430 - F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I spent $5K on my 09 335i the last year I owned it. It wasn’t nearly as much fun to drive, it was worth very little when I sold it (paid the sales tax on my 430), but it was a really good daily. Between the last owner and myself we spent about $5K per year over the past five years. I have a like new Ferrari that’s been a life long dream with no regrets, and the expectation that it could cost $5K every year going forward. I’m okay with that.

Flea7, Themaven and CoreyNJ like this.
  2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It was a different situation in 2005 when you could flip a new car for up to 40K profit. However, the flippers only wanted paddle spiders. The dealer made no attempt to buy my 3 pedal coupe when it was delivered. "No market for them" I was told. Fortunately, I ordered what I wanted and didn't want to sell anyway. Fifteen years later, it's now worth pretty close to what I paid. Had it been a paddle car, I would have lost 50% or more. Pity the people who bought the flipped cars for 50-75K markups!

Dave

Red 27, Themaven and armedferret like this.
  3. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    75 over, that would be me ‍♂️ I bought my 05 paddle coupe from the dealership with under 300 miles on it. I’ve always been very happy with it. I certainly enjoy it and it’s never seen the track. I haven’t done maintenance every single year, but it goes to the dealership regularly. It now has under 16,000 on it. Honestly I didn’t buy it thinking about value. I wanted it bad enough, so I got it.
    Lately though, I’ve been disappointed.
    Driving along one day and the headliner falls on my head. Then days later came the F1 actuator BS and all along, the sticky interior BS are things that should have somewhat been taken care of by Ferrari since they’re issues that are very common. IMHO. Could have been recalls years ago !!!
    Now I’m stuck without my car going on two months. 10 grand minimum estimate. Still no word on total repairs. UGH.
    I wonder what would be better, selling it now or keeping it ???
    Regular maintenance is acceptable but having to fix what’s been manufactured junk is crazy to me with such little mileage and being in a garage with ac and heat.
    Oh well, just my 2 cents☹️

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don't pity them, they paid a premium to have the first one on their block.

SpencerMarks, armedferret and tomc like this.
  5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are probably very few us who have kept their cars this long! Somehow, my car has escaped the sticky button issue so far. I have wondered why some go bad quickly and others do not. Is your headliner leather? I think they are at the bottom of the depreciation curve now so you might as well keep it unless you want something else.

Dave

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought my 3 pedal spider new in December 07, so it had the 2008 upgrades. I have 46k miles and just did the clutch last year. My car was $223k. My costs have been the same as you. Except last year for clutch was $7k

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

NMNMNMN, Red 27 and hardtop like this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Agree about new cars, though if nobody bought new cars we wouldn’t be able to buy older ones! just to note that the SF90 is not a replacement for the F8, even though it looks quite similar. Different price bracket.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    indeed it is a solid argument not to buy a new car, after this I bought by SCUD with 2k miles and 100k off sticker and my GT3RS with 3k miles with 70k off sticker. I pity all those people whom bought 488's new too

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    sure but 20k+ including servicing over the last 4 years is still not exactly what I expected

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Gucci? Louis Vuitton? That's Toyota money. Be thankful she doesn't frequent Hermes like my crazy ex did. ;)

DiabloTerr, tomc and CoreyNJ like this.
  11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    These aren't well-made cars; this generation never were, and never will be. The quality of some things is laughable.

Fun though :)

Ray Smith and E60 M5 like this.
  12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark

I heard a wise man once say "Italian cars have two torque specs for fasteners: WAY more torque than could ever be possibly needed, and maybe just a little less than it SHOULD have." ;)

mwstewart likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    strangely my 2004 575 feels more “solid” than the 430, you don’t feel lights or mirrors will come loose with one yank of the cover, it even feels like it’s made of thicker aluminium/steel.

However it has stickies which my 05 430 has not, yet.

Dealer replaced sticky parts on the 575 when I bought it with OEM items which are turning slightly sticky again, despite the car being garaged all five years I have had it.

430 interior is all original as far as I know, garaged next to the 575, and no stickies.

mwstewart likes this.
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Totally agree.
    It looks like Ferrari is going down the same path that Porsche did many years ago. Porsche pulled out of racing to pursue the development and production of their SUV. Not what those like myself ; dyed in the wool Porsche enthusiasts/racers, were too thrilled about. The next step in the wrong direction was inviting the Japanese into their facility to advise them how to cut costs on their flagship 911. More plastic, more throw away fasteners, and upping the production numbers to sell more and make more $$$$.

