Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    ‘It's the thing that people don't see’ – Pete Bonnington on how ‘rock star’ Hamilton keeps improving

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.its-the-thing-that-people-dont-see-pete-bonnington-on-how-rock-star-hamilton.3qtIkb3iKd5v71H5Nh5Ckp.html?fbclid=IwAR2mMCBO5f2bybWqZd1262ZkmI3A1VJBx1n6Gmg9G32gZmCWT1-gGNXBpQs

Pete ‘Bono’ Bonnington went from working with seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Mercedes to helping Lewis Hamilton to become one himself at the team. And Hamilton’s race engineer was full of praise for the way his driver had transformed himself from a “rock star” F1 driver into the sport’s most complete performer.

Hamilton famously replaced Schumacher at Mercedes in 2013, making a shock move over to the Silver Arrows from the McLaren team who had supported him since his karting days. And interviewed after Hamilton had secured his seventh drivers’ title at the Turkish Grand Prix, Bonnington remembered his and Hamilton's first encounter at Mercedes.
    “The first time he came to the factory, that’s the first time we met and the first time we started working [together],” said Bonnington. “It felt like he was a rock star walking in. Looking back at the pictures, you just think, ‘Wow, this is Lewis’. Michael was such a legend, a great driver to have worked with. And then Lewis comes along and you think, this is the next breed. He’s here and he’s the rock star – and I’m the one in charge.

“Back then [in 2013] he wasn't quite as polished as he is now,” added Bonnington after Hamilton’s Turkish Grand Prix triumph. “Now, today, just wow. Performances like today, it’s the strength that he has that just shines through.”
    Bonnington has been alongside Hamilton for each of his six drivers’ titles with Mercedes, the pair having won every crown since 2014 bar one. But asked at Istanbul Park how title #7 – which saw Hamilton match Schumacher’s championship record – compared with the others, Bonnington demurred.

“They’re all just super special and, to be honest, they’re fantastic,” he said. “You can’t compare one to the other, they just keep building year on year and improving.
    “Each year, you’ve got to climb the same mountain, and it’s so great to get up here and look at the view,” he added. “And this year, with all the current troubles in the world, in this climate, it’s been really special to do it, to maintain focus and really make sure that we bring the result in that the team deserves.
    “We've kept improving, chipping away, year on year, just trying to find what's the next thing that we can learn, where can we find that next bit of performance. [Lewis] just embraces it, which is really great. It's the thing that people probably don't see but it's just that ability to learn and soak up the next thing.”

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think he should be knighted. He doesn't live in Britain. Doesn't pay tax in Britain.

I don't blame him for not living in Britain (nor do I blame any of the guys packing their bags as soon as they can to live somewhere more tax efficient), but I'm also a firm believer if someone ''abandons'' the country he lived in his entire life, he also loses the right to any accolations (and voting and whatnot).

stavura, Wikdstrate, Picchu88 and 4 others like this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I accept your reasons.
    As for not living in Britain, Hamilton would be just one of many Brits receing an honour who lives abroad to avoid paying taxes.
    Many British entrepreneurs, industry leaders, entertainers and else have elected to leave the UK to avoid punitive taxes, and still received distinctions.
    It's how they contribute to Britain that matters, for them to be considered.
    Many tax exiles run profitable businesses that benefit the UK, provide jobs and pay company taxes as well: Dyson, Ineos, etc ...
    But anyway, I find the honours system laughable.

Boomhauer, kraftwerk, fer312t and 2 others like this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What about Sir Jackie Stewart
    Sir Sean Connery
    Sir Michael Caine, etc ... all tax exiles.

kraftwerk and Flavio_C like this.
  5. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    The same thing is happening in the U.S. A lot of rich people are leaving New York and California [due to the state and property taxes] and moving to Texas, Florida and the Carolinas to name a few. The advantage of remote work has made it easier to make the transition.

