cam tensioner bolt | FerrariChat

cam tensioner bolt

Discussion in '308/328' started by conan, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi, just wondering about the 111458 bolt. How many of those have sheared off over the years? Threads stripped?

I am just thinking about my seat bolt that snapped right off one day ...

I plan to use some crack detecting fluid next cam belt change, but thought someone may have some insight into this?

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I think, you cannot compare that bolt with a seat bolt. Look at the thread diameters. I think, before this bolts snaps, you will crush or crack the light alloy tensioner bracket.

Best from Germany
    Martin

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Unless you have reason to believe that the bolt has been over-tightened, I believe the potential for cracks is extremely unlikely.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I've just had my timing belt tensioner assemblies out to replace the belts and pulleys, and was impressed again at the bolt that holds the pulley. No way would the threads get stripped on the bolt, that will strip the hole in the head long before it's own threads let go! (which bears reminding, use a torque wrench always! ;) ) The bolt won't ever get stretched, stripped, or otherwise damaged at the recommended torque value.

Cheers,
    Gordon

waymar likes this.
  5. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks for all comments. I guess risks are low with this bolt, but for curiosity reasons I will probably do a check for cracks and compare the two bolts.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "The bolt won't ever get stretched, stripped, or otherwise damaged at the recommended torque value."

As is true with all fasteners! :)