Thoughts on color combo for appreciation / resale? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on color combo for appreciation / resale?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ChrisKob, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisKob

ChrisKob Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Northbrook IL
    Hello,
    Not a current owner yet but have been seriously looking at 360's and 430's.

What are some of the more experienced owners thoughts on the color combos in relation to resale and appreciation of the car?

I see red everywhere. Is this a good thing?

Thanks for any info.

2. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Skidkid, DiabloTerr and ChrisKob like this.
  3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    black on black baby....

4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    tomc likes this.
  5. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Im seriously biased but in my search for a blue car it seemed they were harder to find (rarer?) and good examples sold quickly and close to asking price.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

#6 VAF84, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Started my search looking for red, ended my search with Argento Nurburgring/Boardeaux which I fell in love with and have not regretted. It will take longer to sell, but it also cost less than buying a red, which means I can offer a more competitive price when it’s time to sell thus appealing to someone seeking value.

Rosso maintains its value better, and easier to resell. Seems to command a $5-10k premium over other colors. I like yellow, but to me they appear to sit the longest on classified ads when compared to other colors. Black seems to do well. Everything else falls somewhere in between.

Red never fails if you're worried about being able to move the car quickly at some point, because most first time buyers are predisposed to buy red (classic Ferrari); and because even someone who wants a color other than red could settle for red, whereas someone who wants red is less likely to settle for another color.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7, Jda550911, Robb and 3 others like this.
  7. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Of course, when I was shopping for my first Ferrari I was looking for the classic red/tan combo and then I happened to see this spider on eBay and found the combo striking. I personally like the fact that there's little chance I'll be parked next to another Fcar with the same color combo and frankly, the 360/430 body style generates more than enough attention without bright red adding to the equation. No question red Ferrari's are easier to sell, but I personally don't see any data to suggest red has higher resale value.
    BTW, no active listings at the moment, but this car is for sale.

....and here was the Fcar line-up at the last C&C in Tucson (I didn't go)

VAF84 likes this.
  8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I don’t believe any 360’s or 430’s will appreciate except for special offerings perhaps CS,scud, MT430 (maybe MT 360). Prob will be market fluctuations and ultimately all will succumb to the fall of ICE. Funny I’m sitting right now in a dealer signing for my 4th EV since 2014.

Just to many 360&430 produced. If they do appreciate we’re all golden, but don’t expect it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

brookliner7 and Shark01 like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1000.....except for the commentary about driving vacuum cleaners.

van22 and SpencerMarks like this.
  10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    That’s what they said about my 308 that I bought for $21K, sold for $27K, and is now worth $50-60K. After 20 years, prices start rising, as you are currently seeing with the 360. As time goes on, fewer nice examples remain.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The "red Ferrari" is what it is. And there are a ton for sale.
    I had no interest in the cliche:

The rarer colors may indeed be a good investment.
    But truthfully for me I don't care about investment and resale. I bought the car I wanted and I'm not keeping it in the garage for the next guy...

Al Casteen, tomc, Stev-o and 7 others like this.
  12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Hope you are right. I’ve got a few cars I’m hoping rise. This is a different time very different than 20 years ago, it may be “car-nage” for us ICE enthusiasts. I’m not trying to be negative, Just buy it for the love of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

EastMemphis and KC360 FL like this.
  13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The lowly 308s started rising in earnest about a decade ago. A nice one will cost you substantially more than original MSRP within a few years, as supply is dwindling. The 20-year phenomenon isn’t limited to Ferrari - if you’ve got a nice 2000 Lotus, Porsche, Acura NSX, or even Corvette, it’s going up from here, too.

A 20 year old Ferrari might be the cheapest car you ever drive.

Maine57S1 likes this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    With the 360s and 430s, approximately 50% of the units manufactured were red, yet when you look at Cargurus.com for all available 360s and 430s nationwide, red only represents 28% of the available cars. I noted this phenomenon a few months ago and it seems to stay fairly consistent.

Drawing from that data point:

1. Either there are fewer owners parting with their red 360s/430s,

or

2. Buyers are buying the red ones faster.

My guess is that owners of red Ferraris tire of their red cars just as fast as the owners of non-red Ferraris, but the red Ferrari tends to move a lot faster.

Jda550911 and VAF84 like this.
  15. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Al Casteen, kes7u, Red 27 and 3 others like this.
  16. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I am a fan of any color other than Red or Yellow. ReSale red is just that. Buy what you love and drive it, life is short. Mine is Nero Daytona and I love the color almost Charcoal Gray in the sun, Black at night.

Husker likes this.
  17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    You only live once, buy the color you want and buy the car to drive it and enjoy every minute with it..don't worry about resale..

Al Casteen, tomc, NMNMNMN and 5 others like this.
  18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    + 1 : To go into this expecting anything else probably means you cannot afford to buy and/or maintain the car properly

VAF84, KC360 FL and 9650max like this.
  19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    A little life lesson:
    Throughout my life I have restored/modified (myself) 2 of the 911s I owned. One I had just finished and it was struck by a driver running a red light. The result was a totaled 911.
    The second was a Carrera 3.0 with less than 1K miles on the restoration-- ironically it was purchased as a replacement to the previous car that was totaled-- and unbelievably, it too was struck and totaled in the same fashion as my previous 911 as a teenager ran a red light.

This is one of the reasons I don't fret about resale. Life has a way of throwing curve balls at you that you never saw coming-- and is why I have said, buy the car you want and enjoy it each and every time you take it for a drive. You just never know.

NMNMNMN, Red 27, The4DA and 3 others like this.
  20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Wow, Florida drivers... and I thought NJ was bad where we don't even know how to make a left turn...

tomc likes this.
  21. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    well said.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Good stuff! I’m glad you weren’t totaled!

KC360 FL likes this.
  23. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm a novice here and I don't just mean because my Fchat bio says so, but + 1 to all the "resale red" comments.

Over the last year of shopping, buying, selling a couple different Ferraris, I think something to take away is that red may be more easy to sell in general. This might lead to a higher price you end up selling the car for, just because you have more options/interested parties.

I've run into some dealers/re-sellers that are only interested in rosso/tan on certain cars, so if down the road you need to sell the car quickly for whatever reason, ignoring a thousand other factors, it maybe easier with the classic combo.

All in all though, anything maintained properly with service records and clean carfax shouldn't be a hassle to sell.

+11111111! for all the "get what you like and drive the sh*t out of it" comments. This has been much more important to me because, like some other posters have mentioned, **** happens. I also probably drive mine too much to worry about resale :p

Grigio is my 2nd fave Ferrari color and a classic in these models too!

VAF84 and armedferret like this.
  24. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Nice E39 M5.. I have one as well to pair with the 430.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

25. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

This I have had 2 very special long term hold for me cars seriously damaged by no fault of my own. Really disappointing. One of them was worth twice what I paid for it at one time. And the repaint turned out inferior to how it was. Live and learn.