348 front bumper scraping | FerrariChat

348 front bumper scraping

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mike31, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    I had another thread originally when I got my car a few months ago where I talked about wiping out the bottom scoop upon my first arrival home sending fiberglass shards all over the road. I also was referred over to Craig at fast cars in Redondo Beach California where he took on the task of fixing my problem by removing material out of the middle of the bumper and then putting the two pieces back together less an inch or so. So here’s a photo of the finished result I’m no longer bumping on anything thank goodness he also installed two skid plates made out of a hard poly plastic type material which are very inexpensive and easy to replace in the future so I have double protectionagainst any more splintering fiberglass. Here’s a pic with 1 inch removed. Craig and the guys down there at fast cars do wonderful work they are first class Image Unavailable, Please Login Believe it or not but they went right through the air intake you can’t even tell. Give Craig a call if you’re in the area.

2. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Glad that get it fixed.

I hit a 6" rock on my '92 348tb way back when (had oncoming cars to my left and cars to my right -- no where to go). Put a hell of a hole in the front valence. Had a local guy do some fiberglass work and it looked good as new.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Good to hear it’s all fixed. Those additional skips plates are a double edged sword, as whilst the kind of protect your bumper, they also reduce your ride height so lowers your ground clearance!

wirth also checking the cars overall ride height. Spec is in the manual.

enjoy your car!

Ricambi America likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

True dat! It's a Faustian bargain (in a Ferrari kind of way).

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/skd-348-pe-348-skid-plates-in-polyethylene-1-pair.html

A348W likes this.
  5. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    Hey i think those look just like the skid plates on my car I paid 160 for the set. Nice to know where to get them

6. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    That was my first question for Craig at fast cars is this going to change my ride height so they went and checked it against the specs and they also had about a half a dozen other 348 there the owner owns to himself. We made sure I was down as low as I could go and then work up from there.

7. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    Glad to hear you got it fixed I had no idea it was made out of fiberglass I thought it was plastic but again this is a Ferrari I should’ve known that it wasn’t gonna be made out of plastic. I understand the price to replace one is sky high but I didn’t check into it I’d be curious to know how much a whole new front bumper cost

8. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Front and rear are actually made from Epoxy glass. Same for muffler heat shield. All the undertrays are f-glass. All can be repaired with polyester resin glass products. Been there-done that.

9. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    Thats good to know, I thought the two looked and felt like the same stuff. It sure makes a teeth grinding crunch when you hit bottom. Even with the mod I still touch zero here and there good for me having those skid plates 1/6” protuding.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Personally I’d take those skid plates off. Whilst they protect the cosmetics under the car, they in effect lower your ride height (1/6 less clearance) and make you bottom out more. It’s not the cosmetics you need to be worried about, it’s the force the grounding exerts on the bumper when you bottom out you need to be worried about as it can damage/ crack your bumper.

I don’t have them on my 348; they are fitted to my 355, came with the car, and next time I’m doing some work on the bumper they will be coming off and being sold/ binned.