Seat belt assist Arms problem | FerrariChat

Seat belt assist Arms problem

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by chris5150, Mar 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Well the end of another very enjoyable weekend of driving the FF, very much loving driving it

Got the seatbelt handover arm problem now though, arms came forward on both sides of the car & indeed have stayed that way. Get the message 'seatbelt handover not available'
    Have stopped & started the car several times but nothing changing. Actually its not that bad as the assist arms are quite good hangars for the seatbelts in the forward position, and to be honest the drivers one only managed to grab the seatbelt maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10 anyway...most odd erratic technology , seems a lot of effort to go to for such a small thing, but heyho.
    Anyway have searched the forums and seen its happened to a few owners, I shall try the reset thing mentioned in one thread whereby switching ignition to position one & toggling it between that & pos 2 to see if that resets it., as below..originally posted by travellingbearsva:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recalling the circumstances under which the hand-over system 'auto-reset' when I had it picked up for service. We had turned engine off for a few minutes and left key in position 1 (electrical power on) for a minute or so. Then we ended up oscillating between position 1 and 2 (probably 2x) and it worked.

I just went out to my FF and did the key to position 1 power on (15 seconds) and then oscillated key between positions 1 and 2 a few times (5 seconds in each position). I then opened and shut drivers door (seatbelt assist on drivers side is triggered by door open/close) and the arm moved to normal extension. I went thru start/stop of engine and checked repeated performance. It worked!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems some bits have been replaced on cars, mine was built December 13, so I find it odd that it wouldn't have the revised arms/bits from the factory

Anyway has anyone else come up with how you can fix this without a dealer visit?
    To be honest, I would be more tempted to just disconnect the things & leave them permantly retracted as don't need them anyway, due to my size my seat is pretty much all the way back, meaning I can easily reach the belt, should imagine they are quite useful for shorter people whose seat is a long way forward though.Really cannot be bothered with dealer visits for such small things. I think I read mr travellingbearsva had been in & out several times to get it fixed.

Any further info on any home fixes or indeed have dealer visits & change of parts resovled this issue, or does it still continue on as an intermittent issue?

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Thanks for the info. This has gone into my small file of tips.

My FF is also a December 13 build and so far the arms are working fine. I actually like them but could get along without them. I do need them to retract however because we frequently have people accessing the rear seats.

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You might want to disconnect the battery, wait 15 seconds, then connect it again. It will hurt nothing! You will only have to reset your date/time in the clock. I think mine stuck out once and I pressed on it a bit and it finally retracted. No other issues with them though.

Rick

4. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Speaking of resetting date/time I found that I could not reset the clock for daylight time with the car in motion. OK at a standing stop tho. The only operating function when the car was underway was the speedometer squawk setting (155 mph or less).

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, the government not letting you be distracted while you drive ... same reason you can't change a nav address while you are moving. But you CAN eat a pile of French fries while you drive, dropping a wad of ketchup in your lap that you jump from, looking for the napkins to wipe it up ... Government making up stupid rules to protect the stupid.

Rick

6. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Ah... I should've figured as much. This must be a recent govt affection since my '11 BMW did not restrict it. As for the federales protecting us, we need protection against them.

7. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    #7 chris5150, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    The toggling of the ignition key didn't work, that makes the assist arms wiggle a bit, but nothing else.
    Cannot be bothered with dealer visit yet, so just forcibly pushed them both back into the retracted postion, and they have stayed that way since. Just got to put up with the slightly annoying ' seatbelt assist not available' message on start up , but that's liveable with!

Had another 80 mile spirited blast last night, got to say the FF is really a stunning car to drive, feels just about as fast as my 458's but roomier & nicer to drive at steady speeds, but when pressing on it puts just the same smile on my face as the 458 did. Still preferring the V12 soundtrack to the V8, just needs to be a bit more vocal so going to go with the Novitec, have made contact on that one.
    Not quite sure why people tend to think of the FF as being a very big car. In actual fact on the 458 I had to fold the mirrors to get the car in my garage, on the FF I don't have too, so in actual fact the 458 is wider. Yes I know the FF is longer etc, but in reality on our UK A/B roads its the width that makes a car feel big, the FF hustles along on these roads just about as well as the 458 to me.
    Slightly annoying driving at night that when you switch the screen off, its one of those that doesn't actually switch off but has the horrible greyish hue with a horrible digital clock in the middle, its actually better to leave the screen on!..( or turn the music off and then you can have the whole thing off )
    But small niggle, loving the car more & more

8. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You may want to try Rick's trick of battery disconnect to see if it wakes up the arms.

