My Mohawk Lift | FerrariChat

My Mohawk Lift

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EastMemphis, Nov 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought a Mohawk mostly because it's maintenance free and doesn't use cables under tension in any way. It's fully hydraulic. The System 1A-10 has a capacity of 10,000 lbs. and a stroke of a six feet. It fits under the ten foot ceiling of my garage and has a three and a half inch height for the arm pads. The arm pad fits comfortably under my 360 Spider with a hockey puck.

The lift arrived on an 18 wheeler and required a forklift (I had to rent one) to remove from the truck and move to the garage. The install went pretty smooth and as expected. I learned some valuable lessons about drilling concrete and flaring stainless tubing. On a DIY scale from 1-10, I'd rate it a pretty close 8. Lots of potential danger from heavy things crushing bones and wrecking parts of the garage. Luckily, hardly any blood spilled.

Here's the 2,500 lb. package on the way to the garage:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raising one of the 1,000 lb. pillars:

The finished lift with my car near the top of stroke. It's at the perfect height where I can walk under it without bending and not hit my head on anything except the arms. They're yellow and obvious so I should make contact with them regularly.

The lift is positioned in the middle of the garage, which is 26' long by 24' wide. That gives about eight feet in front of the car and six behind it. Plenty of room for tools and equipment. When parking normally, the lift is about even with the front tires so completely out of the way.

I can raise the 360 all the way to top of stroke and still be short of the ceiling by about an inch and a half.

The pads are very low profile and fit nicely under the car. I stacked a hockey puck on the pad to protect the car.

They don't list the cost of their products on the Mohawk website (https://mohawklifts.com/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/) for a reason. The first time I heard the price, I nearly laughed out loud. Then I did a lot of research on competing systems that matched my requirements and Mohawk became worth the price. It's an impressive piece of equipment that's way more massive than anything else I looked at.

I ordered my lift in August and it was delivered in November. Total price including a rotary hammer, bits, forklift rental, flare tool and other things was about $10k.

Redneck Slim, MK1044 and jimshadow like this.
  2. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The "Cadillac" of lifts.

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Without question, the best shop purchase I’ve made. I spaced my towers 11ft apart, and I am happy I did.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I went with the standard 10 feet. I could have gone a bit more but it looks fine at the standard width.

5. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    How thick was your concrete where you drilled for the columns?

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I built the garage with the knowledge I'd be installing a lift so I designed the floor so the concrete under the columns would be at least six and up to eight inches thick. All that's needed is about five inches so the floor was overbuilt. In addition, I placed 1/2" rebar as suggested in the design documents from Mohawk. That led to hitting the rebar while drilling one of the holes. This proves the old adage that the best metal detector for finding rebar is a drill. Luckily, I had purchased a special 3/4" SDS+ bit that was made for cutting rebar so it was only a hiccup.

Pawilly likes this.
  7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Smart purchase...!! I had a Mohawk lift when I lived in upstate NY...most likely to be the best of the best....today I have a 10K two post Forward lift which has served me well for many years..Without a doubt the best tool in the workshop.
    Congratulation...Enjoy.!!

8. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Some people might think that a lift like this is overpriced, but the fact is at ten grand, you're into the lift at four bucks a pound. I manufacture machine tools, and I pay two dollars a pound for my steel, and four dollars a pound for my castings. So Mohawk has a pretty sharp pencil to make money on these. I bought one twenty five years ago, used it for several years in my Ferrari repair shop and it's back in use. By far, the most robust lift made. I have three Challenger storage lifts, and they're toys in comparison..

JCR and EastMemphis like this.
  9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Great move!

I got my lift ~ 15 years ago, I can't remember life without a lift

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My A-7 is close to 10 years old. Works great... just not using it as much lately.

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I installed a single column ACL parking lift. It's manufactured in Texas, and has an American hydraulic pump and ram. I've been fairly happy with it for the past ~15 years. I have a friend with a Mohawk service lift he bought many years before me, and it's indeed very nice!

I recall renting the forklift to get it of the truck. Fun stuff. Crazy how heavy that column alone is! I had four strong friends and a winch help make it vertical.

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Looking at your yellow lift arms - did you get an optional arm that has the drop for lower cars? Mine has the yellow arms that are straight and not low enough to easily fit under. I have a routine I have to go thru that’s a pain. Looking on their website and nothing obvious.

13. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Best part is that it is made in the good old US of A.

Great choice.

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I see on the Mohawk site that the A7 appears to have straight arms vs. the System 1 which has the stepped arms.

NbyNW likes this.
  15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No easy drop arm conversion for the A7. The A7 is mounted at an angle with one set of arms shorter, so adding the drop arm would add too much length and due to the swing angle might not hit the car jack point.
    I could add them to the longer set of arms but not sure if that would help.

16. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Top Quality lift my friend who owns a shop has 2 and he has no problem lifting anything I seen a 3/4 ton pick up once with a full load of stuff in the bed on the lift and it was like nothing for it
    Plus like the 2 post better then a drive on this way you can unload the suspension on the car when stored

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. don.advantagelifts

May 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Advantage Lifts
    Try Backyard Buddy lifts, they are 100% made in USA, American made & American Strong. Check out our premium lifts made in USA before making any decision.

18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm afraid your BBL lifts look like toys compared to a Mohawk.