430 - F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    1 gucci bag $2500.I will definitely take 3k a year on a ferrari any day way more smiles then spending 45min in a mall. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

You're not kidding. After our 6-7 year old MB GL450 crossed the 100k mile mark, it was a cash guzzler. We mixed it up with Indy and Dealer, but we were better off buying a new car based on the extra yearly cost. It was also a factor in us switching to the Escalade versus another Euro SUV. I'd say costs were almost comparable to owning the F430. The only catch is we drove the GL a lot and on frequent long trips with the car loaded (kids, bags, etc). It may not have been as bad if it was just short local daily commutes, whereas the F430 barely gets driven.

3. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Come to think of it, I can't think of a single high end vehicle that I've bought that I haven't spent a good amount on. That being said, I usually buy well out of warranty as I'm pretty much obsessed with buying +50% depreciated vehicles. Yeah it pains me that a Bentley I once owned for 10 months cost me $4k in service items, but someone else paid $150k in depreciate for it so I feel a bit better about it.
    The F430 Spider I now own I just bought in March and even with a PPI I spent north of $12k on it this year. Granted, $7k of that were the solenoids and cam cover gaskets, but if I can get through the next couple years and average $3k a year... I mean that's a win for these cars.

VAF84 and KC360 FL like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It has long been my belief that the Manufacturers/Dealers are raising prices of parts and service as well as denying availability of parts to customers in an effort to convince buyers into simply being too scared to own a vehicle out of warranty for fear of the unknown repairs and costs lurking... So most will simply decide to trade in at the end of the warranty. And there you have it. The Manufacturers and Dealers keep the cycle going.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster has averaged around $6,300 per year for maintenance over 7 years. But the car is special enough to put money into it, and the continuing appreciation has more than covered that anyway. And now, I think I'm approaching the point where all the components that have aged out have been replaced.

So at some level you have to decide if a car is special enough to continue to put money into it.

Dewinator, mathewr and armedferret like this.
  6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    this thread is becoming quite amusing, for me the shocker is that my 2008 F430 was soooo reliable for the first 8 years, I strangely expected it to stay that way, especially as my Challenge Stradale which I owned for 8 years was pretty good apart from the F1 pump. so for my F430 it was 2016 the $1.5k Aircon compressor, 2017 the $3k F1 Pump, 2019 the $4k Potentiometer and Lower Suspension arms, in 2020 the $9k Clutch and steering rack. It does seem to be mileage related, my SCUD only needed the Upper Suspension arms but it had only driven 7k miles.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    and its not just the cost, the above excludes servicing $1.5k a year, its the 2-3 weeks repair time off the road, usually in mid summer when you most want to drive it

unreelviper and tomc like this.
  8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Gee, I bought my '05 3 pedal coupe new 8/05. It now has 31K on it. Scheduled maintenance has cost less than 1K average. I do use an independent who charges by actual time vs. amount in a book. Headers were replaced under warranty as was a rear main seal. Since then, it's needed nothing. I used to track it so spent quite a bit on tires and brakes. Clutch is still original. Where did 175K in depreciation come from? My car cost 178K new.

Dave

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    mine cost $330k new with carbon discs and racing seats but obvious the $ has depreciated somewhat meanwhile. There are obviously some big savings with a manual non F1 gearbox!!

10. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I bought 2007 with a warranty in jan and 23K miles. So far it cost nothing but gas at 11 mpg.

11. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I note that prices are up right now as appreciation often reverses about 15 years in. If I sell it for the same price right now it will be a free car for me. Many folks are trying to fill in their bucket list since they began to think they might die or civilization collapse. I sell beach properties in Belize and Maui and have had the best sales of my life in the last month.. Houses in Montana and other remote dream properties are selling sight unseen.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wow $280k was the max a spider cost here in the USA.

13. Zeroh

Zeroh Rookie

Jun 27, 2014
    London
    Impressive... i had to replace my clutch at 20k miles... it wasn't slipping but it did take a fraction of a second for it to engage - when I took it out the flywheel was in pretty bad condition also... changed it all.... I had assumed buying the manual meant much longer clutch life but the reality is that its still totally dependent on previous owners use/abuse of the clutch.

armedferret likes this.
  14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Compared to my ex-wife, I'll gladly pay any maintenance bill on my Ferrari and still be ahead financially.

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. I cringe every year when the Tiffany & Co. holiday catalog shows up in the mail.

Seriously though, $3K per annum to drive an awesome F car seems like a bargain to me, assuming it's not negatively impacting your financial situation. If it's stressing you though, and ruining your enjoyment, sell the car. Life's too short for that s**t. Best wishes...T

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You actually go shopping with your SO? That's brave!
    T

17. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Married?.........If it flies, floats or [email protected] it!

18. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Dane. Great to hear it’s going well. As you anticipated I’m kicking myself for selling the F430

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Danedingerson likes this.
  19. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    This post is spot on, and if nothing else, **** remind all of us company by such a depreciated car, the main benefit is that you should drive it awesome. Nothing would pain me more thank spend $3000 a year on maintenance on a 10-year-old car drive 50 miles a year. Sixty dollars a mile is crazy. I bought an 07 spider two years ago with 19,000 miles on it I put roughly 3500 miles on it and knock on wood it’s been bulletproof. I drive it every chance I get!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Shark01 likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +100.....I wouldn't own any car that costs this to run. Even in my Diablo repair bills I described above (total $44k over 7 years), I'm running at $11 per mile.

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Not to mention my OEM exhaust muffler with a loose baffle section that was another $500 in 2020 and I am not finished yet for 2020 costs, so incl servicing, a F1 with 30k miles plus is 5k a year on average maintenance, Lambo style !

22. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Richard, are you for real?

Italian sportscar, now 10+ years old, takes more money to keep it on the road than it did when it was new (?) well... that’s kind of obvious. I don’t really get why everybody is stating literally the most obvious in Ferrari-land. Also, all of this can apply for almost ANY car.

armedferret and Themaven like this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But a LOT less than the $11,666 you've lost a year to depreciation....that is the real killer

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #49 Themaven, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Yeah that’s the point. Depreciation is the cost on these cars. A new F8 costs you zero in repairs and a fortune in depreciation. 50k in the first year. Same with every new luxury car.

Buy Richard’s 430 now and spend 5k a year, and maybe a bit of depreciation but not much. Nothing to complain about. Our cars are bargains in fact. I am not being trite, taking depreciation into account my gated 430 Spider is one of the cheapest cars I have owned. It has cost me less than my DD C63 AMG wagon.

In early 2015 if I had bought a new 911 GTS Cabrio as a fun car instead of the 430 (it was an option) I would have spent the same and lost 6k a year on depreciation alone every year. Way more than the total cost to me of my 430.

and if I’d bought a nice sensible E63 AMG..OMG.

430 has been a bargain!

25. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Isn’t this all just a solid argument to avoid buying a new car, specifically a standard Ferrari? Even if you have the money, why? As a company who seems to care less and less about exclusivity and more about large scale production, just wait a year or 2 then buy. People haven’t even got their F8’s yet and the SF90 and Spider variant is now being ordered.