Rental Ferrari crash on LSD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rental Ferrari crash on LSD

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed. Often drove it up and down in my Ferrari just for the fun it is. Beautiful scenery, boats on one side, glorious architecture on the other.

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    One of the best views, if not the best view, used to be from the ladies bathroom at the 95th (Bar on the 95th floor in the building formerly known as the John Hancock for the out of towners) One wall of the bathroom was all windows.

wdonnelly and alex like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Which all seasons do you use and how low of a temp would you drive them?
    Thanks...T

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    These ones. I had them on my mustang and had very few problems driving it when it was below 30. I didn’t intentionally drive the mustang in snow or ice but did occasionally misjudge the weather and had to drive the car for short distances in snow/ice. Not fun, because the Mustang had 350 torque and zero weight in the rear, but not scary on the Goodrichs. Got rid of the mustang in May for an LT4 vette. My guess is the Goodrichs will work just as well, if not better on the vette. I don’t plan to drive in snow or ice with the vette, but I do plan on driving it on cold sunny days every now and then to keep my sanity. I’ll let you know over the next few weeks. If you get them make sure they are the A/S Plus not the A/S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login [/Quote][/QUOTE]

tomc likes this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Mike posted this news clip with video of the crash in the other thread about the crash.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that. Clearly too fast for that turn. Almost made it.

My favorite part is the commentator stating that the car will go to an auto shop. Hmm, more likely to the junk yard. Well, at least the front turn signal is still working.

alex likes this.
  7. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
  8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    sammysaber and VAF84 like this.
  9. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Add to that a rookie driver being foolish.

10. SanVincenzo

SanVincenzo Rookie

Apr 4, 2018
    Well if he's really hitting it the turn at the far north end of "LSD" at Edgewater Beach could be a challenge.

tifosi12 likes this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #36 tifosi12, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Yes, or just the regular bumps and crests over the underpasses like Montrose.

BTW: Welcome to Ferrarichat!

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed. What sort of idiot rents a Ferrari to a 22 year old?:rolleyes:

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh yes...write off....

Island Guy likes this.
  14. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Brakes on all the way to impact, he just understeered straight into the wall

I think those are the OEM MPSS, but they are definitely summer tires and fairly low on tread
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wonder if there is a play there based on the fact that it had summer tires on (with low tread or not) and that they rented the car as such at the end of November in Chicago..

16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Night driving + black ice + excess speed + an inexperienced driver...it is a miracle that they were not seriously hurt. It speaks to the integrity of the car that they were well protected. Ferraris are not subject to crash tests. And oh, I forgot to mention summer tires! They should never be used when the temperature is below 45 degrees F.

Island Guy and tomc like this.
  17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So I drove the car about 65 miles yesterday. Upper 20s in the morning and upper 40s dropping to low 40s in the evening. The ASR kicked in twice on the ten mile ride in the morning. Both times were when the car was in 2nd and I stood on it at about 3500-4000rpm. Didn’t fishtail or anything like that, but it was enough to let me know it was too cold for hard acceleration through a corner. In the evening I drove about 50 miles +/- at varying speeds and the ASR never came on. The tires feel fairly grippy. Biggest difference is that the summer tires are 10mm wider in the front and 40mm wider in the back.

tomc likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Any precipitation or dry conditions? I have exercised the Porsche and Ferrari the last few days in upper 40s F temps, although sunny and bone dry. Both have summer tires, and only once did I think the back end was stepping out on me (the 911), but I try & keep the shenanigans to a minimum, and the nannies to the maximum in such conditions. As Alex said above, good testament to the safety of the F carsl that these young people were not seriously injured...T

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This was at night so in order to duplicate exactly you would have to do it at night and below freezing. I know last week Dallas went below freezing at night so you should be able to find a day down there soon to test with light frost.

tomc likes this.
  20. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    A classic case of MMTB (more money than brains...)

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sooo...who's going to be the first to test it out?:cool:

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not me! Living in the South for most of the last 35 years, I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather. Not to mention that the wife goes into super nagging mode if I suggest driving the Ferrari in sub 50F temps. The snowflake icon has come on exactly ONCE in my 5 years and 22K miles of ownership and it scared the carp out of me!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

23. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Dry roads. Just cold. Don’t plan to intentionally drive in the wet when it’s cold, but I’m sure I will get caught in the rain.