Daytona Auto Toronto | FerrariChat

Daytona Auto Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ONSilver, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Never dealt with them before or even visited them. They are advertising a used Maserati 4200 GT I may be interested in, but it seems they are asking a very over market price.

Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I looked at them a few years ago when I was car shopping. They seem to be very good (at least by reputation) at servicing, and sell to an interesting section of the wealthier end of the client spectrum--those clients who want a simple deal with a sorted car at a price commesurate with their lack of interest in the shopping process.

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I've never done business with them. From online price shopping, they seem to be in the high end price wise on their inventory. Don't know if their inventory warrants higher prices.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have both bought a car from Daytona Auto Center and had service work done there. During the process where money was going from myself to them it was conveniently pleasant.

The moment I brought up a problem with the transaction (a freshly rebuilt engine still on the stand and not installed making a 12 inch puddle of oil on the ground in a 24 hour period) I was first ignored for weeks and eventually when I went to their door to talk I was sat down and talked down to like a little child for 20 mins all the while being sworn at and being told that I was lucky that they did the work for me. Mind you I never once raised my voice, cursed, or threatened. I approached them civilly and always remained as such. Needless to say I got nowhere.

Concerned, the engine was completely dis-assembled and the degree of incompetence in assembly was shocking. These included fasteners JB welded in, the clutch in backwards, loose fasteners, and (the cause of the leak) a missing O-ring in the oil system that appears clearly in the parts diagram. Eventually I re-did the whole job myself making my payment to them a total waste. I will add that from my end I paid my bill immediately and never haggled or asked for a special price. They set the price and I paid.

I could go on but in short I was staggered how badly I was treated at Daytona Auto Center in Woodbridge. Fresh Ferrari engine re-builds should not leak oil before they are even put in the car! Lucky for me the engine gave me these warnings because, had I run it in the car, there was a high degree of probability that I would have had a catastrophic failure destroying the original engine on a vintage Ferrari.

This was not my only negative experience with Daytona, and speaking to others, I know that I am far from alone. Caveat Emptor in the EXTREME.

Evan430, GatorFL, Mimmo Blue and 4 others like this.
  5. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Thank you for sharing. Oliver

6. vincent prata

vincent prata Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    Italy
    Full Name:
    cavallino
    i had a bad experience with them especially john duka and Alex the shoe maker not a mechanic a shoe maker they are both hungry for money and they don t know what the f there doing both rep off artist i am supersized there still in business to bad there in Toronto to far for me travel but if they would of been in Montreal it would have been a hole different story please be careful and don t trust them i got taken for $2 500 00 for a tubi exhaust that was broken and welded in the back which was garbage in my mind they are only doing damage to them self another friend of mine was going to purchase a 328 from them lucky i warned him i told him to do this own car fax because the one that was provided by them was photo shopped it was fake he was ready to send 100 hundred thousand dollars for this car and later discovered that the car had been in a big car accident that s Daytona auto in a nut shell so buy be war when ever you here that name run as far as you can.

Nuvolari and Mimmo Blue like this.
  7. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I bought a '06 4200 Gransport from them late 2019. Mine was on commission (possibly the one you're looking at too is as well, with a optimistic seller). That said, so few of these cars seem to change hands its sometimes hard to say what's market. The range seems to be anywhere from 15 to 40k with some, even at the lower end of the range, I've seen sitting on autotrader for 2+ years.

Feel free to PM me for my experience with them...

8. Phantom

Phantom Karting

Nov 11, 2006
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Charn G.
    I put a deposit on a manual '06 430 a few years back with Daytona.
    I was told by John the clutch had been replaced by them.
    I had an independent appraisal done at my cost.
    Turns out the clutch was not replaced.
    I walked away and my deposit was returned no questions.
    No apology though, which would have been the right approach, or offer to replace the clutch at cost as part of the sale.
    Anyhow, I should have went ahead with the deal as manual 430 prices have skyrocketed since.
    Hindsight is 20/20.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My 'refund' experience was as comical as it was pathetic.

A few years back (concurrent with the time my engine was being butchered) the guys at Daytona told me that they could get me an NOS piece of Dino rear glass. I was in the middle of a restoration and agreed paying 4000 Euros plus HST in advance. Despite this big amount of money I never got a receipt despite many requests for one. It took many months for the glass to arrive and when we opened the box the glass was a reproduction and NOT NOS original. Unsurprisingly John Duca told me that the glass is mine and that it is not his problem. After many weeks of getting nowhere I finally got fed up and filed a Small Claims Court motion against them.

Now here is where the story becomes really sad. Small Claims Court requires both a reply and an arbitration before going to trial. I found it strange that Daytona had an almost non-existent reply and declined arbitration. Sure enough trial day comes around and we are standing in front of the judge (mind you close to a year has passed). Before the trial even starts the judge says that he read all of our submissions and questions John as to why this has made it to trial as the facts were pretty straight forward. With a smug grin John says to the judge 'I don't know who these guys are'. Of course the judge asked for clarification and John went on to clumsily explain that we sued Daytona Auto Center whereas we should have sued Daytona Auto Service. Turns out there are 3 different businesses registered to that address and without a receipt we just filed suit against the name listed on their website not knowing that there were all of these companies supposedly operating out of one building.

The judge immediately said 'I know what you're doing here' chewed John Duca out a little and proceeded to tell us that we needed to file again. Truth is we did not get mad or were bothered for a second. It was a total slime-ball move and we should have expected as much. Sure enough we filed again, they delayed here and there and eventually gave us our refund before trial. I don't remember the exact timeline but it was more than a year from when we opened the crate. As for the glass I saw them try to flog it on eBay for years and not sure whatever happened to it.

Evan430, tantumaude and 375+ like this.
  10. vincent prata

vincent prata Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    Italy
    Full Name:
    cavallino
    you if your an honest shop you don t need to have a million companies under the same roof to do business its because you are out there to fool as many people as you could and try to get away with it to bad that the car business has to be like that it really sucks when you encounter people like Daytona auto especially john ducka and his shoe maker (alex) i think one day they will meet there match and it would not go so good for them.