Gearstick Rattle ZF S5-20 | FerrariChat

Gearstick Rattle ZF S5-20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Nov 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello fellow Maserati enthusiasts,

my Mexico drives like a charm, but my gearstick in my restored S5-20 gearbox drives me nuts. It vibrates a bit and therefore rattles at certain rpms and gears. When you touch and hold it, everything is fine. The gearbox itself works smooth, the gear stays in, no problems while driving altogether. I checked the parts diagram multiple times, no parts are missing. Do you have any suggestions what i can do to make it quiet and prevent the little vibrations? Any help is appreciated.....

CU lbird

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

Not sure this will help or not.. On my Mexico, Khamsin, Mistral, and Ghibli, there was a piece of foam
    sandwiched around the shifter, between the transmission and the transmission cover.. In your restoration
    did you come across such foam, and if so, did you replace it upon transmission installation?

Again, not sure it will help, but it is something to consider...

Mike

3. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Mike, good to hear from you. And no, i did not find any piece of foam on the transmission. The gearbox itself was already separated from the car when i got my project, so i can't be a 100% sure if there was any. But a piece of foam would not prevent the gearstick from rattling, wouldn't it? At least not for long, foam against moving metal does not last that long...
    CU lbird

4. tcbob11

tcbob11 Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert J Rourke
    The foam Mike mentions was still intact in my Mexico after 50 years, so it does hold up but as you say might not be enough to dampen severe shake. Any chance your driveshaft is out of balance? It could transmit vibration to the transmission. And it might be rpm dependent as you describe.

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ...if you are you hearing metal-on-metal rattling ...and if the sound is coming from the area of parts you have circled, I would start with opening that area up and applying a good amount of heavy grease. Rattling in that area is probably coming from a loose tolerance that may be wear, or tolerances designed for easy shifts (note parts 630 and 628 and 610), but both conditions would naturally need grease to silence it.

The other possibility is that spring part number 629 is weak.

Best of luck,
    - Art

6. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  7. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I don't think so. Engine and driveshaft were completely rebuild and balanced, and the rattle is clearly only dependendant on the stick. When i hold the stick with two fingers, there is no more rattle and no vibration at all.

We tried greasing already, but i will check the spring. Probably it is indeed too weak. I was initially thinking about trying to coat the ball end of the stick somehow to tighten the tolerances....

Thank you for the picture, the foam piece looks quite weird to me.

Thank you all for your input so far. The curing of the rattle will be done after the winter, but:
    If anybody else has more suggestions or ideas, keep them coming. I will try them out if feasible.....

CU lbird

8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Interesting.
    My K has a vibrating gear stick---no rattle---only in 4th and 5th---mainly 5th---and only when accelerating hard.
    Otherwise everything performs as it should.
    Two finger pressure and it stops.
    My mechanic does not think it is gearbox related.
    ?

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hoooray - i am not alone :)
    But what else may be the source of that? If anything else seems to be smooth and tight the only suspect left is the stick bearing around the 630 part in the drawing in my opinion. Everything else (engine, body vibration etc.) should be detectable when driving.....

CU lbird

10. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    From ZF Troubleshooting, FWIW:
    Shift Lever Buzz Present While Driving, Not Present During a Neutral Engine Run Up While Parked. Upper shift control selector lever damaged or loose. Lower shift control selector defective. CHANGE shift control selector lever. If buzz is still present, SEE in which gear the buzz occurs. DISASSEMBLE and INSPECT specific gear.

71Satisfaction likes this.