My old 456 M GT is offered on Bring A Trailer | FerrariChat

My old 456 M GT is offered on Bring A Trailer

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by open roads, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I really loved my old car. And it's the most handsome colors IMO. Argento over Sabbia piped in Black.

The seller there seemed to question my previous ownership. But I could tell more than I have. Basically though. It's still the one to have.

paulchua, Il Tifoso and ferraridriver like this.
  2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Love it :)
    That's the same interior as my 550, Sabbia with black pipping

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That seller doesn’t perhaps appreciate that given other “driver” mile cars he is right at market value given deferred maintenance

4. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    #4 F11, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just tried to put it up at BaT it worked for me

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thanks guys. I had forgotten that post from long ago.

And reading it. Made me tear up again.

After all these years.

Thank you.

7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sentimental attachment is tough.....I rarely sell and that’s a reason why my garages are bursting.

I’m eyeballs deep in a search for the right 550/575 (I’m pretty sure the right one is physically close to me which is great)... and I’m grateful to have an extremely patient wife.

These automotive and motorcycle and airplane love affairs can be crazy....I admit to my wife I have a problem and have promised to add just 1 more horse to the stable.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Just keep repeating that last phrase Eric... it keeps working for me with my wife! She just rolls her eyes. :D

I’ve also run out of garage space and have had to resort to extra storage capacity to support the habit. If you’re in need of local (to us in the South Bay) storage, let me know - I have a good recommendation.

Ruben

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #9 Ferrari55whoa, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Ruben, Early this year, in my little collection I had owned two 1975 Chevy Laguna S3's (a Cannonball Run movie tribute car and the PHR Magazine "Project Talladega" car) and my deal with my wife is one in one out since I have so little free time and my situation is a little ridiculous.

It was really hard for me to let the red cannonball run tribute car go but the black Project Talladega car has a DART 427 with 601 HP and everyone should have one "hog cam" ridiculous american iron toy. :cool: plus race cars are like purses or shoes.....you need one for road course work, one for off road racing, one fancy car/truck for "date nights" etc......;-)

2 weeks ago I went to look at an industrial building down near watsonville and I've been keeping my eyes open as well on a building on Canepa's side of the main drag in Scotts Valley just north of his shop.

I also had looked at those auto-condo spaces in the club sportiva complex in San Jose.

24th year with my wife and I know I often have her bouncing off the rev limiter since I've got so many toys that don't get used.....but it would be great if I could consolidate and keep the toys in one space.

EDIT -- I also had driven around over by Ben Lomond and the old airport area wondering if I could find hangar space over there. I'm jealous of one of my friends in Boulder, CO that has a hangar for his man cave and toys (including his 1946 Luscomb Silvaire)

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Not only that (consolidating) but keeping them off site has a way of disconnecting them from her observation.

11. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    It hammered for 68k. With buyer premium that’s 71,400$ plus tax.

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To me that seemed amazing but the pool of 2000MY comparables is thin compared to the 6MT 1995's.

Another sign IMHO that the BaT marketplace has a lot of kool-aid.

A buyer that spends more than.....$50k for a car.....that doesn't do a PPI should have cubic yardage of wealth?

I've shared on here I got stung on the last car I bought sight unseen without PPI because I had the red mist and the lesson I learned having a DART 427 rebuilt was tuition enough to know better and my "gambling" is done as it pertains to "toy" purchases.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  13. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Well I’m victim of that too, but why do you think the pool of manual M cars is less than pre M? As far as I know they are about the same for examples in USA, 83 pre M, and 90 or so M cars in manual. Or is the 2000 model special in more ways than I’m aware?

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Salami I'm not sure frankly.... the right professor for this 456 topic is probably @Laserguru -- I'll be frank, even though prices on BaT are crazy, you compare all those '95 6MT sales I had listed on that auction (in the comments) and compare it to the newer model year cars and apparently there is a value divide.

Buying @open roads old car at that price without doing a PPI especially since it was due a major just seems irresponsible to me unless the buyer has cubic yardage.

I will admit it was nice a prior owner (not Open Roads) spent a sizable pile ($$$$$$) between 2014-2016 on leather and shock replacement (among others) so that is in the "plus" column for the buyer from today.

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #15 Laserguru, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    The answer is that the auto wasn't introduced until 1997. ALL previous 456's were manuals. Total production of 456 was 1951 Worldwide. 1548 were manuals, 403 were Autos. US share of that was likely about 525 cars. Very few 456 GTA made it here, something well less than 100 cars. This is a hard number to come by and 456 Autos are a hard find. Once the M was introduced, total worldwide production was 1338, with ~27% coming to the US....370 cars and 93-95 were manuals. Ferrari assessed that the US market really preferred the auto in this model. The split between auto and manual world wide was right at 50% whereas the US split was 25% manual/75% auto. I'll update my data on the 456s when I can. But you can see the numbers splits pretty dramatically between the earlier 456 and the Ms with regard to the transmission choices and availability.

As I've mentioned previously, the market is split into three groups in ascending price point: 456M GTA is the lowest group, 456 GT is the mid-group, and 456M GT is the highest price point group. The car that just sold on BaT went quite low for a 456M GT but it did have some issues and the discussion of the ownership chain and previous incidents really dampened that auction, I believe. Nobody likes controversy and arguments over history and provenance in an auction. Bad juju!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Seasons Greetings fellow tifosi.

I will agree that the seller did not distinguish himself with his conduct during the auction. And calling me a liar was probably his low point. More correctly, his being shown o be wrong in that assertion was his low point. But I believe he actually believed that I was lying at that time. ... For sure, he should have done a rudimentary search for facts. Before ignorantly making such an accusation. .... And given this (his) belief. One can only wonder what his reaction or response would have been if I had brought the facts to his attention privately.

Would a difference in his demeanor made for a better auction? Again, one can only wonder. But he could have avoided the controversy.

I believe the auction was fairly conducted . And that the result is a fair and valid data point. In a field with very few data points.

I hope that the new owner will take good care of her. And I do sincerely hope he will join our forum here. We have a wonderful forum.

Hey everyone. Enjoy your Ferrari on the open roads !

Salami likes this.
  17. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Would you care to give a synopsis of the drama surrounding the sale? I didn’t pay that close attention but I’m curious what the fuss was about.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just read the commentary on the auction. Seller was for sure out of bounds.

Simsimma (over there -- not sure if he is on here) also made a cute apropos comment....."dropped a bomb with the softest touch".....made me laugh/smile at the time

Frankly BaT IMHO is showing major premiums on a lot of cars and this one ended way higher than I had assumed it would given the proven prices for earlier '95 456's.....and the fact this one was going to need a fresh major. Just one man's opinion.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-456m-gt/