Need help with FF purchase | FerrariChat

Need help with FF purchase

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by zarama, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Looking to pick up a 2012 FF and thought I found one. It's a well spec car but higher milage, 37k miles. I read so much about the PTU problems with these cars I had the car inspected at the dealer and had them do a full inspection, the same one they need to do if I wanted to add the power train warranty. The car is currently out of warranty and was planning on adding the Power Train warranty for at least a year untill I felt more comfortable with the car.

I got the report back and there are a couple concerns and one means it is not eligible for the warranty. There was a "speed sensor" fault in the transmission and it is a hard code that comes back as soon as you clear it. It does not show a fault on the dash, only when scanned with their computer.

The second is a hard fault code to do with the front passenger magna ride suspension system. Once again they clear it and it comes right back and once again it's not on the dash.

The transmission issue is obviously by bigger concern. First of all it mean that the car is ineligible for the power train warranty. Also I got a rough estimate not $10-15k cdn to do the repair. I was told they have to remove the transmission, open it up, replace the faulty sensor and then reinstall.

I didn't fully look into the repair needed for the suspension, I don't know if it's simply a sensor that needs to be replaced or the whole strut assembly. The suspension seems to still be adjustable in sport more and shows no error messages.

I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge of these problems could shine some light on it for me.

Sorry for the very long winded post. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the 3rd gear speed sensor issue is like 3k to fix via an independent. $700 for the part and about 17 hours of labor. No idea about the magna ride. id get a quote from an independent. cld make sense to have them fix the issues then bring it back to ferrari for the warranty

sounds like a pass if you ask me.

3. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Hey TT, thanks for your thoughts, I really value your opinion on FF's as I have read many of your posts. Is the speed sensor always the third gear sensor? I'm located in an area with not too many indy options to do this work. Closest city that might have one is Montreal 2 hours away. I'm pretty disappointed about these issues as I was very excited about the car. Canadian stock of cars is drastically lower than the US, there is only about 10 for sale currently.

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    These are both significant issues that need to be addressed. I would suggest that you go back to the seller and ask them to rectify the problems before sale. If the seller won’t budge and the car is attractively priced already and you really want this particular car then maybe go 50:50 on the repair cost. Otherwise, walk away. There will always be another car (unless the spec is unusual).

can you post photos and a description of the car? - we can tell you if it’s something special and worth pursuing or if it’s a dime a dozen car.

5. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Here you go.

Rosso Maranello
    Vent seats
    Front lifter
    Power boot
    Front and rear camera
    And other nice cosmetic options
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    bringing a US car to canada is easy no? i sold my TDF to a guy in canada.

7. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Yes it is much easier now, this was originally a US car.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    buy one from the USA! pass on this one.

Bamsefar likes this.
  9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The spec is nice but not that unusual so either the seller pays for the repairs or you walk. As ttforcefed says, you can import one from the US if choice in Canada is limited.

350MH83 and Bamsefar like this.
  10. Akhil

Akhil Rookie

Feb 19, 2019
    Medina Washington
    Full Name:
    Tom T
    Do you know if the front lifter is working correctly? Pretty pricey repair.

11. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    You’re right that the official Ferrari fix is pricey as they sell you an updated pump design and the associated wiring/software flash.

However, there’s a cheap and easy fix for this if you go the independent route- it’s just a rubber O-ring seal replacement for the original lift pump.

12. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    There is no issue with the lift system. It's only the adaptive suspension setting and even that seems to work fine

13. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Front lifter - is not the lift on the FF all 4-wheels?

14. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Yes all 4 wheels, not only front on the FF.