FF Battery Died | FerrariChat

FF Battery Died

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Manish C, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    I had it plugged in and charging. I went to take it out for a drive after two weeks. Somehow the charger went out. Yikes. On testing Battery voltage was close to zero. Attached to my neighbors battery with cables for 15mins. The voltage climbed into the 10s. Attempted to start it a couple times, drained very fast. Didn’t start. Then also tried from a battery charger, 6amps. Kept defaulting and disconnecting. So decided to charge it with jump cables again. After an hour the voltage was back to 10s. Didn’t attempt, kept it connected and charging for another 15! Checked my voltage and it was 11.4. Prayed and turned the ignition. It started. Painful. But seems like it need to charge for over an hour before it loads up. Info for the next guy whose charger fails for some reason. Love the car however!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My experience with batteries has been most of them are only good for 4 to 5 years and if you haven't replaced your battery in your FF, it is maybe time.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Thanks. Its about 18 months old...so i'm hoping its just a one time event...was changed in May 2019.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If it's a Ferrari OE battery, forget it. It's on borrowed time. Once it has been down, it's over. Had the magnetic charger come loose on the Lusso while in storage which meant it went flat. Never recovered fully. It started the car, but threw the occassional code, it could not close the boot lid properly unless the engine was running etc. Don't wait for it to go wrong, just get it fixed.
    Either use a Braille B10049 if you prefer AGM, or get an Antigravity 80ah group 49 battery.

Why worry needlessly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Thanks. Appreciate the heads up. I dont need the worry!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Agreed with Il Co-Pilota. Once a high CCA lead acid battery has taken a deep discharge, its performance is degraded - even if the battery was brand new. Literature from Yuasa suggests that an auto battery can only withstand 3-25 deep discharges before it’s toast. From your description of events, it sounds like you already deep discharged that battery twice...

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^
    This.

8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There is suppose to be a way to get the battery to re-learn how to hold 100% again.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For a quality battery maybe. For a Ferrari battery? It's too dumb to learn anything...

10. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just get a new one. When the battery is compromised, you can get stuck somewhere and it's very, very difficult to get it to start or even drive off after you do get it started. I had that experience. The battery was so dead, it could only be flat bedded to the dealer.

vraa likes this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It's easy to buy a new battery. The most painful part is trying to put it in.