Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ren0312, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    The steering wheel is problematic in that color, but the white seats I've found aren't a problem. Mine had the bespoke interior and I didn't have any issue with keeping them clean.

My local dealer's lot is practically empty of new cars. However, they didn't tack on any premium for the structural blue convertible, I just didn't pull the trigger on it.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors on this car. Its a real beauty.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pearsonhaus and BT like this.
  2. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Very cool spec on yours
    Some of the issue with the white interior is related to it being an open top car and soot in the air
    Other markets get specs we don’t like an orange/black combo
    I do wish they would offer the blue top outside the launch edition

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have had a 2006 Latina Blue S2000 for 9 years. It is an engineering marvel and still feels as tight and new as the day I bought it. I’ve decided to keep it for longer day trips and an occasional road trip.
    The new one is an Apex Blue CR delete. I have been on the hunt for an Alex Blue CR for about 5 years, but didn’t really expect to find one with this low mileage (35k), or in the delete options within my price range. I’m really looking forward to it.

Auraraptor and ShineKen like this.
  4. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    My LC 500 convertible finally got to the dealership today.

PDI and clean up on Monday.

Hopefully the transportation company I hired (Intercity) will have a truck nearby soon after that.

pearsonhaus and tomc like this.
  5. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    The LC 500 was delivered today.

Only drove it a few miles.

Very smooth and the V8 sounds great (never owned a V8 before).

Tomorrow will be in the 60s, so a nice opportunity to try it with the top down.

pearsonhaus and alum04org like this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If you think a V8 sounds good you haven't heard nothing until you try a V12. Whole different experience!

7. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    I work near Lake Forest Sports Cars, plenty of V12 soundtracks embedded in my head, and I agree with you.

I love Ferraris but am so afraid of their quality systems that I can't make myself pull the trigger on one.

The thing I saw recently is that stickers falling off solenoids in the V8s, working their way through the engine, blocking oil flow and leading to blown engines.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well I guess reliability is relative. Ferrari is never going to have the same reliability as Toyota who makes hundreds of thousands of vehicles, maybe a million per year. Ferrari, I believe makes about 15/16k vehicles per year. That said if you read the various threads on this site, Ferrari’s reliability is way better than even a decade ago.

So not really a good comparison. Japanese will always have the edge on reliability but will never have the emotion, panache or performance of a Ferrari. Just depends what you want for that vehicle. I just doubt with large numbers of units produced any manufacturer will ever be able invoke the same aura of the limited production European and even some US cars with limited production. Scarcity tantalizes the desire to own something unique and special every one else doesn’t have. IMO I could be wrong.

9. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    I am with you

I have been a Ferrari junkie since I was a kid riding my bike to Autohaus in Cohasset MA in the 70s, when a little workshop could be an authorized dealership to see the Dinos and 308s in the shop being worked on.

The dad of a kid I grew up with had a blue 308 with suede interior, lovely car

My first house was previously owned by now departed Ferrari dealership owner Gaston Andrey, once in a while they would drive by in a Ferrari

My wife is from Spring Valley NY and every trip to that crap town included a visit to Wide World cars (a big Ferrari dealership) with incredible stuff

A guy at my previous long time employer had a 275 GTB and a 550 Maranello (V12 parties, both)

I totally get that modern Ferraris can run tens of thousands of miles without giving up

I just don't have the time or willingness to put up with the potential reliability issues/down time, my loss here but kind of my reality

10. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Well I certainly hate them (Japanese sports cars) No street cred but put it onto Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course w/an excellent coach (Thanks, Harry!) for TWO days of all-you-want-laps @ 2.258 mile per and we'll do wonders. :D

Blue painter tape = cheap coverage where no PPF

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oct 2007 Mid Ohio SCC

BT and tomc like this.
  11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have an 03 that I bought new and have never regretted the purchase love it!

ShineKen likes this.
  12. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    It's mostly because they are inconsistent. The miata is the only japanese sportscar that has been around long enough. The RX7 was killed but was a hot contender. Everything else seems to be more or less one-offs to show they can do it. And they're great cars. And then after a decade of not producing sportscars, they are mostly forgotten. Has nothing to do with them not being exclusively sportscar brands, if that was the case the Corvette would be similarly overlooked.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think it's four reason Japanese cars don't get their credit due.

1) they are "too perfect".
    2) the styling is always just a little off.
    3) lack of racing pedigree of individual models
    4) most of us have European roots. You don't see people hunting for Japanese red wine either.

Its not just cars. Its the same in art, literature, movies, architecture. What we love is Japanese modern culture, food, and technology.

The line from Dr Strangelove after Peter Sellers explains how he was tortured by the Japanese during the war:

"the strange thing is, they make bloody good cameras". Even just 15 years after the war, we already had an appreciation for Japanese quality and innovation.

14. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Great points Mayor
    The motor sports stuff confounds me
    Honda does a ton of racing
    Their F1 program improved but kind of up against 2 gorillas in MB
    The NSX is competitive in GTD and their DP1 car is solid
    They also hold their own in Indy car
    Toyota is competitive in GTD with their RCF and then in NASCAR
    Nissan had an ok DP1 car and the GT-R is solid in Super GT racing

But then Honda builds 1 real sports car, the NSX and under supports the program (now for the second time). I really enjoy mine but there are very few of us who like them enough to own them.

