Market Analysis Video Ferrari 599 | FerrariChat

Market Analysis Video Ferrari 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Inadeje, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

#1 Inadeje, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Since this is the 599 section, maybe owners or potential buyers may find this video interesting. It seems pretty accurate, using real market data.

Caphill and F3RN4ND0 like this.
  2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing here.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Very Good! I always love to see different perspectives on the 599. For me the carbon package was a turn off so I didn't look at cars with that option. Mileage is always a double edged sword. Cars that are driven are exercised regularly where as cars that sit dry out and create their own problems. Wheel options are another area that would determine value. I personally prefer the Monolithic wheel to the HGTE wheel. All in all I've never seen a 599 that I didn't think was drop dead gorgeous!

Caphill and Makuono like this.
  4. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    In a way I find this video to be saddening. It suggests that too many Ferrari buyers worry about mileage because of resale value. That's a real drag on the pleasure of Ferrari ownership. I have found it much healthier to say, I can afford the depreciation cost of my driving this car whenever I want to. People who need to worry about the depreciation cost of driving their Ferrari are going to miss out on many of the pleasurable hours that they could have when owning one. With my first one, I worried about adding miles, but after ten years of ownership I discovered that protecting the depreciation factor was not worth the lost hours of fun. So presently I don't worry about the additional miles. The best way to enjoy my Ferrari is to say, I could even afford a total loss of this car (though it wouldn't be pleasant), so why should I worry about losing some depreciation value while enjoying the driving experience?

5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

All in a "healthy" degree.

Using my Ferraris as daily cars would take the unique/magic for me.

Daniel

Makuono likes this.
  6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    driving almost every day adds to the magic and love.....and honor to experience.....not to mention the many likes I/we receive on the road.

I could go on but don't need any more vehicles to help out my day: YMMV

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, and in 30 min I am off to the gym in my 599.

Caphill, aseweepay, Makuono and 2 others like this.
  8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I'm not driving everyday, however, I am driving frequently! Getting very close to putting it away for the season due to aged rubber and cold temps. This spring, it will get fresh rubber and I'll put a significant number of miles on it. BTW, I've owned it since late July and have already put 4,000 miles on my 599. Hoping to do double that next year.

Nothing worse than saving a Ferrari for the next owner......

Jim

Nonoyeahyeah and Mamich like this.
  9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    PS, I found this reveiw today as I was surfing....

Jim

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I remember this video, the guy doesn't like the way the 599 looks! LOL!

jimshadow likes this.
  11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    not the brightest, but I did like his expression the first time he got on the 599. :)

Jim

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    It was interesting how he compares the 599 with the F12. I recently acquired an F12 with the plan to sell my 599. But I am struggling with selling it! While I prefer the F12 in so many ways I still love driving the 599 too!

The 2015 F12 had 3k miles on it when I took delivery. 5 years old averaging 600 miles per year. In the first 5 days with me in the seat I put over 800 miles on it. I could care less about mileage. I wanna drive em!!

13. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

hi SCantera, like you I have the 599. I’ve also been looking at the F12. Beyond the modernization upgrade in media in the F12, what would you say is the most endearing real world driving upgrade in the seat-of-pants sensation over your 599? I haven’t driven a F12 and your qualified reasoning, being the owner of both cars at the same time, would be really interesting to read.

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    First....let me say I am not an expert. But I don't need to be one to answer your "seat-of-pants" question. In a simple word.....balance. Both have great torque and power that provide a sensory thrill. However the 599 always felt front heavy to me. In an off-camber deep curve the 599 wants to push. You can try to compensate with the go-pedal but it's somewhat of a struggle to make it work. Where I live in the mountains I have found the best way to make the most of the 599 is to head straight into the turn, stand really hard on the brakes and try to get it pointed before power down. The F12 doesn't have as much understeer in slow turns as the 599. It's so much smoother and instills more confidence of its capabilities than the 599. Easier to drive quickly and smoothly.

my 2 cents

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated. When I first drove my 599 fast, the weird sensation I noticed was that the front pushed wide, or better said it felt like it was but it wasn’t. It was the classic sensation of understeer. Since I have other vehicles that don’t have this unwelcome characteristic it took quite some time to get used to and was actually quite scary at speed initially. I learned over time that the front is solidly planted even if it doesn’t inspire confidence, so I grew accustomed to pushing on regardless. Apparently the HGTE package resolves this, but I haven’t ever driven a 599 with this package. Thanks again for your comments.

SCantera likes this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 599 is under wheeled up front. GTO 9.5" front wheels, like the F12 size, will cure most of that understeer.

Texas Forever and SCantera like this.
  17. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Indeed, I'm thinking about the Hill spacers as an inexpensive alternative to the GTO wheels.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- That will get you more track, but not much more grip.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  19. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    I put Michelin MPSS on the front & rear of my 599 and that naturally meant they went up a size, a combination of slightly wider rubber and 10x better quality rubber really sorts out the grip massively.

20. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

May I ask the exact size and serial # of Michelin? My car is on the standard pentagon wheels, is yours?

21. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    #21 Justin Hughes, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Skidkid likes this.
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly what I have BUT my tires are getting old and a bit hard. If it is 55 degrees out I can't pull away without chirping the tires. AND if you get on it hard it gets pretty loose. New tires for me in the next month and will probably move to the MPS4S; The MPSS is EOL.