F8 or STO? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What exactly is this model in the white above? This model does not look quite like anything I have seen before.

SECRET likes this.
  2. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    Is that what your dealer said? I asked the same question as I ordered the SC pack, mostly for the magnesium wheels, and for $1500 more than the wheels alone, you get the fire extinguisher, telemetry, and rollbar.

Because, when we put in the order there was no option for the harness color.

3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the roof scoop is an air intake. Lambo has a long video that shows how it works. Its not cosmetic.

4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    exhaust is Ti and is made by none other than akrapovic.

Shack and ScrappyB like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The Perf woke the dead....perhaps the STO is louder still?

Shack likes this.
  6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    You mean how Ferrari used the Pista motor in the f8?
    This runs contrary to every track focused model by the other super carmakers,

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Lambo Austin is able to fit the seats so dudes who are tall can easily fit. Most Texas men are 6' something. Point being, it can be done.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    That's fantastic. Where did you read that? The dealer marketing brochure makes no mention of that (or the function of the roof scoop).

re: roof scoop, is its purpose to direct air to the engine bay for cooling? The engine air intakes are in the fenders (new NACA duct). I see a lot of louvres in the side of the rear deck which seem to penetrate into the intake scoop plumbing (?)..

9. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you for the clarification. So it is actually included in the SC package (not installed) or must be ordered separately?

10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have been consuming all things STO since launch. 100s of hours wasted so far. I don't recall which video or articles I pulled that info from. Eddie asked why the front end was a giant clamshell. Weight savings and access to the front suspension. Also, the entire car IS a shared technology with Boeing.

Use of Composites in the Dreamliner Airframe
    The Dreamliner has an airframe comprising nearly 50% carbon fiber reinforced plastic and other composites. This approach offers weight savings on average of 20 per cent compared to more conventional (and outdated) aluminum designs.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/boeings-787-dreamliner-820385

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I agree about the Pista but Ferrari went in reverse on this one. They introduced the track focused model( Pista) which offered a significant HP gain over the outgoing 488. It appears that the 488 series was to end with the Pista but Ferrari then required a stop gap car to fill the sales void while waiting for the hybrids to be introduced. Enter the regular road version ( F8). In order to elevate F8 sales, they could not reduce the power relative to the Pista.The Performante was Lamborghini's track focused car which succeeded the 610-4. The Performante had higher HP, less weight, ALA etc. The EVO series, was to be the last of the Huracan breed of V10 NA power plants.. However, EVO sales ultimately proved insufficient of sustaining requisite sale numbers, so now Lamborghini required another model to bridge the gap until their hybrid models were ready for sale. Enter the STO which does have 30 HP more than the EVO RWD but the same as the Performante.The reality appears to be that the V10 has been maxed out in terms of ultimate power.

12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I believe Porsche has used CFRP on certain RS body panels since 2016. Looks like they've transferred the tech over to the Audi/Lambo side of the business.

Or is this a new kind of CFRP?

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I believe its the same. Lambo has worked with Boeing for ages. Lambo made the FIRST all CF car..believe it was actually made by Pagani when he worked at Ferrari.

14. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'll be surprised if some Canadian dealers e.g. Calgary and even Vancouver fill every single allocation. You're looking at $450k for a decently spec'd STO, that's basically AV S money. For $50k more you can buy a SV.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Lots of interest from people in Edmonton for an STO. Plus, Lamborghini Calgary also sold a SIAN.

15. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Most STOs will end up being $328 + $50k and doo-dads. So, $380k. My Pista STARTED at $379k and most ended up in the mid $400s. Some well over $500k. STO really does appear like a great overall value (if that can be said for something in this price segment)

Thecadster likes this.
  16. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #366 SLDriver, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    I reckon first year production cars will sell at slight premiums so I wouldn't be shocked to see STO's in the mid 450s.

17. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The STO is also filling the huge void left by the the Aventador. The replacement is at least 2 years away which is why STO pricing is in Aventador terrority.

Coincid likes this.
  18. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    This would be very helpful :)

Thecadster likes this.
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    If you "behave" and dont get caught up in too many aesthetic options one can get away with a really nice spec at reasonable $s

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Lambo dealers don't jack up pricing and play BS games..." you have to buy these cars before you get a Pista".
    Trust me, that gets old fast.

21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Biggest exterior cost is carbon and the bronze wheels but the thing is if you don't spec exterior carbon you don't get a carbon wing.

You can spec the wing for $10k but you're left with a mix bag of plastic and carbon pieces which is why I'm adding the full exterior package to my base price.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    how much is carbon outside to make it a homogenous spec, but not outlandish?

23. Actually I think what makes the STO is so compelling to enthusiasts (myself included), is that it is a NA V10 and it is RWD.

No other car on the market fills that niche (aside, of course, from the other Huracan variants like the EVO RWD).

Shack, Gh21631 and Boomhauer like this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The EVO RWD is a pure thrill machine. It is playful, boisterous and infused with excitement. Simply a blast to drive.

Shack likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    When I had the Perf, in track mode it switched to RWD. I found it more challenging to push as hard, of course. So I liked the AWD option to keep me safe on the street.