599 F1 Gearbox light query. | FerrariChat

599 F1 Gearbox light query.

Discussion in '612/599' started by virendra, Nov 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Hi, looking for some suggestions. Saw some oil marks on the underside brace below the F1 actuator area. When I turn on the ignition, the red light for Gbox comes on with a message saying low oil and changing gears not allowed. The display panel shows N . Anyone experienced this. Had a look around the Gearbox and seen 2 or 3 hose joints with a few drops of oil. The car will not start. Also need to understand how the technology in this one worked. There seems to be a clutch right behind the Engine and then the gearbox at the back. What is the function of the clutch and how is it activated/deactivated. ANy oils to be replaced in that area? or is it just the usual Engine and gearbox oils in this car. Many thanks for any inputs.

2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    F1 gearbox is a robotic manual gearbox.

For easier illustration, lets say it is an hydraulic system (pressurised oil on a closed circuit) on top of the manual gearbox. With time, hydraulic systems might develop leaks which prevent the system to reach the needed pressure for it to work. The accumulator is also known as a weak spot. Refer to these schemes (https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/599-gtb-fiorano-usa/all-pages/f1-clutch-hydraulic-control-75885 or https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/599-gtb-fiorano-usa/all-pages/power-unit-and-tank-75886).

When you open the door, do you hear the F1 pump working - pressurising the system?

3. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Tks. Yes, the rear F1 pump turns on when driver's door is opened.

4. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Part No 247227 (3 way pipe) was dripping slightly at the end. I read somewhere that the system only has 1-litre oil in it. Is there any way to top it up? The canister at the top seems to be quite inaccessible. (unless oil can be pumped up from the leaking pipe :)) With obvious spillage expected.

5. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    . I saw that the owners manual shows 3 kinds of gearbox errors. One is low oil level (The one I have as it shows oil level dipstick), one is a more serious fault that turns the warning light on all the time with an audible alarm too, showing operating failure. The third is the blinking light showing low system pressure. In terms of the design, it seems it's the same as the 360 F1 with the clutch part separated from the gearbox part

6. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    I've had a similar issue recently - turned out to be the clutch hydraulic line that runs from the front of the car to the rear and sits above and near the prop - the prop had worn through the armoured (Goodrich) line which then just needed to be replaced

Makuono likes this.
  7. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Justin, in your case could you start the engine or did it suppress the engine starting too?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    To add fluid, use a long hose on a funnel so you can replenish the F1 oil. Very likely you now have air in the system, too, so you will need to take her to someone with an appropriate diagnostic tool to have the system bled, any leaks fixed, an F1 self-test run, and the clutch point of initial slippage (PIS) optimized.

9. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Tks. DO you think for now I can open the door a few times to self bleed first. The car is stuck behind another car and very hard to remove with no power. Even if it were to start and engage in gear for a short time, it will help me get it out of the drive. tks

10. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    The oil found on the cross member below is not red or black and looks very clear. Wonder if it's from the diff or gearbox. I assume that there are 3 separate oils here. One is for the F1 pumps, one for diff, and one for the internal guts of the gears

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F1 system does not self-bleed. There is one 75W-90 oil type in the transaxle (transmission and rear axle combined) and one hydraulic fluid/synthetic ATF in the F1 system that shifts the gears and actuates the clutch.

If you fill the F1 fluid and nothing still works, you need to get here to someone with the proper diagnostic tools and knowledge to fix her.

Anthony James likes this.
  12. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Many thanks for all the help guys. Sadly the issue is slightly more complex than thought Image Unavailable, Please Login due to poor workmanship by a previous mechanic it seems. The main bolt holding the L shaped metal tube with the 2 copper washers was either cross threaded or overtightened. I opened one part of the 3 way rubber hose at the bottom and pushed some oil up to the reservoir to see if the level light would go away. As it happens the pump got activated with the door being open and the copper washer started pissing oil. Replaced the washers and put it back and it loose due to a damaged housing. Opened it again to have a closer look and seems the housing body was butchered. Not sure if lathe work can fix it or even worth it? So now a case of removing the unit and then stripping it to remove the good bits and just using the housing body from a used one. . Its the same part as the Maserati but prices are all over the place., Some suppliers in the UK selling them for GBP 500 while others in Germany asking USD 3500. (which is even more than the original part price of 1500 pounds). Now a case of removing the unit so any tips from anyone who has done it before are appreciated to get an idea on time involved or if any special tools needed. Seems you can remove it without removing too much as I have already removed the cross member and exhaust insulation shields. Meanwhile, the car stuck in gear and impossible to move. ANy tricks on disengaging the gear/clutch without powering it on. Or can I remove some fuses to deactivate the Gearbox electronics and then also disengage the clutch so that car can be pushed. Many thanks

Makuono likes this.
  13. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    My fluid was clear also, and happened a few weeks after I needed a diff rebuild as the rear end was "sloppy" so was furious when it needed doing and immediate reaction was that it was due to the rebuild, but wasn't.

Mine would switch on but not start either - Fingers crossed for you.

14. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Tks Justin. SO you mean you had a low oil level light, you could turn on ignition , but when you pressed start on the Steering wheel , there was nothing. In my case the starter does not engage.

15. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    yes that's correct

16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I assume you have looked at Eurospares?

https://www.eurospares.co.uk

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Yeah, quite a few people have bled their F1 systems using the “door open” method.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

The ECU has registered the error and doesn't allow you to start the car - for safety reasons.

During the beginning of the pandemic, I haven't start my car for more than 3 months - stayed on the battery tender, though. When I tried to start it, the dashboard showed several errors, one of which was a transmission malfunction - it didn't allow me to start the car.
    Using the cut off switch, I cut the power for a couple of hours and once I tried again to start the car, most errors were cleared (no transmission malfunction anymore). All was cleared during the first couple of drives.

Maybe you can try add oil - as I believe you did before, and reset the system (battery cut off). Once you restart the system maybe the car gives you time to activate the F1 and insert Neutral so you can move the car out?

Is using car dollies a possible solution to bring the car to a better position?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

virendra likes this.
  19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Virendra, What is the year and mileage on this car? What's the history that someone was that deep into the car screwing things up?

20. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Hi George/ Ricardo, It's a 2009 with 21000 KM. Just look at how the housing got butchered. I have a Maserati 4200 F1 I am scrapping and parting out. I have a strong feeling the housing body for both cars is exactly the same. If so , its not a bad switch. Took me 2 hours to remove the unit working without a hoist using AXLE stands. Came up with suggestions for other members while doing this that I will share on a new post shortly.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like a candidate for a heli-coil or something similar.

virendra likes this.
  22. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    The Maserati 4200 F1 valve body is 98% similar to the F599. The only diff I could see was the size of a seat for the oil supply pipe as they used different pipe systems for delivery. However, the thread size is exactly the same and so is the internals. Just the valve numbers printed are all different than the Maserati. I Will let you all know how it goes once it's fitted and primed with new oil for which I presume the SD3 is the only choice now as the whole unit is empty. Interestingly there is no instruction in the WSM to set up the unit from empty if the car is NOT in N. What happens if someone were to have a leak while driving and lost the F1 pump mechanism?

George Vosburgh and Makuono like this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She would likely go to neutral before everything died completely.