Idle sticks at 2k when I slow to a stop | FerrariChat

Idle sticks at 2k when I slow to a stop

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by davemqv, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I took my Mondial QV for a drive the other day and noticed that when I slowed to a stop, at a light, in traffic, whatever...the rpm's stuck at about 2k. If I gave the gas pedal a quick tap, it would instantly settle back down to normal idle +/- 1k rpm. It's a new issue. Three weeks ago when i drove it, it was totally normal.

Anyone have this issue or know what could be causing it? I haven't been driving the car that much recently due to move prep. ...once every two or three weeks. Conveniently this time I was driving the truck to a have it loaded on a transporter to ship to my new mechanic in CA where we're moving, but I'd like to know how much sleep I should be losing over this. ;)

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    No electrical component in the throttle system (no throttle microswitch) and no mechanical parts in the ignition system on 1983 Mondial QV so your first focus has to be on the throttle plate mechanical system IMO - acc. pedal mechanism (carpet), throttle cable, throttle plate mechanism. Easy to do a visual to see if the throttle plate is more open when released slowly vs. when released quickly (just by looking at the throttle plate adjustment screw to see if the throttle plate is touching it or not).

wmuno likes this.
  3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    With an all mechanical system it's straightforward to inspect and lubricate all the component parts. Also, check the return springs.

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    What they said ! Mechanical drag.

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone! That doesn't sound too bad. My nerves and my wallet thank you, too! Lol

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Throttle cables can fray. When they fray the strands bunch up and they can jam in the sheath. It can be intermittent. I had it happen with a car as I rolled to a light in traffic. 4000 rpm in neutral, shut the car off, worked throttle and restarted and it was “cured”. Was very relieved to get stopped before the rear of the car at the light.
    Inspect it carefully.... or your nerve and wallet might NOT be so happy.

2NA likes this.
  7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Frayed cables will eventually break. Then you walk home.
    It's much easier to replace a cable while you still have the old one to "fish" the new one with.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Most likely a sticky throttle cable (been there), and they don't get better.

No way of lubricating them either (and a lot of them you are not supposed to lubricate anyway)

9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Check the number 3 fuel injector line. If it is not clocked properly then it can interfere with the throttle linkage. Dragging cable or linkage is also common as it gets colder out and the grease gets stiff..
    The only other item I can think of is the fast idle valve on US vehicles which is closed through a thermal vacuum switch on the coolant expansion tank. a loss of vacuum or partial vacuum leak will cause that to partially open resulting in a above normal idle.

spirot and Qavion like this.
  10. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Check your floor mat resting against the throttle pedal. Or failing throttle cable.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would agree on the cable - however if its fraying you should be able to feel this when you press the gas... ( engine off ) you can feel the resistance. My other guess ( this happened to me ) is that you have an air leak that is adding more air to the FI system plunger... so either at the cold start AAV or could be a cracked o ring in the throttle idle screw ( this one is a PITA ) I would also check all the electric connections under the trunk. finally you may just have cracked vacuum hoses... not sure where you are located but when the weather changed I would get some running issues due to old hoses. ( crakes open or close - heat or cold.)

12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Check the hose clamps under the plenum. A tail pointed up could make for interference.....

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    +1 for carpet (my TR does that on occasion).

My BB had a hanging throttle caused by a fraying cable. The cable manifested itself as an open throttle, i.e. when the cable intermittently sticks in the sheath, the car would rev to the moon in neutral, or just accelerate smartly in gear (it is fun when your Boxer becomes impatient just decides to do its own thing in traffic). A slightly elevated idle sounds more like carpet to me.

Did the car just get work done before the issue developed?