F8 or STO? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    They are many different types of carbon fiber. Different weaves of the fiber and thicknesses of the weave. Then you have the lay up schedule with how it's put together.

My prosthetic leg uses these different types of carbon fiber.

My foot is a tight weave and designed to have a spring effect.

The pylon tube from foot to knee is forged carbon and obviously very stiff and strong.

The socket ... the part were my residual limb "stump" goes into it a different weave designed to be light but stiff in part and very slight flex in another part we're it rests on my ischial tuberosity bone.

All interesting stuff but why would people think a car company like the ones we are talking about use some inferior carbon fiber design? These companies have extensive racing experience and engineering to pull from.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mike- agree. In my little knowledge of CF, I’m aware there are different types for different indications. However, I’ve been to the Mclaren factory in the UK. There was nothing inferior about anything there.

mdrums likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Depends. Ever heard of unobtanium? Or the Kevlar weaved by the two specially trained, but slightly drunk Italian spiders Luigi and Guido? A car made from that will weigh only 25 kg and it can crash into a wall doing 400 kph without scratching the paint.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hey! Be nice to the Gremmie. It was a cool car:cool:

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yep agree... I would never dream McLaren using inferior carbon layups... those that say this have no based facts i bet.

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Here's a video on a McLaren carbon tub repair

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Co-Pilota and Boomhauer like this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am sorry. There may be a historic factor and perhaps some nostalgia associated to the Gremlin. But it was a hideous car, along with the Pacer.

mdrums likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Asking aging for proof other than a 7 year old article that mclaren carbon is inferior to Ferrari carbon.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So I just reread this article more carefully. The only reason the Mclaren tub is considered inferior because the Ferrari engineer said it is?? Really? That’s what you are basing your opinion on?

The article also stated that the La Ferrari tub is 75kg and the Mclaren P1 tub is 90kg. 15kg weight savings.

However, there is no mention of the dimensions of each tub. For example if the P1 tub is 30 pounds heavier but the entire tub is 50% larger, the. You can’t claim the La Ferrari tub is lighter.

Regardless, that article was bogus and nothing but conjecture. I’ll happily reconsider your point if you can provide further proof.

11. Regardless of whether the McLaren monocoque is better or worse than another marque's, the fact (and it's a fact) that McLaren produces all of its cars in a carbon monocoque is proof that the British company is doing something that no one else is doing.

And the fact that they can make that monocoque in four hours is nothing short of praise-worthy.

epah, Boomhauer, nmcclure and 4 others like this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Isn't McLaren on their 3rd or 4th generation tub? Reducing side sill 'step-over', lighter, stronger, reduced manufacturing time and cost. Not standing still or settling.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think its just great that people just make sh** up and run with it. Too many people around here know what's up to get away with such nonsense.

Shadowfax and SoCal to az like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Will @REALZEUS respond??

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Probably thinking about his response now.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    He may have knocked the lid off a few too many Koolaids and has a hangover.

Gh21631 likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Back on topic- here is the price list for the STO in case anyone is interested:

18. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I have it but a huge file

20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    anyone other than me sees the CF options as a bit of a joke? The car is 75% CF. Watch the demo videos from Lambo. This car is made of the same stuff as Boeing Airliners. Why are folks willing to pay 10s of $1000s for us shiny CF? The wing in shiny CF is $10k...but, it's already CF just not shiny. I don't get it. Who cares if it's not shiny? Not to mention that the shiny CF will need to be covered with at least one layer of PPF. Shiny CF discolors with age...and shiny CF is a fad. In 10 years people will see it as dated. The non-shiny parts are far tougher to rock chips etc. Non-shiny is far more in tune with what this car truly is, a road-legal race car in the purest non-BS sense. No other car manufacturer has ever producer a STREET car that was this close to its race car brethren. Not even Porsche.

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I haven’t started to spec yet or go thru what the prices will be. I will most likely pass on carbon outside, or some crazy $ paint. The STO seems to be like a Ferrari now...all options.

Boomhauer and SLDriver like this.
  22. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    B
    The rear wing is black plastic, if you want it in matte or gloss CF you have to pay. It's ridiculous.

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Same here. I have to think long and hard what options I want because you can easily sink $50k just in carbon and paint alone and you still have other options you need to worry about.

I reckon the average spec will be over $400k, add in AdP and we could be easily hit $430k.

Shack likes this.
  24. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve priced mine (if I get an allocation) out at around 396k before delivery and GGT. This is with a free color. At that price you have to wonder if it’s just better to get an EVO RWD at 150k less. Anyway, getting back to CF, I think the STO will look “incomplete” without all exterior in CF but fortunately I prefer matte over gloss so that saves some $. One option I have a hard to with is the sports seats. Both the race seats and the sports seats are about the same price on the non STO versions yet Lamborghini only charges extra for the sport seat on the STO with the race seat as standard. Are the race seats a reasonable choice or are the sports seats worth the upgrade?

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #650 Shadowfax, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    This is a car you don't want anything but the race seats and all the carbon. I cant imagine buying a car like this, putting sofas in and cheapskating on the look. It has to look the biz at the very least. Its all the stickers that are not required - the micro dot nike sandshoe lookalike stickers and the sto door stickers are what kill the deal. They make the car look like a pair of nike runners.

epah and ScrappyB like this.