black) wires at one end of the k connector to the negative battery terminal = should be +12V (even with the key "off").

Few other questions:

1. Is the cigarette lighter working? (If you have +12 at those RN wires in the k connector, it should. If you don't, it won't.)

2. Do you have an added alarm that detects the doors being opened (i.e., any wiring modifications)?

3. When you are in the condition where operating the cigarette lighter (wrongly) sounds the buzzer, does operating either window motor also (wrongly) sound the buzzer?

raysur likes this.
  14. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Something about these '90 Testarossas. :D

15. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    So on my driver door, one switch runs the mouse and the other turns off the buzzer. Which one runs the lights is still undetermined , at least for me.
    Other-
    1. The light around the cig lighter works but it doesn't heat up
    2. Yes, there is an alarm that detects doors opening (Old Hafco alarm, I haven't dared to try it, but it seems to be hooked up and alive along with a radar detector, which also works). Who ever did the install seemed to know what they were doing.
    3. No, windows do not buzz and operate fine.
    4. I did notice driver ash tray light works but the passenger is actually missing. Probably down in the door. But that doesn't look like it is on same circuit.

I will check the K connector next. I think I lost a ground somewhere just not sure where to look. These highlighted ones in the attachment look critical.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The light around the cigarette lighter uses a different power source. It seems to run off the instrument dimmer rheostat.

Sounds like one possibility. Old alarms are known to cause problems.

Correct. As the diagram shows, it runs off the sidelights (instrument lights, etc) fuse.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #18 Qavion, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Did you check fuse 2 (specifically)?

Also, you said you pushed the map light switch. Did the map light work? The map light uses the same fuse as the cigarette lighter and interior light. Also, does the interior light work when you manually select it (with the doors closed)?

18. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Well after a closer look at the fuse. It was blown. Everything works. Sorry for the confusion but the mirror image of the wiring diagram tricked me. All good. Tks

Qavion likes this.
  19. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Ps anyone ever have this problem. When I pop up the head lights, the passenger one goes back down and up again on its own 3 times then it stays up and is then normal. I am thinking a micro switch?

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You should really start a new thread when you want to change subjects.

Most likely, but can also be caused by a bad relay -- try swapping relays E and F (if you can find them ;)) to see if the trouble changes sides. If no change, then go after the head motor (which has the built-in switches).

21. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Will do. Tks

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A trap for newbies. Ferrari have a tradition of drawing the underside/rear side of components on their wiring diagrams. It doesn't help with diagnosis (IMHO).