F12 to a Pista | FerrariChat

F12 to a Pista

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by FRR12, Nov 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FRR12

FRR12 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Anybody here trade up there F12 for a Pista or even own both?

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Trade up? Not in an F12/812 thread!

ag512bbi, SECRET, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have both, 2 different cars.

Caeruleus11, Pis7a2020 and Alcav5 like this.
  4. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    @Bundy did a TM F12 and TM Pista. I’m sure he could tell you.

5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I owned both. Very different. The F12 is a wonderful car, charismatic v12, great engine sound, can be driven every day. The Pista is one of the best handling Ferrari of all time, almost too fast for the road, looks incredible (to me) but the engine sound is mediocre and it is too uncompromising to drive every day. It depends on what you want, both cars are great

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ait_z28, LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I agree with George’s comments. Both are great cars but really different. I find the F12 (and now 812) to be truly practical road trip cars with tons of storage and a real elegance. The sound and for me, knowledge that you’re piloting a machine with a handbuilt NA Ferrari V12, gives the F12 a real sense of occasion and specialness. OTOH, the Pista’s exterior design gives it a tremendous presence and it (and the 720S) are probably the best handling road cars I’ve ever driven. They almost handle as well as my Radical SR3 RSX which is mind blowing. Imho, you can’t go wrong with either but they are VERY different machines. Good luck with your decision.

Caeruleus11, SECRET, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I own the Pista but never the F12. I do however have at least 5000 km behind the wheel of the F12, and that's being VERY conservative.

Anyhow, between the two, I think the Pista is the more "complete" car. The reason why I say that, is because they are too different to directly compare. So for me to make sense of a question like this, I need to look at the cars individually for what they are. The Pista is very much on the mark, and have very few things that "annoy" me or bother me. The F12 is a bit more a mixed bag of bolts to me. It has some things that I find deduct from the overall experience, and that I know would annoy me on a daily basis. The three things that does not work for me, are the following.
    The steering which I find way too light and twitchy.
    The interior which I have found to get a bit too rattly and "loose".
    The extremely busy suspension, that on one hand feels fairly soft, but at the same time manages to shake and rattle you, and ends up making the whole car feel nervous. It's interesting, because while the Pista suspension is firmer, it still manages to be more comfortable because the chassis feels a lot more planted and less harsh.

So from a standpoint of which is the overall more complete and better car, I think the Pista is far superior. But it does not offer the same room if you want a touring car and it does not have that glorious V12.

So what does this come down to? What dobyou want to do with the car.

Between the two, the Pista is an easy pick for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly

9. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I own both. Like others have said, two totally different experiences. Take this weekend for example 400 mile round trip getaway, no discussion, F12 is the go to. Luggage space, comfort, that V12! Slightly more low key, depending on color, mine is TDF Blue and it flies under the radar a little, unless people know what they are looking at it doesn't attract as much attention which is nice sometimes, especially when parking in public places / hotels etc. That said as soon as I got back from the trip I took the Pista out for a drive, totally different experience, wilder, sharper, louder, don't think I'd feel as refreshed if I did 400 miles in the Pista. Drive them back to back and you will realize as others have said you can't really compare them, they are so different.

Bmwatts and MDEL like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Just to add, I think the Pista probably has a better ride than the F12 but the F12 has the engine experience. The Pista engine experience is all about the effectiveness. It is VERY effective. But less emotive because of the relative lack of tonal differences comparing to the V12. To be fair, Ferrari’s V12 NA is one of the most magnificent engines of all time, so this is a tough comparison. If you are someone for whom the engine sound and revving to the sky takes the utmost importance, then you may regret the change. However, the Pista engine still makes an engaging and encouraging sound and the car is a blast to drive. One suggestion- Ive been finding more fun with my Pista on winter tires vs the Cup2 tires. I think the Cup2 tires are just too performance oriented and very difficult to get into their optimal operating range for street driving. I can do it, but its not that often. Thus, I am thinking of switching to Pilot Sport 4S for the Pista summer tires and I have a feeling they will get into their operating range quicker and that range is wider and the break away is more progressive.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

day355, MDEL and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well said! That’s why I’ll keep the FF- the sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That is one of the best features of the F12 (and 812) is that it’s a total sleeper on the road. No one takes much notice of it.

Bmwatts and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s sort of relative, I mean it’s not a Lambo but it’s not exactly discrete either;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    True. Very relative. For an Italian supercar, it’s about as incognito as you can get.

15. FRR12

FRR12 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Thank you all for your replies. you guys are so lucky to own both.
    as for me I only get to choose one and I think I'm sticking to my decatted F12 for now.

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

16. FRR12

FRR12 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    sorry my bad. LOL