BB Transmission fluid | FerrariChat

BB Transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Nov 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have tired Redline MT90, not loving it in this car.
    What do others use and suggest.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    imho
    I'm using good 'ole SWEPCO and think it works well. I've received some lukewarm (but not terrible) comments on F chat regarding it's use. I like it because it's a simple petroleum product which seems to check all the boxes. It is not great 'til the box warms up, but I like to treat it gentle 'til it warms anyway.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Are some of the synthetic gear lubes to slippery for the synchromesh ?

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have Castrol 75W90 and like it. I'm changing this weekend as well and using the same thing. No LS additive.

I find the shifting more affected by how well the gate is aligned with the transmission. Extremely sensitive.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No LS additive, dont these cars have LS.

7. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    My Boxer transmission does not seem to need it. No chatter from the clutch plates.

My Daytona, on the other hand, needs the LS additive and I use Mobil 1 with the LS additive.

To me. it’s just a compromise of no slip so the synchros engage smoothly vs some slip for the clutch plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Very bad to use in a TR and meant only for Porsche older units. The blue stuff. Red Line NS works well cold. Mine shifts great 1-5 when its cold. No skipping gears. Easy choice. I would like to try Steve's oil choice because he is just as smart as it gets!

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
  10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    By searching on the internet ;)

I would be glad to learn of any other GL-5 gear oil where the manufacturer specifically claims that it is also good for syncromesh transmissions -- I didn't find any others that did.

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Interesting. Quite the conundrum for oil I agree. If you think about it, lube on synchros is contradictory system for physics. Good catch! I've tried lubes that really didn't impress me with how synchros behave. I used the Redline products as well and have noted a limited slip issue. A call to Redline steered me to a different product which has worked well. I gotta check out Ravenol. Thanks again Steve.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Had the same experience with the Redline 75W90 NS (which they don't seem to offer anymore) -- very good cold-shifting, but the LSD chatter was just horrible (even after adding some of their LSD additive). Do give some feedback if you try the Ravenol -- every car (even of the same model) seems to have slightly different frictional characteristics in the gearbox so don't think that we'll ever have a "one-size fits all" solution and can only speak in probabilities.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's a good price. I'm used to re-resellers selling something on Amazon for more than the reseller that they get it from to make a profit, but blauparts is the Amazon seller, too (so I give them a demerit for price-gouging ;)).

14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The things you learn on Google ! I was just surfing around for oils and came across this:

Agip Petroleum
    Featured snippet from the web
    Agip (Azienda Generale Italiana Petroli, English: General Italian Oil Company) is an Italian automotive gasoline, diesel, LPG, lubricants, fuel oil, and bitumen retailer established in 1926.
    Headquarters: Rome, Milan, Italy
    Founded: 1926 in Rome
    Parent: Eni

Always wondered what a g i p stood for.

And this:

Is Agip oil any good?
    Yes, it's a good quality oil. perhaps that's because Agip, which is the fuel brand of Italian integrated oil company Eni used to sponsor Ferrari's F1 team before Shell currently sponsoring Ferrari.Mar 12, 2010

Any input Agip gear oils? I used to use their SINT 2000 engine oil with great results.

15. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    https://oilproducts.eni.com/en_GB/products/automotive-lubricants/lubricants-for-classic-cars/transmissions-lubricants/agip-novecento-80w-90

Here's Agip info from their website for classic cars. Their gear oil for manual trans talks about EP properties which means extra pressure and very slippery, so how is it w synchros and LSD ??

On the observations for Swepco... Any problems noted beyond the cold shifting? Bearing issues, corrosion etc? If I stay away from second for about 5 minutes, synchros work fine.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Not GL-5 (I'd use in a 246/308/328, but not a BB/TR).

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Like Steve i do like the Ravenol but i ended going with the ENi Rotra Lsx pictured below

Now my indy is putting in Spirax S6 in the 512tr which i can't get in smaller quantities

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for posting the possible GL-5 alternatives. I like the manufacturer's description of the ENi Rotra LSX 75W90 OK (however, they don't actually use the word "synchromesh" in the data sheet description, but it is strongly implied in the phrase "...gearboxes... in modern vehicles").

Is the "Spirax S6" that you are using Shell Spirax S6 AXME 75w90 or Spirax S6 ADME 75w90 or something else?

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You are right ..i was always thinking it was the spirax S5 ate but now that you made me go look iat again and it is the S6 axme which i agree doesn't seem right ..

S5 ate is the one that is hard to get and seems to be the right one for our cars

I don't know if the S6 is supercedes the S5 ..more research needed and have to check with my indy to see if I misunderstood him

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, I like that Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 datasheet just as much the Ravenol datasheet, if not more, since the description is so spot-on for the BB/TR application, and they include "synchronised gearbox" plus "Ferrari" ;).

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think the bigger concern iirc is that the 360 etc have brass sync vs tr's have steel which may not be affected as much

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that the Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 may have a problem with non-ferrous components? I don't see anything on the Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 datasheet one way or the other, but do note that the Ravenol datasheet specifically claims "good compatibility with non-ferrous metal".

23. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #24 2dinos, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020

Good catch. Most definitely only use GL-5 in a Ferrari gearbox, especially the BB having the hypoid bevel gears. The Agip/Eni 85W140 oil is GL-5, but a too heavy a viscosity. Wonder why their 80W90 only satisfies GL-4?

Another lube is Mobil-1 ~~> Never tried their trans oils ?

Granted the Porsche synchro like the Dino uses behaves differently w respect to oil than the cone type BW synchro used in Boxers & 308's. I use Swepco for the Dino & BB, and Redline 75W90 for the 308's. Here's a case to show the different synchro behavior with the same oil. The Dino is fine with Swepco cold, but BB must warm. With the 308's on Redline, they too must warm before I try second gear.

Got me thinking more about the Ravenol. So the key performance observation is 2nd gear is fine when cold in the BB??

How we love them so!

24. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I have enjoyed reading this thread, with lots of good, thought provoking information. Just my two cents, but for 275, Daytona and 365 BB (with ZF synchros), I am now using Mobil 1 75/90 plus LSD additive. Works great in all the cars, cold or hot. I did try the Redline in the Daytona and could not get rid of the LSD chatter (even with the additive), but the Mobil 1 stopped it immediately. I have also used Amsoil in these transaxles, with good results, but the Mobil1 shifts with less effort.

2dinos likes this.