Not a good look for those who have supported your Marque for decades. My last 911 was a 993. After that came the IMS debacle of the 996 and the Boxster engines. For me that was it. I cut my teeth on 911s engineered to never have the words "catastrophic failure" a part of the equation. Do you remember the poor souls that bought a GT3 only to have the engine grenade itself -- many with only a few thousand miles on them?

I used to be proud of the fact that in their heyday, Porsche only made performance road cars based on their track successes. Looks like Ferrari has come to the same fork in the road. Sadly it looks like they are going the way Porsche did.

The upside? Do you think the skyrocketing prices of the "older" 911s has anything to do with Porsche's "wrong turn"? I do.

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My wife's 2008 Audi A8L cost me around 5k a year to keep on the road. Nice but expensive to maintain. Just bought her a Jaguar supercharged 5.0 XJ, we'll see what fun costs that brings....

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    European prices include a boatload of taxes, which you lose as soon as you drive her off the lot. Built in ~20% depreciation.

VAF84 and Themaven like this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    it’s another topic and I agree with you to an extent about the racing heritage. But Wiedeking was not the man who ruined Porsche, he was the man who saved Porsche. There were not enough guys like you and me to keep the brand in business.

Also the older Porsches were not without their own quality issues, like corrosion, and 928s were an electrical nightmare. If you can make money and still build some great cars, which is what Porsche still do, why wouldn’t you, when the alternative is going bust?

A 997.2 GT3 RS is as good as anything air cooled, for example, maybe less solid feeling, true, but they couldn’t carry on like they were.

mwstewart likes this.
  18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I agree with much of what you say here. And to add, yes, I apologize for straying off topic in this thread.

My point was simply that when this is the course these high end "sports car- exotic car" Marques take the result is a loss of quality, focus, and attention to detail. As a business owner I don't think is has to be this way.

Regards, Ken

Themaven likes this.
  19. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    3k per year sounds about right

Got my 05 MY car in 2018 from dealership and had the following services:
    -2018: F1 system wouldn't shift gears, they replaced pump, acculmator, solonoid and eventually F1 acutator. Out of commission 8 months waiting for parts testing and waiting for parts. Covered under dealership 30 day guarantee. Also had them do sticky no more and new spark plugs (no problems but decided to do since they were getting up there in age) I think 4k CAD (3K USD)
    -2019 Scheduled maintenance, new engine mounts, muffler cracked, reweld and install capristo mounts 6.6k CAD (5k USD)
    -2020 Scheduled maintenance, free 101 point inspection. New front upper and lower ball joints, did rear lowers anyways. Rear wheel bearing and fix bulkhead rattle 10k CAD, (7.5k USD)

I understand most of the common wear items have been done at this point so not anticipating any other large bills knock on wood. I love the car too much to get rid of it either way though

armedferret and tomc like this.
  20. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I double checked the belt date, which was from 2000. As far as I can tell, they replaced the tensioners (improperly) when they did the belts. With my car being a 2000, I'm guessing they were older stock. I bought the car out of service in 2017 and was told how the belts were done in 2013 or so. I later found an old for sale ad of the car indicating that the belts were just done by an fna dealership and they had service records. The service records were lost by the time the car got to me, so I don't have the best proof, thus why I don't mention which dealership. A friend of mine has a service record for an upgraded tcu that was never installed as well.

21. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing like finally buying your dreamcar and having a fellow enthusiast tell you its a piece of ****. Ive owned my share of 911s and they have about as much soul as my toaster oven.

22. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The build quality is poor. It's hard to deny. That doesn't mean it isn't a car worth having. When I hit the gas and the rearview mirror flew off and hit me in the face it was made rather apparent that the build quality isn't there. As if decades of sticky buttons didn't give it away. We all are here because we love the cars enough to put up with all of the hassles and problems of owning them, and there are many. More than any other car I've owned.

mwstewart and armedferret like this.
  23. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    fair enough.. ive had a half a dozen Alfas and another dozen old land rovers so no stranger to issues like that... ill take quirks and character over japanese or german built any day.

armedferret likes this.
  24. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Japanese/German for the daily commuter, quicks and character for the fun car. ;)

Maine57S1 likes this.