Aston Martin DBX (Aston's New SUV) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin DBX (Aston's New SUV)

Discussion in 'British' started by Astrid.Didier, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting point.

I have not seen a DBX in the flesh, only videos, and thought it more like a Cayenne competitor than a Macan competitor. Top of the line Cayenne Turbo S is ~ $180 K new. Cayenne GTS ~ $120 - $130 K.
    Macan GTS is ~ $110 K with just about every bell & whistle you can think of.

Internet suggests the DBX is ~ $190 K before you add anything. So, definitely, a major plus-up price-wise vs the Macan GTS. The interior on the DBX in the Miller video seemed a lot more bespoke than the couple of Macans I have driven, albeit loaner vehicles are not usually heavily optioned.

T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    ^Thanks for the info. I was going off the proportions and size looking more like Macan than a Cayenne, but appears the length and wheelbase match a Cayenne more even though visually doesn't look like it to me.

4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I was there from the begining and AM didnt listen as they are targeting MILLENIALS for this new truck. You cant get in a decent optioned car for under 220,000 dollars.
    Is the quality better than the car current AM line up YES, But its 80 to 100,000 dollars over LAND ROVER, MERCEDES, PORSCHE , JAGUAR and all the rest.
    How many MILLENIALS have 220,000 dollars for a truck?
    This car/truck/abortion WILL die on the vine and it wont take long either.
    AGAIN from a fortunate LIFE LONG A M lover and owner, go back to building understated luxury grand tourers. PLEASE........
    GTJOEY1314

tomc likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You know...I would have said there's no truth to the statement that they are targeting millennials if I saw this posted a week ago. Apparently there is a "JWW" version as in the YouTuber...no joke. There will be a DBX JWW version and he's a millennial. As you said Millennials have no money unless they come from wealthy families like he did...most are trying to buy their first home which may never happen.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Well, like you, I too, a AM owner and enthusiast, I said same about the Porsche Cayenne back in 2004 - Porsche should only build sport cars. Then I bought one, and used to tow my track car. Don’t see that with the DBX.

I seem to recall last year (seems decade ago) with the DBX, it’s main market was China. And mainly women here in US and overseas.

That said, expect for price, the DBX is a daily driver. For me, that’s a challenge bc of the limited number of AM dealers to service. When my Cayenne (which is like a tank) needs servicing, which is very rare, I have many choices and parts are easy to get. Probably not so, with a new DBX. AML needs a real winner, I hope it’s the DBX, but it’s not a slam dunk. But I was wrong with the Cayenne. Maybe wrong again. Time will tell.

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Just to be perfectly clear
    I have a Jaguar F Pace for my wife loaded sport, I have a Land Rover and a jag sport brake
    I get the whole suv thing being in New York as long as you can get the bullet proof glass version
    BUT , you come out with a NON proven truck and on top of it’s almost good reliability it’s 100 grand more than anything else in its class?
    160 to 180 it would have sold but it’s 225 and doesn’t offer smaller wheels!
    Only one wheel with a half inch side profile a killer to ride and comfort
    Gtjoey1314

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    The author of the article I quoted has driven it, which is how he knows. I am the one who has not.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    A female lead, driving a DBX? That I can't wait to see!:D

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The need volume to sustain.
    Or a buisness model that does not require the volume.
    Using an off the rack motor is a good start towards that.

Kinda like the watch buisness. Most use the same eta movement with the case made by the brand, and each brand still makes one model with their own movement to give it cred.
    Aston still does their bespoke v12 in come models.
    The rest of the lineup, theyre doing the body/chassis/styling and using amg powerplants and infotainment tech.

The problem for the vantage which is their volume car is its fugly and like a tarts handbag inside.

The vantage Gt4 race car though, thats a visualy and functionaly awesome price of Kit.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I saw my first DBX last month. It looked better in person but certainly not $200k. Hell, a 6 years old RR SVR looks way better and is 60% of the price and full size.

Not sure it will sell well. There is definitely a market for $200k SUVs as shown by how successful the Bentayga and RR are, or eve nby how many Cayenne Turbo i see but this one just feels like too little too late.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks so squat in that pick. Could be the pickup truck next to it giving that effect...T

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Looks great, but as others have said, maybe not 200k good, but then they dont have to sell 10k per year.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

How many do you figure they need to sell? It will pretty much cary the brand for the next 3-5 years.

I dont think the Vantage or DBS are hot sellers.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #140 boxerman, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    I dont know their model of whats breakeven on the DBX.
    On one hand using off the rack motors should make for reasonable profit margins.
    On the other hand they built a whole new factory for it, so theres that cost and development cost to amortize.

Yep the cars are not big sellers.
    But Stroll knows marketing and thyere getting more tied in to mercedes, wlthough Im not sure mercdes finds them too interesting as the future at mercedes is apparently subcriptions on hippy dippy yippy autonomous electrics.

As elctrics are the "future" and as all elctrics will be similar in excess power range etc, aston has an opportunity to differentiate with its brand appearance and look of cars. They have great style catalog.
    Electrics are a great oppotunity for boutique brands i think.

16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    They need to sell, 4,000 a year..........
    I think if the SUV was called a LAGONDA! It would have set up a niche section in the Aston line up.
    Create a new DB9 style car, bild a new vantage at 80 grand with a grill, not plastic junk and away you go
    I agree the truck is too late, but Palmer put all his eggs in the basket including BILLIONS for the new faclity. Oh forgot e's gone....
    gtjoey1314

17. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    My dealer tells me that the first DBX’s are just arriving and there is a lot of interest in this Aston model. Most people haven’t even seen one and still sales are quite good. Once they hit the country clubs and luxury area valets the waiting lists will grow from the forty orders my dealer currently has booked. There is a gap in style between the Bentaya and the Urus and the DBX is a good fit for many turning in there luxury leased SUV’s. Aston is an exotic brand and the DBX is a practical vehicle making it a great choice for wealthy buyers who appreciate a beautiful interior and a sporty exterior.
    I think it will be a home run and the beginning of the Aston turn around. My wife’s arrives next week.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I love Aston and I do like the DBX. It has potential BUT it is priced too high. Look at the pricing and failure of the Bentayga. Which market will Aston steal from...Cayenne owners? Few Porsche owners move to Aston.
    If it was priced at $150k they would sell high volume.
    They shoot themselves in the foot with ridiculous original asking prices, then they suffer massive depreciation, then they offer crazy lease deals (look at the new Vantage lease deals).
    I’ll wait for that crazy lease deal on the DBX...it will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have a Virage and a Cayenne GTS. They are both great Cars! I would try the DBX if the price was right.

Joe

tomc likes this.
  20. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    JOE , Your local, what did you pay about for each, or lease with a deposit, Just curious.

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Neil, Im going to be driving one for a bit, report back after a couple of months........With whatever packages you have....

22. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
  23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Like the slit dash and tan interior.

What is the outside color??

SV

24. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The color is Magnetic Silver

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Saw one yesterday on the road for the first time - apart from the rear that tries some original rear lights, it looks very much like a Cayenne. Anyway I really struggle to understand the point with this car (most probably it's Aston thinking, if Porsche has been successful, why not us).

ebobh15 likes this.