See America...but in what car? | FerrariChat

See America...but in what car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitterinflation4, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitterinflation4

Nov 24, 2020
    So my dad and I have always talked about wanting to travel the country and see the sights. We finally find ourselves with the time and money to do it in style. So I thought I'd see what the forum's thoughts were on what we should do it in. Some of the ones we'd already considered:

• FF or GTC4Lusso - Seems like the most practical option, but I really just don't love the styling. It'd be our first Ferrari too and I'm a lil gun-shy on reliability on such a long trip.
    • F12/812 - I love the look of these two, but the trunk space seems BARELY adequate.
    • LC500 - I think this thing is drop dead gorgeous but the tiny trunk doesn't seem viable
    • Bentley GTC - I love the interior on the new one, the trunk is pretty large, and apparently the current warranty covers unlimited miles which is enticing
    • 8-series - Haven't checked one of these out yet, but reviews seem kind of lukewarm.
    • Dad's on the kick of some kind of old muscle car or a classic Caddy which is also kind of appealing haha.
    • Aston something because who doesn't want to pretend to be Bond. Only known one friend with one though and the reliability was atrocious, always had something wrong with it.
    What do you guys think?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not the sexiest option, but if it were me, I'd get an SUV or pickup truck so you have enough room to hold luggage and such for a very long distance trip. And, for long distances, the lie more upright seating is more comfy IMO than sports car seating. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like a blast...T

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Two of my younger brothers did a similar trip back in the early 2000’s.

believe it or not, they took a Ford windstar minivan, took out the middle and back row of seats, and loaded it up. Even took sleeping bags and pillows and spent a few nights sleeping in the van.

for the entire 6000 mile trip, they had one flat tire, one burnt out headlight bulb, hit one bird, and did two oil changes, all in the matter of 8 weeks. And got 24mpg

I would look for something more practical than fun. You mentioned Bentley, how about a Bentayga ?

tomc likes this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  5. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Sounds like a great adventure

Are you traveling In winter?

If so the AWD Bentley looks like the winner

Matt Farrah just did a review and it goes like stink and has amazing luxury

I just got an LC convertible and it is beyond comfy for road trips

You would likely have to use the back seats for some of your luggage

It’s RWD so not the best choice for a Winter trip

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife and I are doing a long road trip in the Panamera. It seems like the perfect car to use for this, but my one concern is that it doesn’t have any kind of spare tire.

Texas Forever, LI2782 and Boomhauer like this.
  7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You have to do Route 66 in the process.... Tod and Buz. Pick a Nom du Guerre.

They did not stick to 66 during the series.

Smiles likes this.
  8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001

energy88 likes this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    812 would be awesome and just pack light!

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Doris Day

11. bitterinflation4

Nov 24, 2020
    Yea, we talked about that too, I think if we decide to do more National parks and stuff we might go that route. I grew up doing long drives in a Wrangler during high school and college so pretty much anything seems comfortable after that haha.

I think that's probably going to be how it ends up haha. I know we're probably not going to do much if any camping, Dad's opinion on non-RV camping is firmly set to "too old for that ****" haha. I think if we went the SUV route, I'd go for an Urus, though admittedly haven't looked into reliability or anything else about them. Just love the look and the absolute ridiculousness. Not a huge fan of the Bentayga's look. Maybe a bit more pedestrian and go with a Navigator, the interiors on those are fantastic, nice place to spend a long drive.

Man, with the whitewalls that looks super sharp.

I just watched that video before I posted haha. Kinda sold me on it along with the one Harry Metcalfe did. I think we're probably gonna aim for a early spring trip at earliest and start by heading south so hopefully we miss most of the weather by the time we make it to snow-filled areas. I'm one of those trip planners who has everything planned out by the minute haha so gonna spend some time researching routes and putting together the itinerary.

Even if we don't end up going with it on this trip, I want to get one of those LC's in the stable someday. Absolutely in love with the way they look and everyone I've talked to who owns one has nothing but praise for it.

