F8 or STO? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually STO is very much for me if im solo and driving with a few mates on runs longer than a day/night as the passenger area can be used. I am not dismissing the STO at all.

My point all the way along is that it is nice to have basic options. A helmet can be placed on the passenger seat or footwell to and fro track anyway, leaving the small compartment novel.

I also wouldn’t consider an F8 as it feels far too refined for a proper sports car and lacks engagement. Today's track focused sports cars have made cars like F8 redundant to many enthusiasts, evidenced by the high level of interest now being expressed toward cars like STO, LT and GT Porsches where the only real compromise is less luggage space and/or bit more rd noise insulation.

2. ring007

ring007 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    STO! Naturally aspirated V10 and killer looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #228 Shadowfax, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Agree it isn't all about straight line speed. Ring time/lap times are important as it proves the superiority of the engineering, particularly when it also provides the sensations and a high level of driver engagement which most enthusiasts look for out of the ownership experience.

PS. 765LT is clearly offering a high level of driver engagement with the sensations enthusiasts seek, yet is extremely powerful and fast in a straight line so it should prove a winner in my book. I'm also sure Mclaren will review their current chassis set up and reclaim a better time than which they produced during that recent track test.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lack of baggage space is of minimal importance since my drives outside of track are predominantly a few hours in length and on isolated country roads.

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Agreed brother

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    What does the roof scoop do?

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Realzeus is that you? J/K

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don't worry. Realzeus will no doubt surface in due course to give us all a "zeperfs lesson" in between taking a large gulp of Ferrari Koolaid. Actually, if he drinks any more he could burst.

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    #235 Shack, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Very hard decision - I have been back and forth and came up with the following
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Quite liking "stealthmode"

Thecadster and IloveGT like this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    STO generates 420kg of downforce at top speed.

AMG GT BS generates 800kg at top speed.

Rather shocking differential.

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Sinister!

Shack likes this.
  13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Can't go wrong with a bat mobile spec but in my opinion a lighter colour would show the lines better and highlight the exterior carbon accents.

Coincid, Shack and dustman like this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    The Japan spec is super loud. Wouldnt think blue and orange would go together. I was wrong.

15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    This is the best info I could find on the various aero bits. It identified the roof scoop but the function isn’t described anywhere in the 61 page presentation. Cooling perhaps?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shack and SLDriver like this.
  16. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Loud and expensive. I reckon the launch spec has $100k+ of AdP options. It's basically a rolling billboard for AdP studios which is why I won't be shocked if US market cars reach well over $400k+ with specs.

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    F8.

Aesthetically, to each their own. But since it was the question: IMHO, the Huracan is a dead horse pleading VW to stop milking its aging ... design. Lamborghini really needs to get on with it already. I also think it sucks for owners of the Perf, etc, that they haven’t retired the design. It’s like the aging Aventadors... not sure the world needs another SV-Anything... SV-StopAlready.

The F8 is a totally different car, so it’s kind of pointless to compare. As others have mentioned, the STO doesn’t have much utility to me as a sports car for even short treks like cars and coffee, nor is it at all a desirable track car. There are many reasons why you don’t see many Huracans on track, but mostly because there are far better and more exhilarating track car options out there.

Go to a track day next year and tell me how many STOs you see.

MANDALAY and ScrappyB like this.
  18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Those CF and SC packages @SLDriver dont come cheap. Your spec will look tits no doubt.

SLDriver likes this.
  19. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The reason is the brakes. The carbons on the H and A suck for track use. The STO gets upgraded brakes designed for track use.

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Fair point however I am allergic to CF (its just eye candy IMO) so would rather spend on other items

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I don't know if you really drove the f8 but putting the n/a sound aside f8 is much better than huracan on so many points.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #247 Shadowfax, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Agree Dusty's use of F8 was an obvious ruse to promote STO discussion as F8 is so far from an STO its not funny. In this instance a more believable question would have been for Dusty to have asked Pista or STO. Now, if Dusty had titled the thread F8 or Bentley then fair call that would a been a far more appropriate question to have asked as these two have a hell of a lot more in common. But F8 or STO? Cmon get real.

Now onto STO. I would agree the bulk of these will be seen at cars and coffee more than anywhere else. And the racetrack? Hmm. OK. Lets hope these new brake rotors can at least last more than a day. That would be a good start. And Scrappy's observation with the down force differential between the MB BS along with no info regarding the actual purpose of the roofscoop is a little telling. Something tells me Gt3rs will remain on very safe ground in circuit company. Don't get me wrong I like the visual drama and ethos of the STO but i'd suspect when push comes to shove it will more likely be the usual Lambo show pony than an actual go and, stay going for long enough to count. And this is where the F8 aka Bentley may bring home the bacon even though it may be a very snoosy ride in comparison.

23. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #248 ScrappyB, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    I suspect that replacement cost of CCMR rotors and pads will scare away many owners who dream of tracking their STO.

Something I’ve been wondering - where is weight being added back if they’re only saving 43kgs? Larger calipers, brake ducting, wing.... what else? The STO upgrades to mainly carbon body work, has ditched the front transfer case and half shafts, thinner wind screen, a gutted interior, magnesium wheels ($16k upgrade?). I would have expected more than 43kgs.

Is the exhaust system carry over from the Evo or has it been upgraded to titanium like the GT2 RS and 765LT?

24. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    additional aero components?

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Roof scoop and decals. Wheel also look very fussy and weighty.