Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    stand up

buy your toys while u can still play

ShineKen and Texas Forever like this.
  2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Play while you can indeed. I admired the first bidder ,he was 80 and still wanted another fun car. BTW it was 1976 Triumph TR6 that I had done a fair amount of work on. The driver who picked it up said it was one of the nicer cars he had dealt with in a while. Mike

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    YOLO

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Will be likely be less than $5K once out of fashion, no matter how much was spent on it recently.
    You can take that to the bank and I didn’t even look at the listing, just saw the make/model on the link.

merstheman and Texas Forever like this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Shills aside. I’m more annoyed by preferential treatment. How do you get signed up to be at the front of the line on BaT?

I submitted something and it was accepted 3.5 weeks ago. Nothing since.

For fun I help out my buddies BMW race shop and buy cars for him. I was bidding a week ago on a dealer app we use on a car, and ended up losing it to a guy who sells on BaT. It went live today! I’m sitting here thinking DAMN we both paid the $99. Why does he get to skip the line!

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well a shill doesn't need to be the house, it could be the seller or friend of the seller.

And yes you have a card on file to bid and if you win you're immediately charged the commission.

If you're a shill on a 100k car and lose that bet, would suck to lose the 5k with no sale. Would say a lot of auctions are far south of that figure but still, you've multiplied your advertising costs exponentially if you take the commission hit.

Really it would be a better gamble on a million plus car. Who cares about 5k cap if you can bump it up another 100-200k. That being said, it takes two to tango. If a buyer ultimately decides to go up against a shill instead of fold his cards I guess he still got the car he wanted for what it was worth to him that day.

Is it right? Of course not. Only way to avoid such things is to avoid an auction setting in the first place.

My grandmother used to tell me "I won this on ebay".... Never thought it was really winning when you were the person out of everyone in the world willing to pay the most for something. :)

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Simple, just like with any other auction, become a dealer and agree/offer to submit multiple listings from your inventory.
    More you list, more preference you get.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've never brought a car at auction. When I buy a used car, I buy from the seller as much as the car.

That said, BaT seems to be fairest approach so far, particularly compared to the Arizona auctions.

ShineKen likes this.
  9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Maybe try Doug DeMuro's Cars and Bids....

10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I did. With a few cars actually. The item going on BaT isn’t a car, but I digress.

Cars and Bids is good but they need WAY more traction. Their buyer base is small right now. They’ll get there though.

11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I am less concerned about shill bidding and more concerned about the winning bidder paying up. Does BAT have any issues with dead beat winning bidders not paying up?

12. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm sure they do, but....business rules. They get their piece automatically, so frankly, what do they care?

13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I think unique cars/items get pushed up to the head of the line. They do not want to have too many of the same cars up for auction at the same time so perhaps that could be why certain items get pushed down the list. That and the prices they are getting is likely leading to many more cars being offered to them. That is just a guess though.

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

they do. i had a car that sold. The buyer never followed thru. buyer gets a lifetime ban. i've heard several fail to sells and have seen a couple relists as a result.

notably the hienrechy (sp?) callaway vette

did you guys deliver that one?

15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Thanks for the response. Were you able to re-list and do ok after the first buyer fell through?

Can you send me the link to the Callaway Vette you are talking about? I can then see if we sold it when we where a Callaway dealer. Thanks!

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bidder no 2 stepped up

actually works out better for the number 2 buyer as they dont pay 5%

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-chevrolet-corvette-24-2/

last time i was up joe took me out back to look at a white aerobody convert that was in for service

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I commend BaT for one thing (yup, it’ll come off “hate-rish”) but they’ve certainly shown a wide spread on people with more money than brains.

when I see someone pop $20K on a Yugo or a 4-mile Shmedlap Shmiclschmack Mobile I just chuckle.
    Just cuz you can, doesn’t mean you should LOL

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Far from first time auctions being used to influence (read brainwash) market lemmings into believing great investment potentials and values of nothing potatoes.
    Maybe the time of Porsche, Datsun Z and Retro (Icon ?) Broncos/Trucks is finally over ?

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen- BAT is full of people overpaying like fools these days:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagunacc and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    7 days later...no more bid activity and not many comments. That was the quintessential knock out bid. All other potential suitors never had a chance to even have their interest sparked. We’ll see how it ends on Monday.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I used to think quantum physics was the hardest thing for me to understand. Now its been topped...

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So, can we assume you're the "knock out" suitor ?
    Do you think your "knock out" will be enough to take that bride to honeymoon ?
    Just (mildly) curious, if anything.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Well bought and getting in on the ground floor. May have to consider adding another to my collection

TTR likes this.