Longer Dino Steering Wheel Hub | FerrariChat

Longer Dino Steering Wheel Hub

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    This one plopped onto my lap from a friend, and instead of the traditional 1 3/4" height, it is 3".
    Source, unknown, ignore if ever offered as an optional. No marks or stamps anywhere.
    It is made on a lathe, lovely job.
    Finish, a la Daytona coarse wrinkle steering housing, but neither Daytona or Dino are wrinkled.
    Underneath, the usual two holes for the turn indicator return, top drilled and threaded for 6 Allen bolts.

Alas, as my wheel time in Dino has been practically nil, I was wondering if the extra inch and a quarter
    might make it a bit more comfortable bringing the arms back, yet raising slightly the steering wheel from its
    original plane. Clearly the stalks would be farther away

This one is steel, and rather heavy at that. Might try duplicating it in ally, as it is a rather simple repop.

Would love to hear opinions, as I am a touch away from driving mine :).

Regards, Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login

View attachment 3041458 View attachment 3041459 View attachment 3041460

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Alberto
    I wouldnt make it in Aluminium if that was me, i doubt the small allen screw threads would withstand the constant load / force in ally material.

My 246 steering wheel hub is 75mm (3") wrinkled black finish! Looks an original part to me?

Tony

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Alberto, Don't know about your part, but I did buy an extension for my wheel hub that made a significant difference in the overall comfort in the cockpit. I have long arms, but it still allowed me to slide the seat back farther and be more comfortable. I suspect the current owner doesn't even know it's installed.

bought it from Superformance I think, not 100% sure. If you're interested, I'll dig through the service records, I kept a digital copy.

Dave

4. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I've seen these steering hubs before on other Ferrari's but never on a Dino. Ferrari used the same Vitaloni steering column switches/levers on many cars and the standard 'MOMO' bolt pattern for the steering wheel means that this piece could be from any one of several other Ferrari's and may not be a Dino part.

Regarding the steering wheel spacers, I have one on my 308 and they are wonderful. You do have to get used to the stalks on the steering column being a little further away requiring an additional reach but this is more than offset by having the steering wheel a little closer. In addition on the 308 the stock steering wheel position is very close to the top of the instrument binnacle making it very easy to nick the vinyl with your fingers. The steering spacer eliminates this. The best part is that it is a super easy modification that damages nothing and is 100% reversible in minutes with no side effects.

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My 246 GTS 07610 has the same hub as that one Alberto. I've checked through old photographs that came with the car and it looks to be the factory original for the car. I've got various other photo's of later E series and they all have this type of hub.

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    The Steering wheel hub was different for French and Swedish market.....
    Attached a picture of a French delivered Dino 246 GT #06776

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    any other late UK E-series around with the longer steering wheel hub?

10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    From photo's I have I can confirm 07112 (246 GTS), 07168 (246 GT) looks to have it but I can't be 100% certain - ditto 07412 (246 GTS) and 07768 (246 GTS). I think TonyL may also have it on his car 06866 but he can possibly check and confirm.

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    interesting as this isn`t Ferrari documented....

I can confirm RHD #07702 and #07360

12. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Looking through photo's I'm pretty sure Bluebottle's car 06934 also has this type of hub. Tony has confirmed that 06866 has it. I wonder if the factory decided to fit these to UK market cars after press complaints of the typical "long arm, short leg" type comments they levelled at the driving position of many Italian cars.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Iain / Mathias

If the longer hub is 75mm face to face, thats the one fitted on my car. - 06866

I have an original spare hub as thats 75mm as well.

Tony

14. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  15. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Yes, you have the longer hub Tony. The earlier, shorter version has a very different shape as you'll see in this pic of the hub in my car 04054.

16. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    I have not yet measured #7472, however from what you describe Ian, it looks like the longer version by shape. Is that correct? Kevin

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It looks like it Kevin.

18. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Thanks Ian. Curiosity prevailed over going out in the cold... just measured it at 74.5mm flange to flange, so yes #7472 has the longer version as described in the thread above. Kevin

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Wow, I am impressed! It has been awhile that we do not see a new topic of interest as this one :)

I know that my L has the short Ferrari type with the ally horn ring, so not that, but could always
    make a taller one for the comfort argument, and as it is through nut & bolted, can be turned in ally.

Then, wonders never cease, went and looked at the 'hub' dept. and found another of the steel version
    3" long exactly as the 1st post, yet better finish, and definitely from the E series 03724.
    (says E on back, my magic marker).

Then, another 3" branded Momo. This, I am definitely going to replicate as although in cast ally,
    through threaded, and no smaller flange visible. This, I think more aesthetic.

Regards, Alberto

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Dave! That would be more info than we don't have, and always great for the 'files'.
    If you have a photo, great!

Regards, Alberto

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Charles! I would go the way of the 'sandwich' with longer bolts, as the longer version will look
    a bit busy with so many fasteners...

By the way, 03724 (USA) kind of an early E, came with the 3" hub.
    Ignore if fitted after or factory.

Regards, Alberto

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Oh puh-leaze. That extra inch and a half actually makes a difference. Plus totally and easily reversible. I have the short screws for original configuration

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

:D

You're still here??? :D :D