Bodge job on door light switches | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bodge job on door light switches

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew McCrae, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It just comes to my mind, that US-versions have two of these switches per side. What's the purpose of the second one?

Best
    Martin

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Only one on passenger side on 85 us QV

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    So what's the purpose of the second one on the driver's side?

Best
    Martin

4. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    On the 328, it's for the open door buzzer.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @Andrew McCrae & @Martin308GTB -- What was the final disposition of the "secret source" of an alternative to the door switch from this thread? I need two (missing from my driver's side) and definitely don't need originality. Just looking for suitable replacement switches w/o having to spend hundreds of dollars.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Requires a slight mod, but here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Courtesy-Door-Light-Switch-Spider-2000-X1-9-128-124-850-Interior-Button/193278917037?hash=item2d005239ad:g:3qgAAOSw-a5eCj5t

7. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Unfortunately, my car has the original push-in kind...not the screw-in kind. Basically the type referenced by the CAD and original postings in this thread...

I'd seen the screw in types, but was hoping to avoid punching another hole in the car.

8. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Jason, with all the talking we did yesterday we must have skipped over the door button conversations. LOL. I repaired mine in my QV with a suggestion from another Fchatter in an earlier post. It requires drilling and tapping the button and installing a non-conductive nylon washer between the screw and the housing. I have the tap, screws and nylon washer sizes if you’re interested in repairing. I’ll gather that information up and post for others to see as well.

Also, it was really great talking with you in person yesterday about these’s 308’s. Anytime you need to compare you can always shoot on down.

ANDREW

9. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  10. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Porsche 356A is very close apart from plunger color and connector. I bought three from Stoddard and quality is vastly superior to OEM. As a former Ferrari Parts Manager in 80’s and 90’s we went through the switches like popcorn. GT4 switches are very different and Fiat switches are entirely different.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn, Saabguy and miketuason like this.
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that will work, thanks for posting Gregg.

12. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Andrew, unfortunately, my switches are completely missing--nothing to repair. But good to know if I find a set of broken ones I can make the fixes. Also, was great to hang out yesterday and talk 308s!

13. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @flaviaman I'd seen those 356A switches but wasn't sure if:
    - hole diameter was correct (do you need to drill out to make 'em fit?)
    - depth will work -- the portion behind the panel seems much deeper than the original and wasn't sure if there's enough room between the mounting plate and the A-pillar frame
    - spade connector -- did you just bend those U-shape into a flat to connect to the original harness?

Sounds like you've installed 'em...please tell us more!

14. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have installed them on my own car. Not much to say really....solder a male pigtail on to accept the connector and you are good. A ten minute job. Replace all three so they match.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Unfortunately we didn't succeed finding a source for the NOS switches, which were 100% identical and used on some old Volvo cars. All the Scandinavian Volvo parts dealers seem to be sold out and meanwhile sell some substitutes.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...which buzzer we do not have on our "euro" 328s.

Rgds

17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How many door switch do you have on the Euro 328?
    If one, then you don’t have door buzzer originally.
    If two, then probably door buzzer is disconnected.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One switch, Mike. No buzzer originally.
    (And the car is therefore lighter...)

Rgds

miketuason, rjlloyd and Saabguy like this.
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's ok, I have the template for the hinge cover plate, and my ex gf's shop cut one while we chatted for ten minutes...

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No wonder Euro cars are faster, I’m removing one of my switch then, that’s extra 10hp. :D

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My memory failed on the door switch - yes, THIS is the one I actually used to replace the dead ones in my 308. Needed a bit of tweaking to make them work, but the lights do now actually function 100%.

22. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Oh the irony! While I'm a newbie to the 308 world, I'm loooooooong in the Volvo world. My first car was a 1967 Volvo 122S (technically my second car, after I totaled my first car, a 1972 Mercury Capri, after only 3mo of ownership...but we don't really dwell on that car). I owned that Volvo for over 20 years before trading "up" for a 1963 Volvo PV544, which I've owned for the past 16 years. I've rebuilt B18's, swapped B18's for B20's, rebuild SU's, swapped out for Webers, restored dashes/instruments, reupholstered, etc. and generally have a huge pile of Volvo parts covering the period from 1958-1970.

So after the hint from @Martin308GTB this morning, I headed over to my storage unit where my 544 awaits some near-future body work. And sure as day, that courtesy door light switch is identical to the 308 switch. The plunger button is aluminum instead of white plastic and slightly shorter, but otherwise, identical. Same metal stampings. Same assembly welds. Same spade connector. The only other difference is isolation washer is paper on the 308 vs plastic on the 544 (surprising, given that the 544 part is 17 years older than the 308 part).

I haven't sorted thru my boxes/shelves of parts, but I'm fairly certain I've got at least a few more of these on the shelf. But it doesn't really matter, since you can buy these new or NOS from the Volvo resto parts folks. Or on EBay. Volvo part #658383. I already ordered a few new ones to see just how close they are to the original--should get them within the next week. Oh, and expect to pay 5-10% the current market price for the 308 original part.

Huge thanks for the pointer, Martin!

Andrew McCrae and boatr2001 like this.
  23. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    thorn likes this.
  24. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Yes, I recall Martin was in the process of buying the white plunger and the other salesman sold them to another customer.

I bought the Volvo silver part which dimensionally looks identical a few months ago unwittingly. It was shown in photos to be white. So Ferrari and Volvo owners have to put up with close but not quite. Mine aren't fitted until I get 31829 out of storage in a couple of months.

TurtleFarmer likes this.