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I would like to comment your PR post but we would be banned for sure.
    I just feel nauseous reading some of the phrases.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Evidently P&R is fine for our mates down under .. whole threads about those things ...go figure.

greg328 and Jakuzzi like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed lol
    Remarquez on donne bien la légion d honneur à n importe qui nous aussi;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpalmito likes this.
  9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You are not correct. Hamilton does have a residence in the UK and is among the top 5,000 highest tax payers (in pop of ~66 million.)

william likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Résidence probably but the man splits his time between Monaco and LA.
    Who gives a #2 if he is going to be knighted? Doesn’t mean anything. Years back it used to
    Be doctors , scientists, ware heroes etc...
    Now you got Elton John and others.
    What has Hamilton exactly do ?
    Promote dreams for minorities that’s great but he didn’t compete for Britain ; he competes under his name, for his own legacy etc.
    If he is knighted awesome if not will it change anyone’s life here or in
    The world?

greg328, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Yep I’m one of them. Why pay cray Bay Area money for
    A house when u can
    Be remote ?;)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    My sentiment was prescient as usual :cool:

Years back it was all equally or more dubious...honors list has always been a mix great, good, and plenty of the absolute beastly.

A knighthood for Lewis will be tip in the right direction. :D

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Taken more F1 records than anyone in history !?!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

And that serves Britain ?
    He races for himself not for the country. F1 isn’t soccer World Cup. Not so long ago he wasn’t that loved in England AND he was out there criticizing is hometown.
    Hamilton wants a lot less of Britain than he wants of America: the tats, still i rise from 2 pac, his arrest t shirt,Nicole, the Hollywood life and then his green move which is so LA.
    He gets it or it doesn’t who cares.
    Ppl that are actual heroes to a country and who change the course of their own countries should get it imo. It’s all too showbiz nowadays;)

15. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #1040 Terra, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    You remind me of those "cynical" people who don't like a musical group (or singer) because of a belief they've "sold out" by garnering a too widespread popularity/following.

Uber-success sucks, in some bitter/resentful people's eyes, I guess . . .

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The only thing should be knighted was the Mercs over the years...and Bottas. For making himself 2.0 or 3.0 and a complete useless driver against Hamilton. Definitely the worst number 2 i've seen in years.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

#1042 Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    What are u talking about?
    I’m giving u the real. What does it have to do with Uber succès? We talking about freaking being a knight. U know what a knight is ? What is supposed to mean.
    Jeeez way to want to want to start a controversy out of nothing.

Let’s be real Hamilton is a rockstar/pop star he is doing HIM and along the way now is engaged in social causes.
    U think it’s good and enough to be a knight GREAT , hyper great, amazing!
    But don’t go out there talking about bitterness, resentment or what the heck u don’t even know. Just pathetic. I’m sorry just can’t stand those stupid comments; I won the basketball European championship with the French national team at 16, I came to the USA to live my dream, married my dream wife, I got wonderful kids, 2 Ferraris , im healthy. Im good.So for u to be out there talking resentment who the heck are u? Really?
    I’m entitled to speak u the facts and what I believe. It may be right or it may be wrong. Hamilton is a great driver end of the story. If u think he is a knight it’s all cool. I’m not going to tell u that u are a groupie infatuated with him.
    I said many times he has a great life, he worked for it, deserves it. Am I a fan of the dude? Well- his success is well deserved. U don’t mistakenly become great. Do I like him? I don’t know him. I do find him hard to read that’s pretty much it.

And on that bombshell I’m out.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Haven't looked at a good side by side in a few months. Most interest in the total number of races and where Lewis will end up in his career. He needs 44 more races to equal the length of time MS spent in F1.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You are so biaised this is almost comical.

Before insulting others, do your own soul-searching. There is work ..

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope that he will reach 100 poles and 100 wins. That would make 2 records very difficult to beat.

21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Pete ‘Bono’ Bonnington went from working with seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Mercedes to helping Lewis Hamilton to become one himself at the team.

Pete learned from Schumacher and passed it onto Lewis.
    Lewis has a long list of people to thank.

PS. Lewis in more Boy-Band than Rock Star ;)
    Pete doesn't know so much outside of his F1 bubble

22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What an antiquated way of thinkibg Bas. So many greats and geniuses contributted to their native countries even though they were abroad. So Einstein, Hayek, Von Mises, etc., shouldn't have got any accolations?? How many Nobel prize winners such as Ivar Giaever developed their research in the USA??

Boomhauer, william and kraftwerk like this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What about Jack Steawart and Sean Connery?

william and kraftwerk like this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

What about them? Sean is dead and lived his later years in the bahamas.
    They are not monégasque, only for tax purposes. Little respect for that at least roger Federer still lives and may his taxes in Switzerland

jpalmito likes this.
  25. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You are still at it I see, well all you are doing is reinforcing the fact folk love to hate a winner. ;)

Knight him I say.

Boomhauer, william and Terra like this.