599 HGTE or F12 | FerrariChat

599 HGTE or F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by stan996turbo, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The price difference between these cars is low enough to have them potentially compete for the same buyer. It would be interesting to hear from those with experience with both highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each. I’ve driven the F12 and it’s sublime, although the refinement does diminish somewhat from the sense of occasion when driving.

2. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Was down to those two as well. Went with the F12. :)

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    F12. I think its a much more complete car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LVP488, Monsieur Yoge, MDEL and 5 others like this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    +1

Caeruleus11 and ScottJon like this.
  5. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I love my 599/ F12 is so much improved. Rear of the F12 is so ugly, fallopian tube looking. Darker color would hide the rear better. Hatchback F12 is wierd. Hmmm.... not too sure what I'd do.....

6. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I actually like the F12 rear end. I think overall the 599 is a more beautiful distinctive design.

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    perfect example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder... i think the F12 rear is a work of art.
    i also dislike blacked out rims...

2k8SB, MDEL, 350MH83 and 5 others like this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I had the opportunity to drive my friend’s 599 and F12 back to back in the canyons. The F12 was faster but a bit digital in its steering feedback. When I hopped into the 599, I loved the analogue road feel and I enjoy the hard F1 gear shifts. Between those two, I preferred the driving experience of the 599.
    Interestingly, if it were 599 GTO vs F12 TDF, I’d choose TDF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avia11, Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    F12 without a shadow of doubt. Unless you really like the 599 looks, I don't see anywhere the 599 is better - none what so ever. It's like a time warp going between those, the F12 makes the 599 feel properly old somehow. It's no different than a 430 and 458. Different era and overall better car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    True but there’s something uniquely satisfying about the way the 430 feels, very fast but not synthetic.

KY _Soldier likes this.
  11. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    I had the 599 Alonso and then the F-12. The dual clutch transmission was such a technical leap forward that it makes these cars from different generations.

The Alonso was the end of the old tech and the the F-12 felt like the “future “ at that time. I went on to own three more F-12’s but never returned to the 599. Probably still sends a message.

12. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    Try reading the F12 reviews and tests from when it first came out. They capture the differences and improvements very well.

I have an F12, and have driven the 599 extensively. The F12 is on another level, no comparison really. The transmission integrates so well with the V12 it's crazy.

Still, I am a huge huge fan of the 599 design. It has no weaknesses or unresolved issues. It's really sublime.

of2worlds, DRYHOLE, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know many say that, but I actually think it's the opposite. I like the F430 in many ways, but I just cannot get along with the esc system. It is not the most intrusive esc system Ferrari has ever made, but for me it's the most noticable because it feel unpredictable. That to me makes the car feel very synthetic.

I think if someone wants a car that feels properly analogue, one needs to go back further. To me the 599 sits in this weird limbo between old and new, and doesn't really do either well. It's not a bad car, I just don't see it as an analogue car in the same way a gated 550 or older is. To me it's a transition car and those have never really sat well with me.

People like different things, that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RDItalian, Adamas, Altoria F and 3 others like this.
  14. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve never tracked my 430 so maybe I haven’t pushed the esc hard enough but only the street in Race mode the intervention seems totally natural. I would not call the 430 analog but compared to more modern cars the experience feels more connected and less simulated.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    ^ this. I do like the car with its PF lines and big V12 and can also be had for good value but totally agree. It's a true generation behind the F12/812 in nearly every way yet not near a proper analog car. No comparison between the 599GTO and the F12TdF either.

of2worlds, Il Co-Pilota and day355 like this.
  16. ffanl

ffanl Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    poland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    @stan996turbo, i had hgte and now i'm buying f12. As above transmission in hgte is quite archaic. in hgte package its 20ms faster than ordinary gtb, but only on downshifts. In city traffic is very lethargic, to hit your neck at upshifts when you drive fast. Moreover hgte sport suspension is too hard for me. It's perfect for track - not for bumby roads because you feel every crack on the road. The most distinctive thing is analog technology. Traction controll in 599 is just myth. This car below 20 celsius degree want to kill you every time you flor the gas pedal. Seriously it's dancing from left to right. When you drive it fast you know every asphalt quality on every road in your neighborhood ;) In my opinion 599 is for true petrol enthusiast who really can drive very well otherwise he will be unhappy and 2 meters below ground. This is the answer why I actually sold my hgte. Without looking on these cons it's brilliant one of the most beautiful car with prancing horse in this price right now. Seriously, find me a better "ferrari" in this cash

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Looks hard to judge it’s so personal, engineering wise the F12 by a mile.

18. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thank you for your thoughts. It’s a good assessment of the pluses and minuses of the 599 HGTE

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Curious what you all think - what if the 599 was gated in this exercise?

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 599 was designed with the F1 system - while obviously of another era than the dual clutch, it was what was intended to equip the 599. A gated gearbox in a 599 is an anachronism and a poser statement IMHO, if one wants older technology just go for an older car (which I did btw - I recently complemented my 488 with a 550).
    Back to the 599 (HGTE or whatever) vs F12 - for me it's the F12 with no hesitation (and I did own a 599, which is a brilliant car).

of2worlds and Makuono like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

100%- it’s like an old video game. Never ages well. U either go manual or u go for a new car.

ffanl likes this.
  22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    A 599 with a DCT would be a great thing.
    But, back in the real world I think the difference in the gear box is key between the two models and that would would lead me to the F12.
    If one likes old school, a 550 or 575 Manual are lovely cars. The difference in performance between that V12 and the Enzo V12 is considerable. That said, none of these cars lack speed or power.

ffanl likes this.
  23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What a “looker” that car is....

ffanl likes this.
  24. ffanl

ffanl Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    poland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh, I forgot one thing. Sound of Hgte mufflers are quite good, but if you want to do somethng unusual read on. You click on this link and wait from 7:20 to 7:40 downshift . I know, it's too loud for somebody but this 6to1 catless manifolds from japan brilliant exhaust system will make scream everybody :p. Also fiammenghii is making them in cheaper price which you can listen at "my599gtb" instagram.

25. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A gated 599 is a poser and a DCT F12 isn't? Interesting logic.

As it relates to the original question, the 599 checks more boxes for me, particularly in the looks department, but specifically because DCT Ferraris aren't that interesting to me.