Any red 348 owners with photos of your door sills? | FerrariChat

Any red 348 owners with photos of your door sills?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am considering painting the rocker panels of my '90 red 348ts to match the color of the car (red). However, I am unsure of the paint scheme inside the door sills (on the bottom where you step into the car). If anyone happens to have photos of your sills that would help me I would appreciate your posting these. Thanks!!

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think the sills are 'all' black -- the color of the alumninum piece, plus the rubber "Ferrari" inset. That area gets A LOT of wear & tear when you enter the car, so the wrinkle-black finish probably makes good sense.

Check out this eBay auction for a good example of painter rocker panels, with black sills:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463794846&category=6212

(I actually spoke with this seller and thought he was A+, but ended up finding a car closer to home. IMHO, I love the color of that one...)

I'm considering an upgrade to the Carbon Fiber sills from an F-chat sponsor. Anyone want to buy my OEM sills & rubber inserts for a 90 348ts ?

-Daniel

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I believe the car color ends (and the rocker color begins), in a weld/joint area beneath your sills. If you examine the sill carefully, there's a small lip (1/4 inch?) area that bends downward into rocker. The color change (actually, it's a PART change) is probably under that sill area.

The sill itself should be entirely removed from the car before painting your rocker panel. Once the sill is removed, I'd probably have the paint applied to the rocker and all the area underneath the (removed) sill -- which seems prone to rust. You can easily remove the sills yourself before driving over to the bodyshop.

If you're color matching the rockers to the rest of the car. In fact, I'd bet the color undneath your sills is red -- just like your door jambs.

I dunno if I answered your question, maybe I had too many Diet Cokes today

Best Regards,
    Daniel

5. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    #5 kenster888, Mar 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thanks everyone for the follow-up! This really helped!