First impressions and question | FerrariChat

First impressions and question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by climbernyc, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 climbernyc, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    I received my Pozzi 550 Friday evening, drove about 4 hours yesterday (warm temps and windows down), and about 2 hours this am(high30s to low 40s)

-Once I was able to drive the car at speed, amazed at how stable and planted it was.
    -Turn in surprisingly quick.
    -The feel and balance of the car are phenomenal.
    -doesn’t feel as long as it looks.
    -intuitive and comfortable with short radius turns and high speed sweepers
    -engine power is very linear but seems to wake up even more at ~7200 RPM, almost like coming on cam, which wouldn’t make sense this high up the rpm range-wondering if tuning isn’t optimal at present.
    -steering could be heavier at speed.
    -sport setting is very nice but not too firm.

work that was completed prior to delivery: annual service (major was done 16 mos ago), full brake flush with new pads, conti extreme contact all seasons with road force balance, flush fuel tank (new fuel pumps, hoses done with major service- everything in order including rollover valves and mounts).

I’ve only had 2 dates, but I’m in love.

question: today, with windows up, I noticed a gurgling sound from the dash when off idle in the 3k rpm area. Didn’t see any fluid drips under dash but wondering if this is air bubbling by the sender gauges. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso, pkl03, greg246 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    No idea about the gurgling, I am afraid. Looks lovely - glad you are enjoying it. Are the GTC and the 911 yours, too?

3. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No, belong to two friends who wanted to accompany me on the maiden voyage...

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is no fluid going to the gauges, all are electric/electronic. You might check the drain hose for the air conditioning evaporator and make sure it is clear. It is also possible the cooling system needs to be bled if it was not pressure filled.

6. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks. A/C was off and sound was ,most evident and variable around 3-4K rpm. Where do I find drain hose access?

7. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ah just saw your link above. Thank you

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Beauuuutiful car!! Congratulations. I have sometimes heared a gurgling sound from the dash on my 550 and it appears that it comes from the coolant pipe via the electric pump through the heater core. It only appears when the engine is off and the ignition is on.

9. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks. I was running the heat on Sunday-makes sense- no ac running so doubt vent clog, probably needs an air bleed. Coolant system was just drained flushed and bled but maybe there was some air resident in the heater core.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- I do not really remember, except the symptoms were intermittent.

11. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Congratulations! Beautiful car.

Light steering feel at speed could be remedied pretty easily by replacing the stock steering ECU with one programmed by John @Cribbj of MSW.

12. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Would be interested in any of the MSW solutions if still available. Any other good preventative items? I think I read about a metal brace that was installed over the actuators to prevent overstress and also some metal gears to replace the plastic ones? Are these DIY over winter projects? Any other must dos would be appreciated. Car has newer 550 engine mounts with a tiny bit of sag. Will replace with 575 mounts at next major service in a few years. Maybe some Hill rear spacers to bring the wheels out a little bit?

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Beautiful car, Eric. Welcome to the blue Maranello club, and enjoy while the weather allows you to.
    I seem to drive my 575 more in winter than summer, as we rarely get snow, ice, salted roads or freezing temperatures here.
    The right Michelin tyres will make a difference if you are running Pirellis.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  14. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks Darius, I installed Conti Extreme Contact All Seasons for that exact reason. Not planning to drive in snow or with salt on the roads, but these are more compliant in lower temps. No traction issues while driving this past Sunday in the mid 30s (F)