Yea I think that's my biggest worry if we end up going with something really high-end, get a flat and it could be a bit of a nightmare depending on where we are.

The Panamera probably is the perfect car for this, good looking, eats up the miles, and super comfortable. But my dad hates them so he tossed it out before we even got started. It was one of my first suggestions haha. An Rs6 or 7 could be viable too maybe but they don't really grab my attention.

This morning he sent me a Bel-Air with that song as the email title haha.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another semi-random thought, if you do not have top of the line AAA membership get it.
    Saved the wife and I a lot of grief when her Benz had to be towed from Clayton, NM to Lubbock, TX (check that out on the map!).

Porsche has decent coverage of dealers across the US, but if you want a higher-end brand, I would opt for MB. Those are pretty common if you run into issues on the road. Of course, I don't think you can beat a Ford pick-up truck. Dealers everywhere and some of the high end pick ups (Platinum & King Ranch) have a ton of lux features like cooled seats, heated seats, massage, etc. And, lots of after market options to pimp them out even further.

T

13. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Lubbock Tx, that must mean you got to spend some time with the folks at Alderson.

Hopefully they got you on your way in short order.

My LC came from them.

Really great folks to work with.

14. bitterinflation4

Nov 24, 2020
    OOF now that's a tow.

Don't think I've been without AAA since college when my Wrangler died in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania on I-80. Was sure I was going to be murdered haha, all that was off the exit was an empty gas station with one flickering lightbulb and a huge dark quarry behind it. Worth every penny the membership cost that day.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. I've seen that movie! :D
    Whatever you pick, keep this thread informed. Sounds like a great adventure with your dad...T

16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have to give props to the 8 series. I have an M850 and have loved it. Big power. All wheel drive. Handles quite well. Very comfortable for trips. It is a very similar car to the FF/Luso for half the price or less.

17. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    The nice thing about having a Lexus is you can go to any Toyota dealership to get it worked on, had this issue on my IS-F when a bunch of under panels came off because of some road debris

Another note, I would looooove to put more miles on my FF, but I'm not sure if I trust it for a cross-country trip. I'd rather do it in a vehicle with a proper spare tire

I'm a big fan of the Lexus SUV's, driven them all around Texas for 6+ hours straight without even thinking about the vehicle

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is a brilliant idea!
    T

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep! Alderson. Great guys to work with. We enjoyed a nice weekend @ the Marriott (I think)
    downtown, hit a few nearby BBQ joints & wineries in a rental car. Alderson's even shipped the
    wife's car to us in DFW (one of their drivers was in town to pick up a car @ a local dealership)
    when they were done fixing it. Dropped it off right in our driveway! Class operation...T

20. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Glad to hear it
    I found them pretty randomly
    They had an incoming LC convertible with the spec I wanted and they were willing to deal a little
    Nicely family run outfit
    They only do luxury cars and clearly have the right customer service mindset
    Too bad I had my car shipped and missed the local hospitality

21. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Toyota Land Cruiser / LX 570

tomc likes this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dinah Shore.

23. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I did it in the early 2000's in a Ford Focus. A friend of mine from Estonia and I did close to 9,000 miles in a bit less than two weeks, it was a rental turned out to be quite comfortable. Whatever you choose my advice would be to spend some time test driving before you make a decision and have fun it's a great thing to do there is a lot to see out there.

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #25 amenasce, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    If it's you and your dad, then a Lusso will be fine. I assume you wont need to pack any fancy clothes. And for the regular clothes, you just need to find a Target to get a decent tee shirt and shorts/jeans for the day if the hotel you stay at does not offer over night laundry services.

All you need to pack really are essentials and any clothes you might need can be bought anywhere in the US and they are so cheap that you can just toss them if you really dont have the space.

The most important part would be to have phone chargers and batteries and water bottle and snacks in the car in case you break down and need to wait for a tow truck for a few hours and it's cold/super hot.