F8 or STO? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I've scoured the web and re-read the dealer product brochure and I can't find ant mention of a Ti exhaust. You'd think it would be an upgrade worthy of them highlighting given the contribution it would make to both sound and mass. Think you could go back through your info and share the source?

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Performante has tenacious grip. At launch, not a hint of wheel spin and hard cornering was predictable and precise. The EVO RWD was a bit of a squirrelly beast. Push it hard and drifts would come naturally. At launch lots of wheel spin. But so much fun to drive.

3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Spoke with a friend who's a GM at a Lambo dealership in the US. He said he expects around 500-600 STO's for the US market over 2 years with most deliveries happening in 2022 and into 23. He said the demand is insane and most available allocations are for deliveries in late 2022.

According him this will be the last NA V10 model from Lamborghini, there might be a special final edition but it would be more of a paint special and be based on one of the current models.

Shack likes this.
  4. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Lamborghini Sian

5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    chances are I read that in one of the handful of articles posted here....

6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    From what I’ve read, Akrapovic will supply the Ti roll hoop structure, but I don’t think the exhaust is Ti or will it be supplied/developed by Ak. Exhaust system is presumably carry-over from the Evo or Performante.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/huracan-sto-2020/first-drive

“the 5.2-litre V10 remains but is tweaked to deliver even more engine sound at high revs thanks to a reconfigured exhaust.“

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I know, I know. Not that creative.
    file:///Users/timharris/Downloads/Lamborghini_Hurac%C3%A1nSTO_AFUGX2_20.11.23.pdf

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have no problem with people not agreeing or liking my car. It’s the fact you spew the same old crap every time you mention an F8. Just give it a break. And I was one of the first ones to say the STO and F8 are not comparable. One is a hardcore track focused vehicle and the other is a fast, comfortable sports car.

Boomhauer, Coincid and SLDriver like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Different animals.
    A former racer I know drove a F8 on track, said it did everything just right/well from steering to power delivery to brakes, in his words if he won the lottery the F8 is the one.

If you're going to be tracking the car a lot, then the STO seems more focussed more raw and prob more fun. But if track not priority, well its Boy racer(sto) to class and speed(frerrai). Course if you can have both why wouldnt you, they're really that different.

Better question, STO or 765 or LT600.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good times we live in for sure with these options!
    Question - does the Pista become the boy racer though since it is more show than go vs a 720s, 911TT and most certianly the 765LT? I think it may be the most cohesive and sexy looking!

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    One thing with the STO is you don't have to worry about reliability and build quality.

15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That thing is sick!

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    He is quite a tool.

The 1st all CF road car was the McLaren F1 in 1992. Ferrari followed with the F50 in 1995. Lamborghini was 20 years late to the party.

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I will find the info about Pagani working for Lambo in the 80s and making the first CF car...stay tuned. BTW, where did I learn this. Pagani.

And this
    Over the course of its history, Automobili Lamborghini has devoted increasing effort to the research on composite materials. In 2007 it established a corporate research department called the "Advanced Composite Research Center" (ACRC), devoted to the research on innovative materials and the development of new concepts and technologies applied to carbon fiber able to maximize the performance-to-weight ratio of the parts and the vehicle. The deparment comprises two divisions, engineering and manufacturing, which simultaneously follow all the product development steps. A Concurrent Engineering approach allows the multifunctional team to devise a design by integrating the rapidly evolving technological processes to meet even more extreme technical requirements. The group is also responsible for the production of spare components and the repair of the Aventador monocoque. With its dedicated team, Lamborghini is the only automaker in the world to boast an all-encompassing, in-house know-how of the entire cycle of composite materials; from the birth of an idea, to the concept, to the creation of a product, up to the subsequent repairs. With a view to constantly improve the performance of the vehicles and as well as the lighweight design and safety, the engineering department develops and selects innovative materials, technologies, and solutions aimed at using carbon fiber in components that were up to now unimaginable in the world of extreme automotive design.

In addition, 2007 also saw the start of a collaboration between Lamborghini and Boeing that made it possible to transfer the technology from the Aerospace sector to the Automotive, with a special focus on crashworthiness, the BBA (Building Block Approach) modular approach in vehicle engineering and the repair techniques for composite materials.
    Still in Seattle, WA, the ACSL NPO was founded in 2014 and officially inaugurated in June 2016. It is a technological laboratory supervised by Paolo Feraboli, tasked with complementing the work of the ACRC in Sant'Agata. In particular, the ACLS NPO deals with technology scouting and the processes used in the Aeronautic and Aerospace world, and translating the ideas developed in those fields into concept solutions to be subsequently validated on the products in Sant'Agata.
    This is how Lamborghini’s supremacy is carried on in the world of composite m

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Pista as you say is most cohesive looking and ferrari has its game on on many ways they others are not quite up to.
    Pista probably more of a piece on road too.
    But Pista classic and so rare no one is tracking them, If you had to, one to use up and one to keep, pista is the pick.
    STO is a new car to hoon in, and because its not "collectable" in the way a pista is its use able aun use uppable on track.
    STO or 765, to me thats a personal preference thing. Different machines similar purpose.

