How Many Ferrari Dealers In USA In 1977? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Many Ferrari Dealers In USA In 1977?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jerome M., Nov 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Here you go:

SRongmao 8 x 12 Tin Metal Sign - Vintage Look 1978 Ferrari 308 Bar Cafe Home Wall Art Deco

SRongmao 8 x 12 Tin Metal Sign - Vintage Look 1978 Ferrari 308 Bar Cafe Home Wall Art Deco https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJD2S18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_F2VVFb4FE5RX7

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    #27 the_dan, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    So if you look very closely at the bottom of the sign it refers to the importer as being ‘Chinetti- Gathwaite’ imports (albeit with a PA address). Maybe linked to the Chinetti you refer to.

Also if you google Chinetti Garthwaite imports there’s some interesting stuff including a case report from 1978 on what appears to be a franchise dispute with Ferrari SPA.

3. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi Guys,

Jerry shared the dealer list from Marcel with me recently via email, & I've just found this thread.
    I own S/N 20757 (black GTB)... showing Jan '77. I assume you're saying this was the first 308 built in '77, rather than the first Ferrari? ...very interesting either way.
    I'm also in a similar situation to Jerry regarding unknown original dealer, etc. I bought it in 2015 & owned it in California (on blue plate), then relocated to Michigan with it more recently. I do have some intermediate ownership history on it.

Very keen to find out more about my car's early existence.

Cheers, Jeremy

4. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jeremy, I own #20817 which I suspect is right in line with yours on the assembly line and maybe the shipping boat as well. Mine is listed as January 77 which would mean it was built/assembled in 76. Happens to be black/black too. I am happy to share more of my history with you in hopes that it will help you in finding additional information. It may also help me in filling in a few gaps as well. Mine was sold out of Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY.

I am not following this thread on my mobile but happy to exchange info as needed, [email protected] or 206-852-3554. Thanks.

Tim Ross

5. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks Tim, I'll be in touch...

6. Fynmere

Fynmere Rookie

Nov 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter Millen
    Aside, Car & Driver did their first test of a US Ferrari 308 (March 1977 issue) with a Vetroresina because IMC & Charlie Kemp were the only dealer willing to lend them one. The article cites how they just reached out to (the importer) about becoming a Ferrari dealership. Its an interesting read: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33298474/tested-1977-ferrari-308-gtb-bucks-tradition-in-the-best-ways/

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I really miss those long form road tests.....so much better than the crap they publish on their web sites these days.

The guys at C and D in those days were crazy. I wouldn’t have given them my car, either! The crew that preceded them were even more gonzo, but probably the finest team of automotive writers on any masthead, ever.

:D

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Marcel, you are such a wealth of knowledge! Couple of follow up questions.

1. When you say 20’757 is the first 308 built in 77 would that be a steel or vetro version?

2. The Handbuch De Ferrari Seriennummern lists a few different steel versions along with one being the first steel version (20’805) but lists a prior one as steel (20’717). Do you happen to know the first steel version and the first steel version for 77?

Thank you again for all your insights and invaluable knowledge.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    20757 refers to the very first car built that year 1977, no matter which model and which type!

Marcel Massini

11. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Marcel, a Big Thanks from me as well! ...great info & I'm more motivated to research deeper.