456 Shift Gate Gasket Disintegrated | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 Shift Gate Gasket Disintegrated

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perhaps yes, perhaps not. I changed the gasket on mine (I guess I got the last one from Ricambi.) I installed the plate out of alignment and didn't notice at first. Took a drive and everything worked great. Then had an oh s*t moment, and wondered the same thing as you. I aligned the gate properly and shifting was fine. Crisis avoided and gated shifter looked great.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I should add, I think it's the console that needs a tap in the desired direction, then the screws on the plate are tightened. The play is in the console and the spacer, the plate holes are countersunk.

3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Doesn’t the shift plate float independently of the console (unless they collide)?

It seems to me the shift plate bolts to the shift box and is orientated by that connection and not the console or the spacer. Isn’t the spacer just a height adjustment for the shift plate? A pass through so to speak? Or does it have lateral input on the console? I’ve never seen one.

Your comment on adjusting the console makes sense to me. Seems the console and not the shifter should move.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You may be right. It was a year ago when I had mine recovered and replaced the spacer. I do remember that the console on mine had been removed before and reinstalled in different holes in the trans tunnel. There are also two screws behind the radio (that hold down the console) that have some adjustability. I'm sure if I had one in front of me, I would remember, but I sold my 456.

Although there's a lot of talk denigrating Ferrari build quality (the often repeated like it's the first time -insert_Italian_name_here- went to lunch and had drinks,) having worked with a lot of Italians, I know first hand how picky they are about aesthetics. So if it looks wrong (although It may be put together in an arcane or primitive way) it probably is not the way Ferrari originally built it. Sheet metal screws through a transmission tunnel and a bent plate with oversized screw holes may seem ham fisted, but it most likely looked great when it left the factory.

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Yeah my 308 was that way. You could tell it looked great on the showroom floor. Things just didn’t age that well.

6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    1) Go to Home Depot
    2) Buy two packs of chrome spacers (see picture - the spacers have been removed from the enclosure) = 4 spacers

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This will bring the shift plate back up to its original height. If the gaps between plate and console bother you there are many ways you can address it. You sound resourceful enough to figure it out on your own.

7. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Dave rocks likes this.
  8. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I'm cleaningup the shifter box and I want to take it apart a bit to clean but worried that it will be hard to put back together.

Any problem taking #'s 9 & 10 off? How easy is it to put all this back together?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I too am curious about this. I have a random "grindy" noise in my shift from second to third... thinking the shifter needs some maintenance,, but not finding anything in the WSM.....

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    3D printing in TPU/TPE should do it. If you give me detailed size diagram (like sketch above) I can try and CAD and print one.

11. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Mine was made in aluminum by the previous owner. I think 3/8 but I haven’t measured.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Taking those parts off is not partially easy. You can remove the Allen head bolts from the top very easily, but the bushing needs to come out with the ball, and that’s fixed hard to the gearstick with the press fit pin. So, all this to say that you need to take the gearstick out at the same time. Problem is to do that, you need to undo the circlip on the side of the main body, and withdraw the spring and cylinder (this is a bit of a C U next Tuesday to get back in). It gets better, because to get to the circlip, the whole turret needs to be unbolted from the car. When you do this, you should have enough wiggle in the shift linkage to lift the tower up just enough to get to the circlip.

Now, when you remove the gearstick, you’ll find the ball and the bush come with it. To get the ball off, you’ll need to use a drift to hammer out the pin holding it all together. I’ve never actually removed the bushing from the ball as I’ve not needed to, and critically this part is NLA, and it looks like it would be very easy to crack coming off. The good news is that I’ve taken 3D scans of all these parts to reproduce if needed. I also have a complete spare turret assembly dismantled on a shelf in my garage, so can take plenty of photos if any of the above isn’t clear.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Great description. I may need to disassemble the shifter mechanism to determine why I get a "grinding" noise in my 2-3 shift..... great detail! Thank you!

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The two bushes that will wear are the one around the ball, and another one at the base of the gearstick. The former is NLA I believe, whilst the latter is still available.

15. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I wonder if one of those bushings could be worn on mine and causing the "grindy" noise.

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It’s possible, though I think you would notice a fairly extreme amount of play in the gear-lever for that to be the case. Other candidates include the linear bearing in the base of the shift tower, and the two universal joints in the gear linkage (one at either end).

Beyond that you have metal bushings in the control plate, but they’re bathed in gear oil, so I can’t see them wearing any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. FerrariofAlberta

Feb 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott McMonigle
    FYI, I put pn 168955 in my '95 456GT and it worked just fine. Fit perfectly

Scott

Fennicus and scowman like this.
  18. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I think you are saying the 456MGT spacer fit your 456GT car even though they are different pn’s, and the M is a top mount gate where the GT is a flush mount gate?

if yes, that is good news.

19. FerrariofAlberta

Feb 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott McMonigle
    yes. I needed one and 168955 was the only one available. I ordered to see if it would work and it did. I installed last night with no issues

20. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Aerosurfer likes this.
  22. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Even better!

23. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Might want to drop that in the cross reference thread.