Nissan is too under resourced to adequately support the GT-R, still pitching a 2009 era product (with many improvements over the years)

At least Mr Toyota loves sports cars. The LFA ate too many resources, The 86 is kind of too low end, the Supra is not really a Toyota and the RCF I’d kind of a parts bin situation. My LC 500 is a happy driving experience but is too heavy to really be a sports car.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Nissan is a French company.

Mr. Toyoda (correct spelling) is dead...years ago.
    The LFA may be an interesting exercise but it looks like nothing...boring... what's with all the 'Home Depot 'Gutter Helmet' body panels?

JCaspar likes this.
  16. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    I got spell corrected there on Mr. Toyoda.

I was referring to the current family member Akio, who loves racing and sports cars.

I am often surprised by how much negativity the LFA gets. It looks like a Japanese GT car. Not an all out beauty but functional and with a bit of flair (the wave intakes).

The key is to see how much thought went into it. It basically is built to never break down. It sucks heat out of itself like no other car I have seen.

When you drive it ,you are like, how could the engine never feel like it had a load on it.

These days you can get into an 812 Superfast for less money than a 9 year old LFA will set you back.

17. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Carlos Ghosn might disagree with your first statement.

Last I heard there is still a Mr. Toyoda alive, too, first name Akio, and who is extremely fond of racing and holds what you could call a very high place in the Toyota corporation. The highest.

Seems very alive to me, anyway. And enthusiastic.

As an aside, can you imagine Louis Camilleri driving in a 24h Endurance race? John Elkann, maybe? Piero Ferrari? Something to think about.

18. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Akio Toyoda is a hardcore racing and sports car fanatic (and accomplished racing driver) who just so happens to be the current President of Toyota and a member of the founding family. He has used his day to job to accomplish a lot in the pursuit of his passions, for instance:

He is the reason Toyota have competed in & won the 24 Hours of Le Mans outright three times in a row ('18 / '19 / '20), won the WRC driver's championship in 2019, and are competing in all other sorts of motorsports right now.

He is also the reason the LFA, 86 / FR-S / BRZ, new Supra, and new GR Yaris homologation rally special have all happened. He was involved in the testing and tuning of all those cars, especially the recent ones.

19. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Wow dat's harsh, man. Like a nasty bong hit. " it looks like nothing...boring... what's with all the 'Home Depot 'Gutter Helmet' body panels? "
    Laughing at your description of 'gutter helmet' panels. :D:D WTF are those actually please? Curious. Not picking a fight here.

LFA *all day* :) :D I would relish owning one.

tomc likes this.
  20. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Oh.... now I see them. The "gutter helmets." Never really viewed (if I did) or think about those waffle-panels that way. 'Prolly lose sight of them rapidly anyway.

tomc likes this.
  21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The reason Toyota won LeMans 3 times is because Porsche left and there are no other manufacturers in LMP1. Has nothing to do with anything else.

22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That is greatly underestimating how hard it is to make a racing car and run a racing team. You could add a few podium finishes onto that list, including the year their car had to retire on the last lap, leading the Porsche, which was incredibly sad. It's a great achievement however you put it.

Not to mention the fact that other manufacturers leaving has nothing to do with them staying. We're talking about the "passion" of Japanese manufacturers here, and for at least 3 years Toyota cared enough to keep running regardless of competition. You can argue it's easy but you certainly can't argue it's cheap, which puts to rest the bean counter argument.

23. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    My LC500 looks every bit as good or better styling wise as my F430. If my F car wasn't Rosso Corsa, the LC would look better in my opinion. The car is superbly crafted and a pleasure to drive. If Lexus could shave about 800lbs off the car, it would be hitting 0-60 in the 3.5 range. I don't buy into the argument that because Ferrari doesn't produce as many cars as Toyota, their quality can't compete. There are just dumb things that Ferrari does, and there are certain suppliers they use that simply aren't up to Japanese standards, full stop.

However, with that said, Ferrari's have a certain rawness and driving experience that can't be duplicated. Its like some weird sorcery they perform. I absolutely love mine, but a real enthusiast will give credit due to any manufacturer that produces a great car and the LC500 is a world class automobile. Its only fault is the infotainment center which is frustrating to use.

24. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Rolling my eyes. Utter nonsense. Do some research on the 2016 race in which Porsche competed and get back to me on how Toyota is not a team capable of winning easily against the best competition.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The 2016 race was won by Porsche and not Toyota. It was the 24 Hours of LeMans, not the 23 Hours and 54 minutes of LeMans. Toyota had the chance to redeem themselves in 2017, but again lost to Porsche in addition to 6 LMP2 cars. They couldn't beat the Germans and only have beaten no-name privateers since Porsche left. If you can't beat them join them, right?! That's exactly what they did by joining BMW so BMW could make the new Supra. Even better. Probably why the new Supra gets little street cred as a "Japanese" sports car.