Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 72 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    MERCEDES-BENZ C36 AMG DTM
    Chassis: WDB2020282F134200
    Registration plate: BP 21

Photo courtesy of Instagram user: @brunei_car_collection

Judging by the floor tiles on the outside, I can tell this photo has been taken from the Garage Number 5 aka "House 5" or "Glass House".

Enjoy! ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

marcospace and mercedes-c140-fan like this.
  2. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
  3. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
  4. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Let's try to make it clear despite the fact I am not a Bentley or Rolls-Royce expert...

Some pages describe the first car as a BENTLEY RAPIER, the second car as a BENTLEY JAVA COUPE and the third car as a BENTLEY HIGHLANDER.

BUT some other sources describe the first and second cars as BENTLEY JAVA COUPE, while the third car as a BENTLEY RAPIER.

It's interesting to see that the first two cars are very similar. One would say almost identical... but I think there are some differences in the back. Notice the form of the tail lights and the angle the whole rear trunk is tilted? Also see the part above the registration plate, it's completely different in its form and position. The first one has double exhausts (one on each side) while the second one has one exhaust pipe on the left side. I cannot see any major differences in the front, while the rear end are completely different, despite you have to look closely for subtle changes. I'm sure that in real life, you'd immediately spot the differences. The interiors/dashes are also different.

The dashes and steering wheels of the first and third car are almost identical... but the central tunnels and armrests are different. Notice the absence of the hand-brake in the third car.

Instead of making things clearer, I got even more confused! :confused: Are there a Bentley expert in here? :p HELP! :D

NewYorkLego, marcospace and Ames like this.
  5. marcospace

marcospace Rookie

May 10, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco Spaziani
  6. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Im not an expert either but it looks like the Rapier is a sportier version of the Java Coupé... And to me the 4 door is the Highlander.
    Another thing I was wondering about: what is the Bentley Camelot ? :D

marko.urbac likes this.
  7. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    #1784 marko.urbac, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    This should be the Bentley Camelot: https://www.rrsilverspirit.com/models/1994Camelot.htm

Quote from the article: "The Camelot is the same model as the Continental R Supershort: it is a 4 inch shorter Bentley Continental R Sufacon. Total production of the Supershort and Camelot is three examples."

I have just found this very interesting book on Google Books (click on the title to open link):

Inside the Rolls-Royce & Bentley Styling Department 1971 to 2001
    By Graham Hull

This book will finally shed some light on all the one-off's built for the Brunei Royal Family.

Indeed the book describes the Bentley Camelot only as project code P115. In the book you can also find that the project code P155 was referred to the Bentley Continental R Camelot with folding hardtop, but unfortunately no photos.

Ames likes this.
  8. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Strange that they would give the same car different names! Thanks for the info.

9. MisterX91

MisterX91 Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivie
  10. Lm_spot

Lm_spot Rookie

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Loris
  11. alexabsolute

alexabsolute Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    GT1Forever and marko.urbac like this.
  12. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Do they still commission one-offs at all? It seems like the one-off cars are all from the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    No. But that doesn't mean they are not buying new cars. Recent cars that have been spotted:

- Pagani: Huayra coupe
    - Ferrari: LaFerrari coupe (three of them: red, black, white), Enzo (at least one: black), F12 TDF (at least one: black), 599 GTO (at least one: black), FF, F12 Berlinetta, 458 Italia, 458 Speciale Aperta...
    - Lamborghini: Aventador, Huracan, Urus...
    - Mercedes-Benz: SLS Coupe, SLS Black Series, SL65 AMG Black Series, SLR, G500 4x4 squared, G wagon Brabus 800, G63 AMG...

As you see, the Brunei Royals are still... "livin' la vida loca"! :D

Boomhauer and marcospace like this.
  14. MisterX91

MisterX91 Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivie
  15. Wi11am

Wi11am Karting

Oct 6, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    William Morton
  16. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Wow! Great job! :)

Wi11am likes this.
  17. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Victor33, marcospace and Boomhauer like this.
  18. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Sadly all that instagram account does is repost already seen photos :( but I am not complaining about this pic :D

These I have never seen, WOW!

marko.urbac and Wi11am like this.
  19. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    I used to see lots of these cars when I worked in Brunei during the mid to late 90s. I worked next to RBPC 5 multi story car park and could see the cars passing the gate as I worked.
    I remember seeing a Bentley Java over taking me on the coastal road at around 160 mph once, I was going 80 mph, I was blown away.

Happy memories.

Ames, Wi11am and marko.urbac like this.
  20. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Do you have any photos from that period? It would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wi11am likes this.
  21. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    It was difficult to take photos as I only saw them briefly on the roads. The Royal cars normally had mirror windows and police outriders front and back.

marcospace and marko.urbac like this.
  22. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    I saw the first Aston Martin Vanquish in 1998. Jefri must have bought the concept car. My jaw was on the floor.

Also saw Dauer Porsche 962's around the polo club and McLaren F1 long tails driving to the Autodrome.

However I only saw the Sultan drive one type of car, Mercedes SL.

Wi11am and marko.urbac like this.