GTE electrical whine | FerrariChat

GTE electrical whine

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 635CSI, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My GTE has started making a strange electrical whine in the cabin.
    It happens when the key is turned to the on position before I press it in to start the car.
    The car starts as normal.
    The noise continues.
    It seems to come from behind the dash, but it is hard to be sure.
    I will have a proper look later, I think it will be a good idea to start removing fuses and see if the removal of any of them stop the noise.
    Any thoughts on this and possible causes would be welcome !
    Thanks in advance...

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok, I took out the top left hand fuse, which is the starter system. So it will be something to do with that.

3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Graham,

my first guess would be the regulator in the upper right footwell (on a lhd car) as you say it is when you turn the ignition circuit on. Not sure if yours is rhd or lhd. If it is not tge approach you plan makes sense to me. Not sure if it helps.

Christopher

4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Perhaps an interior fan motor switch/lever is "on", and it is energized upon employment of the key?

RF.

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Christopher , maybe worth checking , is it located behind the carpet panel?
    Fred , That was what i first thought and checked. All Interior fans are definitely off.
    The noise really does seem to be coming from the engine bay, bulk head area.

Thanks to both of you.

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Graham, I was writing my first post while your second appeared with myself not noticing it. If it comes from the outside it will not be the regulator.
    This is located in the upper footwell on the right side in a lhd car behind the air hoses, but inside the car. You do have the ventilator on the bulkhead in the engine compartement and the wiper motor. Both should be easy to separate in terms of the noise. The starter solenoid is operated by pressing the key and again easy to separate.
    So you say it stops when you take out the top left hand fuse. Will take a look at my wiring diagram tomorrow.

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thank you, much appreciated

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Graham,

just checked on my car and wiring diagramm. Fuse you mention is wired to alternator/generator controller. Beside this to ignition coils. So as suggested above I would check for the controller. For position please refer to my post above and enclosed picture. Hope you find the noise as something like this can run oneself mad.

Christopher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Great Christopher I will look later today, John V on another forum suggested putting a decibel meter on my phone and chasing the noise that way. Will follow both approaches and report

10. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Just one thing. Mine is a Series 3 and my wiring diagramm from Kerry is also for a S3 and America. Yours is a Series 1 but I assume wiring to be not so much different.

635CSI likes this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    serie 1 has an alternator, serie 3 a generator

12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I know. But I believe both should have the regulator in the right hand side footwell for a lhd car and the wiring should be comparable

13. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Graham. did you find the source?

14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi, unfortunately I couldn’t make time to do it at the weekend, and I have started a new job ....will try to get to it in the week.

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Not much point in trying to figure out an electrical problem in a 60-year-old car, without knowing at all which version we are talking about and what type of modifications have been done to electrical circuitry. In an original S.1-2 car there is harly anything inside that could keep noise, except blower motor maybe. On late cars the alternator controller is inside if I recall right, but I would presume a transistor unit would just die quietly and the relay is still on the main circuit board in the engine compartment. It should be relatively easy to listen if the noise comes from the inside of the car, engine compartment, inside main circuit board, behind it (wiper motor), under the car (overdrive-plunger), inside left rear wheel well (electric fuel pump) and it should also be relatively easy to disconnet a few fuses/wires to eliminate components under suspicion. My main suspect is an added relay inside dashboard or center console, which has a loose wire and therefore rattles til it dies. I'd try a stetoscope to trace down a sound, a piece of hard plastic hose works fine especially if you put a plug to your other ear.

I would be particularly concerned that it is not battery plus that is "whining". My GTE, likely being one of the first cars built with bigger 400-watt generator (DN63), had the circuit board revised for a larger voltage regulator (IR50A) and it was installed with a very small space separating the three terminals from the bodywork, including terminal 30+ a.k.a. battery plus. As soon as the carbs flooded, the regulator ignited the car like a torch.

635CSI likes this.
  16. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    You might also try contacting Tom Yang at [email protected].. He has worked on a lot of GTEs.

17. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Ser 1 has a generater and the later ser 3 has a Marelli alternater

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t think so
    a generator has 3 phase AC with diodes to get DC, and an alternator produce AC ( as I know, the translator is not 100% )

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Right, I have checked the noise in various places as suggested by Kare above, using a decibel meter on my phone as suggested by John Vardanain on Tom Yangs site. The noise is loudest here , directly above the coils.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  22. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I would check any electrical connection on the coils and the distributors. Also the capacitors itself. Check the coils resistances. Check the ignition points.

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this could be the problem

disconnect from each coil the + wire and see from what coil the noise comes

christc likes this.
  24. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I agree. By removing the HT leads without having the engine run it is clear that nothing happens. As Romano suggest remove the positive feed of the coils one after the other and look if something changes.

25. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok , will do tomorrow and report..