BMC Air Filters | FerrariChat

BMC Air Filters

Discussion in '612/599' started by George Vosburgh, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Anyone have any experience with these??

2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi George. I put a set in when I installed the cat delete pipes. Simple swap.No way in my opinion you will get a seat of the pants difference just from the filters. Mike

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's just where I am at with this. Just ordered the delete pipes and was looking at the filters. They are kind of pricey compared to OEM.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Pros: They let in more air and make marginally more power

Cons: They let in more debris creating marginally more engine wear

You are likely to never feel the difference in power or ever have to deal with the accelerated engine wear. All this for the privilege of spending more. You decide :)

George Vosburgh likes this.
  5. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    "BMC: The panel / cylindrical air filter is commonly referred to as "replacement air filter". It is installed in the vehicle's original airbox to replace the OEM air filter. It is made of highly performing materials that allow an increased air flow combined with a more efficient filtration, guaranteeing containment of all impurities from as small as 7 microns (compared to OEM's 10 microns). "

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This is a very careful selection of words in BMC's advertising that does not tell the entire truth. The oil on the BMC filters will 'occasionally' trap impurities as small as 7 microns but the filter openings are larger allowing larger particles to pass through more regularly. OEM filters rely on their media (and not oil) to trap impurities meaning that they consistently (rather than occasionally) trap particles that are 10 microns and larger.

I designed performance intake systems for over a decade and was deep into these filtration numbers day in and day out.

KB599GTB, Makuono and George Vosburgh like this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I still do not like oil in front of my MAF sensor. OEM filters work fine.

*599GTB*, Mor, Rex71 and 1 other person like this.
  8. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    I installed them when I did cat delete and the big difference comes at deceleration. The car produces more 'pop corn' which is very nice to the ears. I guess this is due to a little excess of air at deceleration.

Makuono likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Air filters do not increase the popping sound on deceleration. That is caused by cold air rushing into the exhaust system through the tailpipes and igniting the temporarily rich mixture caused by lifting the throttle.

Makuono likes this.