430 - F430 TPMS issues | FerrariChat

430 F430 TPMS issues

Discussion in '360/430' started by Howardtheduck, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    Well, now that winter is here, I'm working on resolving some of the "issues" my 2009 F430 Spider has.

The latest project is the a TPMS warning light that I can't get rid of.

I have an Autel TPMS tool and have tried reprogramming the ECU but the writes fail and of course, all the dash tells me is "service TPMS" but no real detail as to what is wrong.

I have replaced fuses and all the sensors show good battery with my scanner so I don't think the installed sensors are the issue.

Question 1.
    Any suggestions on how to diagnose what the actual problem is?

Question 2.
    The TPMS ECU is model 244952. Does anyone know of a place that tests these ECUs to see if the module is bad before replacing? I sure don't want to spend $2K if I don't have to.

Question 3.
    Does anyone know how to disable the TPMS system entirely? In reading through the forums, the F430 TPMS sounds like it's more hassle than benefit so an option for me is just to disable the TPMS entirely to get the dash warning to go off. I know how to use a tire gauge...

Thanks in advance!

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    TPMs from Amazon work just fine. Have you tried the normal re-learn procedure? Key on ignition and hold the TPMs reset button on the lower area under the driver side dash. Should then go green on the dash for TPM Cal after a while of holding. Go drive around and should stay off after set.

If you cycle through your TPMs is one tire not reading back? Have you tried deflating and reflating the tires?

3. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    Mine is an 09 so it doesn't have the TPMS reset button.

I have also tried disconnecting the battery for a period of time to try and reset the system as well but that had no effect.

I don't believe it's the sensors themselves, all of them show good battery readings from my Autel TPMS programmer.

I *think* it's a ECU issue but I sure don't want to spend the money unless I have to.

Any other ideas?

4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Oh did not know they got rid of the button. How do you reset the TPMs then?

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I didn’t know that a scanner could check battery levels in the TPMS. I have a X431, I’ll try it.

What symbol is showing on your dash? Mine is just showing “Check Tire Pressures” for about 10 seconds, right after I start the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
  7. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    I have an Autel TS508 tool for TPMS. I am very popular in the neighbourhood when everyone swaps to winter tires...

The dash has a TPMS error warning light and in the DIC, it also shows the TPMS warning non stop. If you disconnect the battery and reconnect, it will give you a "service TPMS" and a picture of the car with 2 triangles under the wheels of a side profile. That goes away but the TPMS warning stays there.

8. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    So, small update. No resolution BUT, I ordered one of the Autel AP200M OBD readers. When I plug it in, you get a ton of detail and now the TPMS reader says "battery voltage too low" on all 4 wheels as fault codes. The cheap solution is to buy some new sensors and have them installed in the spring.

OR, if someone has any idea how to disable the TPMS AND get rid of the super annoying TPMS error, that would be my first course of action.

Another new wrinkle is that I have the "challenge" rims and those were factory ordered. The manual says that the challenge rims are not compatible with TPMS but I'm almost certain that's a misprint. I know the guy that ordered the car and there is no way he would have let that one go without being addressed.

There are other posts on the Autel AP200M and I am also impressed. Super detailed. Things like how far the car has travelled in each gear, clutch wear and all kinds of useless statistics for engine, suspension, etc. Do you really need to know how many times you shifted to neutral (4,820)? Or who made the oil pressure sensor (Kavlic) or who made the oil temperature sensor (Bosch)?

9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I thought I read on this forum that the triangles under the wheels are a shock problem. I don’t know, but I’m sure I read that.
    I had the picture of the triangles under my wheels, but it went away.

10. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    The Autel and other generic testers do not give an accurate indication of the TPMS battery. Replace the sensors and drive the car 20'. The TPMS light will reset. Simple and easy...
    As to the triangles, they will frequently occur when the vehicle is lifted...and will subside once she's back on the ground and the system has had a chance to do another self-test.

No mysteries and no drama!

Sj_engr likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Your car is a 2009. Have the TPMS sensors ever been replaced? If not, your most recent low battery reading is likely correct. They only last around 10 years or less.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had an 06 350z with individual TPMS sensors integrated with the valve stem (more modern cars tend to use ABS wheel speed sensors for monitoring pressure, though some still use the older style) and they were beyond frustrating when they went bad. All sorts of errors OTHER than TPMS issues.

They lasted about 8 years and then needed replaced. I would tend to agree with Need4Spd in that your most likely issue is (if they're original) old/dead sensors.

13. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I believe you need to replace new sensors. They are Huff RDE048V21.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    do these work on all 2005 to present ferraris?

15. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    I think you are correct about it being part of the CST system. It went away after one key cycle...

16. Howardtheduck

Howardtheduck Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Howard Yakimishyn
    That makes sense. That only happened after I had it on my lift to do an oil change yesterday.

17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I think just 2005-2007 using the "older" system.

18. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just bought a set of TPMS in July for my late model (October) 2007 F40. The sensors are different for earlier(before July) 2007s, so make sure you are ordering the correct ones for your model year.

They were just $139 per set of four at www.tpms.com
    and they work perfect! No issues in swapping out the old ones for new at my local tire installer. The system reset instantly
    on start up and has worked perfectly ever since.

f355spider and Red 27 like this.
  19. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    In 2018, I had new Michelin pilot sport 4s tires put on my 2008 f430. Since I had Tpms light on, replaced all four Tpms sensors with Oro Tek OBE-011A sensors. 4 sensors for approx $80.oo with a 12/17 manufacture date. Installed tires on car. Started car and the Tpms light was out within 15 secs and I could now read all four tire pressures.

armedferret likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I just spent 1100 for 2008 scud tmps. Painful

21. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    When you say the TPMS light went out when the new sensors were installed, what light went out?
    On my 2009 the dash says “Check Tire Pressures” but no other light come on. That phrase goes away after a few seconds when the car is running.

22. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I had the red tire pressure light on

23. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Ahh okay, thank you.

24. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    You every thought of replacing all 4 sensor there over 10 years old the battery don't last forever

Need4Spd and armedferret like this.
  25. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    So I figured out my problem. The tire pressures were actually 3 psi too low. My handheld gauge was reading incorrectly. Once I brought the pressure up to 32 psi on the car dashboard, the Check Tire Pressure notice went away. Imagine that

armedferret likes this.