812 VS Rumors | Page 113 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    of2worlds likes this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    In a post Covid world cities will need many other sources of revenue due to significant lack of people. Covid proved there is no need for millions of people to bus, train, drive into cities. They might need to re-think their green gospel a bit IMO.

The shift to "stay at home" work will be transformational and home could be anywhere for many careers

uhn2000, j09333, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Unfortunately the green kool aid kills the left side of the brain permanently in most cases leaving the right side screaming- Control! Tax! Re-educate! Indoctrinate!- Resistance is futile.
    We are now the underground resistance not the mainstream. Stay strong and stay the course! Forza Ferrari and every other enthusiast car maker out there!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

stavura, mclaren slr, Shack and 5 others like this.
  4. johnsonchris84

Dec 27, 2017
    Orlando Florida
    Full Name:
    Christopher Johnson

I just would like my GTS to sound like my SF

5. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maybe I’m the odd man out but I like that my GTS is quiet at idle and then all hell breaks loose at 3k+ RPM. I don’t need to be all loud at all times and am happy staying as incognito as a Ferrari can be at a stop light. However, in the back canyon roads with the top down..watch out! That thing sings a beautiful song (GPF and all)

6. johnsonchris84

Dec 27, 2017
    Orlando Florida
    Full Name:
    Christopher Johnson

I assume you had or have the coupe? That is also soft at idle, do they sound the same to you?

7. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    Just throw a switchtronic on there and you’re good. Yes, GPF still takes out a large chunk of it but let’s be honest F12 also sounded better than pre-GPF SF and we accepted it IMHO.

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I don’t feel like my switchtronic was worth it on the 812. When I throw on the x pipe and rear boxes then I’ll see if that’s better.

PTG1 and of2worlds like this.
  9. johnsonchris84

Dec 27, 2017
    Orlando Florida
    Full Name:
    Christopher Johnson
    812 is a better handling car but still with the high pitched, GPF has changed that forever in my opinion.

KenU likes this.
  10. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes, I still have the coupe (but it’s for sale now). To me they both sound the same in the higher RPMs. The GTS seems louder on startup (maybe compensating for the GPF concerns?) but then at idle it’s very quiet. I had to check that it was still running a few times and that the auto start stop wasn’t on. That was likely because I was used to the coupe.

However, with the top down the GTS sounds infinitely better.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Back to the 812 VS Rumors... :)

12. johnsonchris84

Dec 27, 2017
    Orlando Florida
    Full Name:
    Christopher Johnson

Thank you for the feedback puts my mind to ease while I away my gts, thanks

13. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas

14. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Definitely do NOT sound the same to my ears at higher revs. Nor at idle. I went through the gearbox several times at high revs just to confirm this. The pre-GPF coupe has a distinctly different (more classic) sound across all rev ranges. Not saying anything negative about GTS - stunning car. But the sound is not the same

KenU and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    This is consistent with the impact GPFs have had on the Speedster vs GT3. The high frequency shrill is gone and replaced with a silkier but less racy sound. Hopefully Ferrari has had some breakthroughs with the 812 VS exhaust development to recover what’s been lost on the GTS. Titanium exhaust elements might help?

16. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I think peoples hearing aids are off or have fallen out of their ears. There is nothing quiet about the GTS exhaust. At start up it’s loud and grumbly, you rev it at 6 am and it will wake your neighbors up. Sure it gets quieter than the coupe at idle but when your foot hits the accelerator it’s loud. At higher rpms it screams just as loud as the coupe but has a lot more bass. Finally when you drive it with the roof down or the back window down it blows the coupe away. I can’t figure out how to post a video on here but happy to do so to dispel these stories. Again I’m not saying it does not sound different, it definitely does, but if the question is pure volume, then the GTS wins hands down.

junc and of2worlds like this.
  17. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    I have faith in Ferrari. The new Porsche 992.1 GT3 sounds pretty great with GPFs. I think the 912 VS can sound amazing!

ScrappyB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Please figure out how to post a video!

We would all love to hear it!!

Can’t wait to get mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It’s not a question of whether it sounds louder, I’m sure the coupe and spider are both at the limits of what’s legal. The question is what is a purer sound and truer to what the engineers at Ferrari desire for their V12 to be. They’ve made the best of an unfortunate situation in the time they had and given the choice, I’m certain those engineers would love to eliminate the device and revert back to the sound of the coupe. It is compromised in the GTS.

Now, the question is whether they’ve discovered new tricks/workarounds in the meantime that will be applied to the VS. As was stated, the 992 GT3 seems to have made progress in this area, at least from what I’ve heard compared with the Speedster. AP even hinted to CH at some new technology in the exhaust which he wasn’t yet in a position to share.

gliazzurri, mclaren slr, KenU and 3 others like this.
  20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I think people are missing the point. I’d argue the sound is not compromised in the GTS. The sound is deep bass ... it’s epic. I’d agree that it’s compromised in the mid engine V8s, but for anyone to go around talking about how the sound is compromised in the 812 GTS just has not experienced a Daytona or the 812 GTS. The 812 GTS sound is very much in keeping with the old school front engine top down V12 cars.

RamsHmb likes this.
  21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Is this for new cars or does this also include retrofitting?
    Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I didn’t say that it doesn’t sound good. Seems a few owners like the bassy sound but it’s not what the engineers intended, hence compromised.

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    How do you know that? Are you a Ferrari engineer?

24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Fair, I don’t know for certain but I strongly believe they would not willingly cut off some of the high frequency sounds emitted by their V12.

mclaren slr likes this.