Question on Vandalism | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extra300

Extra300 Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    JJ
    I am planning on getting a Red 488, but have some concerns after spending time reading the forum regarding vandalism.

Is vandalism as serious of a problem as it is made out to be on here. I have read numerous posts about this and the answer from owners seems to be that F-cars are Point A to Point A cars and not to be left unattended anywhere, ever. I have also read on here that F-cars are the most hated cars amongst the exotic group. I had no idea of either one until I read it on here.

Whatever car I get, I plan on using it. I want to be able to go in a store, go into a restaurant, and stay overnight in a hotel without making special arrangements for parking. I would like to do this without taking the car to the body shop every week.

Are my expectations of using the car reasonable or should I look for a different brand.

Thanks

2. lawteam

lawteam Karting

May 15, 2009
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Full Name:
    Evan Fetterman
    Where do you live? I take normal parking precautions and haven't hesitated parking at restaurant, hotel, shopping area. If you can't leave the car without constant worry, you probably won't enjoy it. In Florida, no more subject to vandalism than any other high end car.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess it depends on where you live. I live in Memphis and exotic cars are extremely rare here. People either totally ignore the car or they seem to offer respect. In areas where wealth has been vilified, perhaps it's different.

I park anywhere, with the windows down and even the top down and never lock the car. I'd rather they open the door and see there's nothing to steal than do something that would injure the car for a trinket. So far, no issues after a year of leaving it all over town.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    No issues leaving my car parked at stores, restaurants, etc... Only had positive remarks, thumbs up and pictures taken.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ditto to the above in nearly 4.5 years of ownership. It likely depends on locale, and there's random luck, but where I am it's been pretty chill...T

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    With ANY "nice car" location is everything. Without going P&R, just know there are "hot bed" cities/neighborhoods that even a 1980 Honda would be at risk.

Just be prudent. Know "where you are"

There are neighborhoods I'm reluctant to park my Infiniti Q70 for more than a few hours !!

Jedi

VAF84 likes this.
  7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've never had an issue and my cars have done everything from the Home Depot run to hillclimbs and track days. I will have to admit that in 30+ years of Ferrari ownership, you can get a thumbs up or a middle finger. I bought a McLaren and it all changed, 100% love.

From a vandal standpoint, never an issue.

8. Extra300

Extra300 Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    JJ
    #8 Extra300, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    What a total swing of opinions in this first group of replies to what I have read on here. Maybe those people have not seen this post yet or they were the minority and blowing incidents out of proportion.

I do find it interesting that (Ingenere) made the statement that "I bought a Mclaren and it all changed, 100% love" That was also part of my original question and thanks for answering. Is anyone else that owns or has owned other exotics experienced something similar to this?

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Get a few cameras if you are worried about it. You can even put stickers on your car warning of the cameras but that can come across a bit *****. If you can't enjoy a trip to Walmart or a dinner without constantly worrying about your car, you won't be enjoying it as you should.

tantumaude likes this.
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Ive been here a long time and perhaps I stay int he sub sections too much of the cars I own but I've never really seen this prevalent concern of vandalism you talk about.

Either way, don't drive like a jerk when you have the car, don't park like a jerk when you have the car, when people want to talk at the gas station and places you park, talk to them like I'm sur you normally would.

Don't be scared to own and enjoy the car because of the fear someone might do something to it. Trust me it will take away from the ownership experience. Sadly some people dont own these cars because of that issue and its real. If you don't like the attention and cant sleep at night int he hotel because you fear the valet is out with his girlfriends then its just not worth it. They are cars, cant take them with you but if you are lucky enough to be in a position to own and enjoy one I highly suggest it.... you'll be fine!

Enjoy the search!

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I own a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster and a Ford GT, and get nothing but waves, smiles, and cell phone pics....live in Houston Texas. However, they are both point A-A cars so I can keep an eye on them.

I have from time to time thought about buying a 308-355, which would be inexpensive enough that I could take it to places and leave it and not stress over it.

12. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Forums can be a great source of information, but also misleading if you don't put things into proper context. People generally post when something out of the ordinary happens. So, yes, you're going to hear about the rare instances of vandalism... However, you also need to realize the amount of times these cars are driven and parked without incident. You won't see posts about these incidences, because they're nothing out of the ordinary.

The same thing applies to posts about mechanical issues. A couple guys make a post about a mechanical issue they experienced, and suddenly people assume it's some widespread mechanical failure. All while ignoring the fact that thousands of other owners are not experiencing the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ak Jim, Nospinzone and VAF84 like this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was going to post this very thing earlier today. Then I figured I don't read the 458/488 forum so maybe that's where those posts about vandalism are.

In 7 years I've parked my 612, and in 1 year my FF, all over the place, on public streets and parking lots, and never had a problem. And as far as reception, I have never heard an unkind word. On the contrary, I get thumbs up or genuine questions about the car. What amazes me is I will be parked in a public area and people actually ask me if they can take a picture of my car. Heck, I'm on a street, I have no expectation of privacy.

I will say there is a tiny minority of ****** Ferrari owners (none here of course) who do pi$$ people off. When I'm approached I always take time to answer questions, and if they want to take a picture I tell them to give me their phone so I can take them with the car.

SteveVT and tomc like this.
  14. Extra300

Extra300 Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Great answers and I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I will push ahead.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

You wont regret it. Your only regret will be you didn't do it sooner. What are you looking for/at?

16. Extra300

Extra300 Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    JJ
    I’m looking for a 488 coupe. Thinking red, but would consider white, black or dark silver. Not looking to run into problems with using it, but want to be able to sell it easily when I want to change things up.

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive been on this forum 15 years and owned three F cars and Ive never seen vandalism presented as a common problem.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have had one car vandalized in 45+ years of driving. It was a 1980 VW Sirocco that got gouged all the way around the car by a kid with a pen knife. Parked it in the wrong place I guess. Never really learned his motivation. Probably the least likely of the cars I've owned to BE vandalized if we assume pricier cars are a bigger target.

Just don't park stupid or act stupid when driving it and you'll be fine. In the past I parked the Dino in public lots, the 360 as well. Had a tiny issue, once, nothing to worry about, in 10+ years of ownership of 'em.

D

19. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    This right here. Vandalism is often not about being jealous or success but often about how someone else with the same kind of car/lifestyle pissed that person off. I’ve seen more cars get vandalized in “nice” areas of town than “bad” areas of town regardless of make.

20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #20 Innovativethinker, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    As the prior poster said, you can get a wave or a middle finger. You will be subject to both.

that means you will have strangers approach you more than they do now.

Some are not comfortable with that.

also, as other have said, it depends on where you live and where you plan on driving it.

For me, the unwanted attention was my #1 reason for selling both of my fcars.

I bought a 911 instead. Few nods and honks, but not the controversy that accompanied the fcars.

please note I’m in an area with few fcars, so your experience may be different

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is why i have my 'beater' 430.
    i do not really care what happens to that car - very little emotional attachment.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Other than some occasional thumbs up, I think most people in the area I live don't really know the difference between a Mustang or a Ferrari. But I still exercise caution when parking anywhere as I would in any car that I didn't want door dings and the such.

EastMemphis likes this.
  23. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I have driven my 575M 105,000 miles in 16 years and to/ from around 45 States and never had a door ding or other inflicted damage. This includes parking in retail store parking lots and hotel/motel parking areas, some in rather shady locations.

SteveVT, 19633500GT and Texas Forever like this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If you avoid parking in bad parts of town, you should be fine. I have had a guy spit on one of my Ferraris (driving through a very anti=car area of town) but that’s what ceramic coating and antiseptic wipes are for. Different countries also have different trends on vandalism. France was very bad recently, I don’t know if it has changed. Meanwhile anyone who vandalised a Ferrari in Italy would be strung up.

I have parked an average of 6 supercars a year on the street in front of my home in central London for the past 20 years for a week at a time (I review them). No incidents, except for once in 2004 when two wheels were stolen off a CL55AMG. Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, Astons, untouched. But I wouldn’t park them in a high crime area, or a high cycle area..