On the size matter, at 193.2" the FF is almost exactly as long as the 612 that it replaced. It is 1" longer than my BMW X5M, which is considered a mid-sized SUV. It is 2 1/2 " SHORTER than the Porsche Panamera which might be considered an alternative. It is interesting to me that it is only 11" longer than the other Ferrari V12, the F12. So for less than an additional foot you get the rear seat capability, which would seem to be a triumph in packaging.

BTW on the rear seat, everyone who has traveled in them in my FF has raved about the comfort and visibility back there. Somehow the designers got that right.

9. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Not really that bothered about the seatbelt assist, in fact quite happy to have them retracted & staying that way, they only caught the seatbealt 3 or 4 times out of 10 anyway. Might actually just get F to disconnect them along the way

Ordered up my Novitec with x pipe & capristo remote valve control...so hopefully 5 or so weeks away from a nice sonic improvement!

10. Setch

Setch Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    I've had this problem occur with my 2-month old FF a few times. The workaround is quite simple (but a little brutal and scary). Turn the engine off and push the arm all the way back in. It requires a reasonable amount of pressure to get it moving but once in motion it is pretty easy. Make sure the arm goes all the way back into the housing. If it is not 100% fully retracted then it will not function.

I hate to apply brute force to a piece of machinery that costs this much but it is a lot simpler than a trip back to the dealer.

BTW - although this works fine for me, please don't blame me if something goes wrong when you try it!

11. bldscud

bldscud Karting

Aug 19, 2011
    Washington DC Area
    I have had the same problem, and solved it in the same way. Although I was hesitant to use brute force, it worked, and no subsequent problems.

12. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    By chance Setch I did that, forced them back in, and hey presto next day they started working again, so yep that's the fix it seems..thanks

13. travellingbearsva

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FYI - I had the seatbelt assist hardware changed on both sides and rarely got more than a few days without malfunction (even after hardware changes). Generally once faulted, it was 'broken' until reset at next service visit. Car has been thru Ferrari of Washington for all routine services, summer/winter tire swaps and whenever those engine control system failures popped-up. So seatbelt glitch was reviewed at least five times in past 18 months. At my last visit to FoW they reset again and it's worked without further issues for past 30+ days. Don't have a clue what was done differently. Perhaps different tech looked at system and corrected a programming or software revision issue. I will keep fingers crossed.

Dave

14. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    My drivers side one works everytime, well that is to say the arm pops out & back in again as it should, but it probably only grabs the belt one out of 5 times I would of thought.
    Passenger side one has totally given up & just remains retracted permanently.
    I think I will just get both of them switched off when the car goes in, not needed at all anyway, even my wife who has the pass seat quite forward has no problem grabbing the belt

15. Munich

Munich Rookie

Jun 1, 2013
    I had the seatbelt assist hardware changed on both sides twice plus the new software package and rarely got more than a few days without some kind of malfunction on the arms or the electric seats.
    In total the car was 8 times in the shop for repair. Once they had engineers from Maranello come in to fix.
    They are unable to get this issue under control but not all cars are effected.

16. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I found it easy to confuse the system by having the key in the switch position, then having a passenger subsequently get into the car. Sometimes it would detect them in the seat and put the arm forward. I've also had the mechanism work correctly then show up the 'handover not available' message.

17. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    What model year is your car. I have an impression that this problem is rampant in the 12s, less so in the 13s, less so in the 14s.

18. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    its just utter rubbish in mine...I find it quite humourous, currently it is in working on the passenger side but not at all on the drivers side. Few weeks back it was the drivers side worked & the passengers didn't. Previous to that both stopped working....its quite good fun really, the lucky dip aspect as you get in the car. Even when the drivers side one works it misses grabbing the belt half the time at lease anyway
    wonderous devices they are
    but as I say I think I prefer them when they are not working anyway, might just get them disabled next service and leave them retracted. Glad Ferrari is better at designing engines ....

19. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I’ve got the seat belt arm extender stuck on the drivers side. It keeps wanting to retract and then quits after a few attempts. For those that tried the brute force method - did the arm try to go back in on its own but got stuck? Or did the arm just stay stuck without the car trying to bring the car back in? I don’t like the thought of brute force but seems like it was the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Regarding the "belt missing" my driver side seat belt arm was also missing the belt quite often, at least 5 times on 10.
    But my passenger side was ok.
    I noticed my driver seat belt was kind of "soften" because more often used than the other which was more "rigid", driver's was slightly "rounded" around the... driver body.
    So I folded it in the opposite way and hold it one night like that with a clothspin (in the area where the arm should grab the belt of course).
    I did this months ago and the arm NEVER missed the belt since!
    I guess I will need to reiterate the process sometimes but for me it's ok.
    I have to say I don't drive the car daily, week end car.