First Impressions: Blu America 812 GTS | FerrariChat

First Impressions: Blu America 812 GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BaronM69, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Just picked up the car, drove it about 200mi, mostly highway.
    Coming in from 13kmi in a 812SF past year, first impressions and comparisons start to emerge.

Overall, the car is superb.
    Blu America alternates from looking deep black with no direct light, to a slightly darker shade (& deeper) of Blu TDF, when receiving heavy direct light.
    Darker colors fit the shape of the GTS better imo, and Blu America gives a classic/elegant look to this GT, while adding a touch of magic with the depth and ever changing colors + shades of the paint.

I was anticipating to find the car back end design less fluid than the Superfast, but in person, especially top down, the GTS looks are impressive and balanced.

To level the richness of the paint, Cuoio Toscano seemed like a better fit than Cuoio. The grain of the letter adds organic character to the cabin. Little touches for the trained eye only.

GPF.....
    I would give it a 15% less "peak noise" and probably 20%+ less sound from inside the cabin.
    The cockpit felt much more insulated from engine and road noises than the SF.
    The SF was a true sports car born GT, the GTS is definitely more of a GT.
    Don't get me wrong: the V12 still sounds heavenly, quieter at low range but that's not an issue (makes the car more civil for city use) and there are two magic buttons in the GTS: drop the window behind the seats and the opera will intensify (even at speed with no air in the cabin), drop the top down (convenient and quick) and you're now on stage with the musicians.
    Waiting for Spring will be tough.

Not enough drive to really judge the dynamics.
    The car didn't feel heavier though, gearbox seemed slightly faster and the ride was more comfortable which is likely due to the softer nature of the Sottozeros that are non run-flat tires.

The trunk is smaller.
    The SuperFast was gobbling up a massive piece of luggage conveniently loaded from the top thanks to the hatch opening, making it SF an easy "1 week trip car". The GTS is a probably a 2 day trip car, or you'll have to buy clothes where you go or ship your luggage ahead of the trip.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    great color combo.....big congrats and enjoy in good health!!

we are waiting for more pics of this beauty....interior/exterior and in any light condition

NürScud and BaronM69 like this.
  3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Agree, would love to see pics in bright light! I haven't seen this colour on an F car before but love it! Also great work on choosing Cuoio Toscano rather than standard cuoio.

A few observations (I've had my GTS for 2250 miles)...
    - The sound will improve dramatically in the first 1000 or so miles. More bassy and more loud. I agree with your observations about the sound being decent. The only thing missing for me is the scream at high revs (which is why I'm having sports cats fitted soon to replace the GPF)
    - You mentioned slightly softer ride. It don't think it's because of the tyres, but rather the suspension has been calibrated to be slightly softer than the SF to suit character of car

I'm lucky to have driven mine a bit in the decent weather already (incl. week long road trip through Scotland), but agree with you, bring on spring (with no Covid restrictions!) and we are lucky, lucky men!!

Karl

4. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Beautiful! Congrats!

BaronM69 likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

BaronM69 likes this.
  6. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    The color Blu America is absolutely beautiful, great interior combo,perfection! A Big Congrats!!

BaronM69 likes this.
  7. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Absolutely lovely, thank you for sharing these pictures.

BaronM69 likes this.
  8. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    What a spectacular 812. Enjoy in good health.

BaronM69 likes this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    This is exactly how I would have speced a GTS if I had the opertunity to order one, which I don't (reason is I have not bought enough new Ferraris from Autoropa, so I do not qualify........).

BaronM69 likes this.
  10. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Damn that’s gorgeous. GREAT spec. Very well done. Can’t wait to see pics and thoughts with the top down!

BaronM69 likes this.
  11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Gorgeous, congratulations!

12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    If you’re still interested, I would call your dealer again to check. I spoke to a dealer in the UK today and they have several cancelled orders for GTS. Reason being, the market for used 812 SF is bad here and guys don’t want to trade their SF for a GTS so are cancelling GTS orders...

Bamsefar and of2worlds like this.
  13. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Looks nice! Cool pic in front of the US Capitol!

BaronM69 likes this.
  14. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Absolutely beautiful spec. I was wavering between blu America and Grigio GTS. You are making me question my choice! That looks stunning in the metal...looking forward to seeing more pictures in the sun. Thanks for sharing.

BaronM69 likes this.
  15. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Stunning colour combination. Congrats.
    More pics please!

BaronM69 likes this.
  16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I love your color! Blu America is on my to do list for a future car so glad to hear your rave review!

BaronM69 likes this.
  17. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
  18. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Thanks all for the complements

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Great spec, I am hoping to get my order in soon. I do have a question in regards to rigidity; does the car shake at all on rougher roads? I've had one person tell me there is quite a bit of flex and for example the mirror shakes like crazy. I am hoping that this is an isolated issue as I would not be able to live with that.

Caeruleus11 and BaronM69 like this.
  20. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I have just done about 100mi of backroads, and didn't notice any shakiness at all. Roof was closed though.
    No squeak, nothing.
    I was not pushing, breaking it in gently though.

ryalex and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nice writeup. What is interesting to note is your mentioning of slightly softer ride. Will be interesting to hear your view after 2000 km as the suspension needs driving to loosen up

I'm intrigued by your description of the Pirelli winter shoes being softer. I absolutely hate them for the opposite reason. When ever the Lusso is on winter boots, going from the MPS4S to the Pirellis is like going from smooth pavement to cobble stone. I see nothing soft or comfy about them - and as actual winter tyres they are mediocre at best. I think you will find a bi improvement going to summer MPS4S when time comes, sp make sure your dealer don't fit PZero's come spring. Once the suspension has loosened up, the exhaust burns in and you get MPS4S on it, you should have a crackin' sports GT on your hands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    The Winter tires are non run flats, and as such are less stiff and less noisy than the run flat Michelins.
    Now, I personally don't like the Sottozeros, and find that the Michelin Alpins are much better once the temp goes sub 5Celcius.
    Same on summer tires, Michelins win :)

Caeruleus11, 350MH83 and of2worlds like this.
  23. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I also have one and have not noticed any cowl shake. I actually had a decent amount in my 458 S but same area w the GTS and nada. Not sure if others feel the same.

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.