308 Window Crank | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Window Crank

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gonzo350, Jun 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Hey, I just got mine, it looks really nice. I'm not going to try my luck by jamming it into the window that doesn't have the old one broken off into it, but I'll have it when I need it! Thanks!

2. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    While I had my motor on the bench I was able to get the emergency crank to work. There are two balls that are forced between the pulley and the ring gear to disengage the ring and worm gear when the crank is inserted. If yours is not working perhaps the balls are not there or not properly inserted.

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Question - was the original crank part of the tool kit? Or a part bought seperatly?

4. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    yes, on my 308 it definetly was part of the original tool kit, I saw it in one of the parts manuals.

5. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Ditto on my 308 tool kit.

6. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    I'm starting to get a requests for 308 window cranks again....who out there is interested? If we get enough people signed up....I may do another run. If interested...please note it here rather than a private message to me....don't want anyone to miss out due to my mailbox being full. Not sure on current pricing, it's been a few years since the last run. Also, are there other common 308 unobtanium parts that people are needing? If there is sufficient quantity to justify reproducing some parts, I may have a go at it. Thoughts?

7. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Yes, I'd like one, if the price hasn't gone up too much.

8. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    Going to keep a running count. Including prior contacts we're at 3.

9. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    You aren't pressing hard enough. There are 2 ball bearings in the hole which must force the clutch apart, said clutch which keeps the motor from slipping.

When pressing the tool inward, the taper on the end pushes the balls sideways. This is not an efficient translation of force directions. So press harder and note, this operation doesn't get easier with each use.

10. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Yeah, once I had that thing apart, I finally realized how it works(?). You just gotta love those guys.

11. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Myles, can you post a picture of your reproduction window crank? Thx!!

12. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    It has been a decade now --- is mklein still making these cranks ? taking any orders?