19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    and this:
    The passionate relationship began many years before Horacio Pagani started working for the company based in Sant’Agata. He was fascinated by Bertone’s style: he admired his work and felt a great harmony of style with the designer, father of the most fascinating Lamborghini of all time, the Miura and Countach. The meeting with Alfieri proved successful. The engineer was impressed by the works shown and ended up offering him to join a project that had just started, the LM. Horacio Pagani was the first to believe in the technology of composite materials; against the will of Lamborghini, he bought an autoclave at his own expense to develop, even for the same Lamborghini, new solutions for the body and the chassis.

The P140 was supposed to be a “small” Lamborghini to be launched together with the emerging Diablo which would replace the Countach, as top-of-production model. The Pagani’s P140 anticipates some of the solutions that will be adopted many years later on the Gallardo. In 1985 Horacio Pagani and his team built the very first car entirely made of composite materials, the Countach Evoluzione, which will lay the basis for all future applications of carbon fiber and composite materials in the automotive industry. Two years later, on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the company, Lamborghini decided to resume the restyling of the Countach and the project was entrusted to Horacio Pagani and this represented a great opportunity for him. He sketched some solutions for the new parts of the car, which were then realized and had an extraordinary commercial success. In the early 90s Horacio tried his hand in the design of a new car, which should have been produced for the 30th anniversary of the company.

and this..
    Horacio Pagani, who formerly managed Lamborghini's composites department, founded Pagani Composite Research in 1988. This new company worked with Lamborghini on numerous projects, including the restyling of the Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary Edition, the Lamborghini LM002, the P140 design concept, and the Diablo. In the late 1980s, Pagani began designing his own car, then referred to as the "C8 Project". Pagani planned to rename the C8 the "Fangio F1" to honour his friend, the Argentinian five-time Formula One champion, Juan Manuel Fangio.

In 1991, Pagani established Modena Design to meet the increasing demand for his design, engineering, and prototyping services. In 1992, he began construction of a Fangio F1 prototype, and by 1993, the car was being tested at the Dallara wind tunnel with positive results. In 1994, Mercedes-Benz agreed to supply Pagani with V12 engines. The cost of these cars are at a total of 2.3 million dollars.

The final car was named the Zonda C12, the first of the Zonda line (the Fangio F1 name was dropped out of respect for Fangio, who died in 1995). It was first presented at the 1999 Geneva Motor Show.

In 2005, Pagani announced that it planned to triple its production output within the next three years, and to enter the US market in 2007.

On 30 June 2010, Pagani claimed a new record for production-based cars using the Pagani Zonda R and completing the Nürburgring in 6:47, beating the Ferrari 599XX.[2]

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    For what reasons?

21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Lambo was in the CF game with cars first. First as in before anyone else.
    Carbon fiber is nearly ubiquitous in supercars. They now all seem to have at least one carbon piece, just in case. Horacio Pagani saw this revolution coming in the 1980s when he worked at Lamborghini. The Lamborghini bosses didn't see the revolution. So Pagani took his destiny into his own hands and ignored everyone at Lambo.
    https://jalopnik.com/pagani-exists-because-lamborghini-didnt-give-a-****-abo-1619981793

22. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    For a car to be rare (aka increase in value or have a shot at doing so) it needs to be less than 1000 units total. Ideally, 600 or so. Pista is a mass produced car. In the world of collectible cars, it's far too common.
    It IS an epic car.

Thecadster likes this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is interesting, the car hasn't been released yet but they already have track times. Do we know the setup of this car? Was this a Lambo test or independent?

Problem is that Lambo may introduce another version of the Huracan - this just seems how Lambo does it. I almost pulled the trigger on an SVJ a when introduced and glad I didnt as they have released several iterations of the SVJ so far. Each one is "special" somehow in its own way.

I like the STO as well as the Perf but for me I would be hard pressed to spend $400K+ on a RWD Perf when the original can be had for a significant discount. I do believe the STO will help hold values for the Perf so this should be a good thing for those who already own one.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Hard to believe a former racer would be happy with an F8 on the track. On the street however it checks a lot of boxes.

25. But the Performante is not RWD.

Boomhauer likes this.