Power steering 512 tr | FerrariChat

Power steering 512 tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I just installed EZ-power steering in my 512 tr! It makes the car feel 400 lbs lighter. Quite easy to do, it is a well engineered kit. Did most of the electrical work myself, and got a limber young guy to crawl under the dash. It took him 3 hrs to install the unit its self, and I had 6 hrs in the electrical. It take 15 years off the age of the car. Loving it! If I start feeling nostalgic, I can just pull the fuse and back to 1992!!!

Saving the removed steering shaft, and I can go back to stock if I ever want to sell!

Natkingcolebasket69 and Qavion like this.
  2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    That’s definitely good news. From whom did purchase the kit?

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Directly from manufacturer! Thanks to Steve M and Qavion (for his wiring diagrams)! Both guy contributions enabled me to attempt the wiring process!

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    meaning from your local ferrari dealer?

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It shuts down above 20 miles per hours, so yes and know. The car does have a much more modern feel!! Just backing out of the driveway becomes easy, round abouts, piece of cake!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Pretty interesting

9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Love it. What is the cost of the kit itself?

10. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
  11. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    we have done 3 of them now and the results are great.

12. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Once installed, there is no way to tell the car has been modified unless you lay on your back and look up under the dash. I installed the ecu in the same location at the power brake booster for easy access!

pilotoCS likes this.
  13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    So I reached out to Ez-powersteering about the amount of assistance. This is the reply I got:

There is always an amount of assistance left.

This is how we developed the kit because in general this is how most people like it.

Off course this is always a bit off a personal opinion.

If you like to have it hard at higher speeds you can put a switch in the thin red cable (15+ sticker on it) to switch it off during longer fast trips.

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    For the 512 but will it work for the Testarossa?

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why should it not work?

16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    They made many, many changes to the 512. It may work just fine and everything identical from the steering wheel forward, just being sure.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  18. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It took longer to do the wiring than to do the mechanical. To do the job I did the following:
    1. remove drivers seat (4bolts)
    2. remove knee pad at the bottom of the dash board.
    3. mounted new power steering ecu in cavity where the power brake booster is located
    4. unscrewed the 2 screws that hold the fuse board in place and pull slightly forward and lay it down flat on the cover (this gives you access to the main hole in the firewall for all electrical connections)
    5. run dedicated 40 amp supply wire from the positive battery to terminal the brake booster cavity
    6. There is a good chassis ground in the passenger side footwell and that is what I used for a ground
    7. you need a switched source +12 v and I tapped the yellow white wire in connector I on the fused board position 6.
    8. upon the advise of Steve M. I used this to trigger a relay that then told the power steering to turn on.
    9. finally, pull the instrument pod and found the red/white wire coming out of the back of the speedometer and tapped it to provide a speed signal to the power steering ( you might be able to tap this lower in the dash wiring harness and not pull the instrument pod) It can be a ***** to get out and back in place it you have never done it.
    10. I drilled an 1 1/4 hole thru the side of the brake booster cavity into the fuse box cavity. I used this hole to run all the wires that need to be run to the ecu.
    11. finally installed the unit under the dash, the supplied bracket was a direct bolt on to existing bolts. no cutting or drilling.
    12 . ran the cables from the power steering thru the firewall and then thru the previous drilled hole.
    13. mount everything up and plug in as needed
    14. drive it like you stole it!

19. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    FYI, they make a unit for the testarossa also, but the mounting of the unit is different, and there are 2 different types, so you have to determine which type your car requires. Call the manufacture to determine, or send photos of the area under the dash.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then police just will stop me because of speeding :)
    but if they would do so I could tell them that I just have drunken a lot of alcohol and wanted to be at home before the alcohol goes into the blood ;) :)

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    So the in-line electric motor augments the driver’s steering effort to the the rack’s input, yes? What gets removed to fit the motor and associated column shafts? Sorry if obvious—not familiar with the steering set-up on the TR and just curious.

22. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The steering shaft from the back of the steering wheel to the firewall.

ingegnere likes this.
  23. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I have almost pulled the trigger on this many times. Thanks for the great post

24. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    At least on a 512tr it is basically plug and play if you are any kind of shade tree mechanic and are comfortable with wiring a fun exercise. The results are spectacular! Every time I pull in to a parking lot I find myself looking to get a workout and then surprise!!!