Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I am right there with you.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    BAT needs to block all comments in the last 15 minutes unless it's a bidder and the seller.

lagunacc and 375+ like this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread (so sue me), but I don't understand how you can have shill bidding on BaT. One, I have never bid on BaT, but I believe you have to give them a credit card to bid, right? Unlike eBay, you have skin in the game. Two, shill bidding as I understand it is when the House bids to drive up a price. Is SCM suggesting BaT is shill bidding? (I no longer subscribe and have not read the article.)

Is there drunk bidding on BaT. Is a bear Catholic?

Is there "Friend of the Seller" bidding on BaT? I have no proof, but I'd be stunned if that doesn't happen.

Frankly, I think the BaT model is the best I have seen on online auctions. If you think you can do better, do it.

Pepsi10 likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe there is an agreement between BAT and seller if the auction will have a reserve or not. If no reserve, I don’t see how an alternate account could not be created to bid the car. Yes, if seller wins, he’s paying commission. He’s basically paying a commission to not let go of his car at a price he’s unsatisfied with.

You’ve witnessed this. You just weren’t paying enough attention ;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So what? Only person harmed is the seller who should have set a realistic reserve. Or am I missing something?

7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    This thread is a bunch of speculation from people who have probably never put in a serious bid on BAT- What do you guys bid when you see a new 458 listed on there? $15,000 then when someone serious and wants to buy it bids $140K you think thats a shill? lol...

Pepsi10, BT and Texas Forever like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You mean like the pretender/wannabe car guys with tens of thousands of posts on umpteen million car forums sharing their “opinions” on (collectible/exotic/vintage/etc) cars, including values, etc without any personal experience, including ownership of one.

Not to mention those “blowhards” (?) spending days on end posting tens of thousands of “opinions” or "just sharing" about everything under the sun from politics to their preferred underwear, on CAR (discussion) FORUMS or asking other “blowhards”(?) on those same forums what kind of car or toiletries, etc they should buy. :confused:

Man, if I had received a dime every time I’ve heard or read that excuse in past 4 decades... :rolleyes:

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I think BAT sets the rules. If they feel the particular car should be no reserve, you can choose to play or try elsewhere.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You obviously don’t read any of my car related posts, because if you did, you’ll understand that my car game is probably better than talk game. Current stable consists of:

2018 Huracan Performante - Rosso Mars
    2019 812 - Grigio Silverstone
    2005 Ford GT - White with Blue Stripes
    2017 Dodge Viper ACR - TA Orange

The last two were COVID purchases made in the spring. In addition to those current cars, my new 2021 765LT will be here in January, and I will be finalizing my 2022 Huracan STO spec in the next week or so. That car will be here Q3/Q4 of next year.

So yeah, I can buy cars, and I do buy cars. Here’s a couple pics, because I know pics or it didn’t happen.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Vance4re, tomc, mikesufka and 4 others like this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @TTR Relax. A 70’s Alfa GTV is a $25-$50k car. Problem is 90% if them are rust buckets and not all restorations are equal.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’m all relaxed, but I guess the joke must’ve touched some nerve endings or... :rolleyes:

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yep...I got a little edgy. We all know the forum posers. The herd generally runs them off pretty effectively. I just felt like the insinuation that I was one of them needed to be promptly and adequately addressed.

By the way, I should mention that my garage is quite modest compared to many (most?) on Fchat. I was not trying to peacock, I was merely trying to present my bona fides to refute the implication that I only talk about buying cars.

Texas Forever, TTR and ShineKen like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not trying to, really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yeah...I guess we found my Kryptonite. It’s some unknown dude online essentially accusing me of being all talk and no walk. Been on this site for a while now, and I never had a dude try me on like that. I guess next time I will just look the other way.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, there's no point in letting anyone here get to you. We're going pretty hard on a guy in the 458 forums about their Ferrari dealer experience and story involving an ex-MLB HOF's house. It's pretty entertaining. :)

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    A little garage flex on a car forum never hurt.

Texas Forever, Scott98 and Thecadster like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Don’t worry! It’s the Internet! Love ur cars;)
    I only have a FF and 355 so far from your levels myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We all like garage pics. And you’ve got a bad ass garage!

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  21. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    henryr and Thecadster like this.
  22. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FWIW this is what happened to me on BAT.I went through the process of listing a car. BAT indicated what they thought was a reasonable reserve.The car was listed and as is often the case little action until near the end.Lots of questions and some critics but "sticks and stones"as far as I was concerned. The car was not perfect but very nice and honestly represented.The car went past reserve and the auction ended.While making arrangements for transport, the winner, an elderly guy,had a heart attack.I am now thinking scam but turns out legit. The guy survived but no longer well enough to play in the garage. I told him to forget about the "contract"due the unusual circumstances. He was a stand up guy and offered me 1k for the trouble but I refused as I was not going to take advantage of his bad luck.I informed BAT of the situation and they put me in touch with the next highest bidder and we sealed the deal. I do not know what they worked out with the original winning bidder.Despite the glitch my experience with BAT was seamless and I would do it again. Mike

Pepsi10, ShineKen, AandSC and 4 others like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Seriously?

24. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Completely facetious. Trying to bring the thread full circlr

TTR and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69